May 02, 2024, 12:45:06 AM

Author Topic: Advice against upcoming Warlock vs. Paladin match  (Read 16949 times)

Ravepig

• Ambassador
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Advice against upcoming Warlock vs. Paladin match
« on: March 10, 2017, 08:25:07 AM »
Within my local gaming group, we have two undefeated Mages. I have my undefeated Warlock, and my buddy has an undefeated Paladin. The two have yet to face off, though that is the match everyone in our group is wanting to see. I agree, it would be fun to square off to once and for all declare a single undefeated mage of Central Iowa.

That said, while I have two PVS sets, I have yet to actually play as the Paladin but know he has some nasty tricks when facing demons and non-living. For those well-versed in Paladin-play, what advice can you give this somewhat nervous Warlock for when he faces his arch-rival in the Arena? 

My initial thought is to just rush with the tried and true Fire Ring/Hawkeye strategy and fireball his arse up and down the arena. Throwing out a deathlock or poisone blood if needed- maybe load up on dissolves to keep him from getting that nasty sword to hand.

I love pairing the Warlock up with twin blood demons, but with the Paladin's banner and creature library, I'm not exactly wanting to give him time to build up either.

Thoughts, ideas and suggestions welcome!
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
No tree, it is said, can grow to heaven unless its roots reach down to hell. – Carl Jung

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • Out of the ashes, a new power will rise.
    • View Profile
Re: Advice against upcoming Warlock vs. Paladin match
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 09:02:02 AM »
Play fast, do not let him build up. Pressure him early so he can't build up a strong creature or super mage. Save dissolves for wand if possible, if you only have 2 or something, I would recomend adding a disarm to disable the guantlets for a round.
The Phoenix shall rise.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 09:10:16 AM »
I agree with Red here. The longer it goes the more it's in his favor. Keep the curse game going and bury him in hate. Which Warlock are you using?
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Ravepig

• Ambassador
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 09:13:55 AM »
I agree with Red here. The longer it goes the more it's in his favor. Keep the curse game going and bury him in hate. Which Warlock are you using?

Arraxian Crown. Yeah, I'm thinking rush. So, I have Eagle Claw boots to counter walls ready to go. Just trying to preemptively think thru what he might throw at me to mitigate the rush. He's going to know it's coming ha ha.
No tree, it is said, can grow to heaven unless its roots reach down to hell. – Carl Jung

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 09:15:00 AM »
I also think you want 1-2 other creatures so he can't focus them and the curses. Make him try to dispel/remove the curses and die to the creatures or try to kill the creatures and loose to the curses.
The Phoenix shall rise.

Ravepig

• Ambassador
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2017, 09:20:50 AM »
I also think you want 1-2 other creatures so he can't focus them and the curses. Make him try to dispel/remove the curses and die to the creatures or try to kill the creatures and loose to the curses.

What creatures do you have in mind? I stock this book with three blood demons, which has worked very well, and in truth, I have seldom even needed to cast. I've had two of them out at the most, and that was a game where I intentionally avoided the rush just to get the creatures out for fun. Or do you suggest, I stick with Blood demons and take the risk with his anti-demon tricks? Granted they are flying so that would create a problem for him.

Also, this guy loves  his healing spells. I mean like ridiculously loves them. After our matches Wednesday night when everyone indicated they wanted to see this particular match-up, he made a point to taunt me with the fact he has spells that heal even with finite life in play. I can't recall what those spells are off the top of my head, but it gave me cause for concern. Though, if I focus him with fire spell after fire spell, he would be wasting actions on healing. So, there's that.

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2017, 09:23:52 AM »
I believe he is talking about martyr's restoration? It removes 5 dmg and places it on the castor regarless of finite life. So cassiel could cast it. Also the new unicorn can heal through finite life.
Do you use sealed demon? He is a beast and elusive will help him hit the targets you need.
If you see cassiel, kill or chant of rage her. She is too good left alive.
The creature should be something that won't die easy. Does he use eye for an eye? If so, something that can heal would be preferable, not zombie brute as eye will just wreck him.
The Phoenix shall rise.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2017, 09:29:37 AM »
Yeah the unicorn removes two damage a turn through finite life. Cadsiel can cast Martyrs Restoration but that's almost all her life. It's a last ditch effort.

What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Ravepig

• Ambassador
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2017, 09:30:00 AM »
I believe he is talking about martyr's restoration? It removes 5 dmg and places it on the castor regarless of finite life. So cassiel could cast it. Also the new unicorn can heal through finite life.
Do you use sealed demon? He is a beast and elusive will help him hit the targets you need.
If you see cassiel, kill or chant of rage her. She is too good left alive.
The creature should be something that won't die easy. Does he use eye for an eye? If so, something that can heal would be preferable, not zombie brute as eye will just wreck him.

Oh yes, he will be bringing max eye for eye spells.

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2017, 09:31:51 AM »
Yeah the unicorn removes two damage a turn through finite life. Cadsiel can cast Martyrs Restoration but that's almost all her life. It's a last ditch effort.
Agreed, and if you put him on the defensive like that, he is spending less action hurting you.
I think I would add a dissolve if you only have 1. 2/3 dissolve and 1-2 curse item is preferable in this type of matchup I think. And mage wand would be very helpful as well.
Punish him for challenging you. Remove his armor and beat him to death while the curses work their magic.
The Phoenix shall rise.

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2017, 09:32:49 AM »
In that case, seeking dispel wand would be very helpful.
Or some way to heal your creatures, stop him from hitting them.
Surging wave works nicely.
The Phoenix shall rise.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2017, 09:34:05 AM »
Curse Item his fancy hear gear and pop Eye 4 Eye with expendable creatures.

Ravepig

• Ambassador
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2017, 09:35:17 AM »

I definitely like Seeking Dispel Wand and Surging Wave as a back up. I've also become very fond of Curse Item.

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2017, 09:37:10 AM »

I definitely like Seeking Dispel Wand and Surging Wave as a back up. I've also become very fond of Curse Item.
Don't rely on it to much. It should distract him from dealing with your threats though so that is nice.
GET rid of the banner if it shows up.
Akiro, hawkeye and fireball that thing.
The Phoenix shall rise.

Ravepig

• Ambassador
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2017, 09:38:30 AM »

Don't rely on it to much. It should distract him from dealing with your threats though so that is nice.
GET rid of the banner if it shows up.
Akiro, hawkeye and fireball that thing.

Yes, I agree 100%. Banner is a must-be-destroyed card.