April 18, 2024, 05:33:30 PM

Author Topic: Advice against upcoming Warlock vs. Paladin match  (Read 16895 times)

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • Out of the ashes, a new power will rise.
    • View Profile
Re: Advice against upcoming Warlock vs. Paladin match
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2017, 09:39:51 AM »
In that case, seeking dispel wand would be very helpful.
Or some way to heal your creatures, stop him from hitting them.
Surging wave works nicely.

I definitely like Seeking Dispel Wand and Surging Wave as a back up. I've also become very fond of Curse Item.
Don't rely on it to much. It should distract him from dealing with your threats though so that is nice.
GET rid of the banner if it shows up.
Akiro, hawkeye and fireball that thing.

Yes, I agree 100%. Banner is a must-be-destroyed card.
Problem is he could final qc it then pop it next round.
But then he will have very little mana and you should be able to finish him off.
Is the match going to be timed?
The Phoenix shall rise.

Ravepig

• Ambassador
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2017, 09:44:04 AM »
In that case, seeking dispel wand would be very helpful.
Or some way to heal your creatures, stop him from hitting them.
Surging wave works nicely.

I definitely like Seeking Dispel Wand and Surging Wave as a back up. I've also become very fond of Curse Item.
Don't rely on it to much. It should distract him from dealing with your threats though so that is nice.
GET rid of the banner if it shows up.
Akiro, hawkeye and fireball that thing.

Yes, I agree 100%. Banner is a must-be-destroyed card.
Problem is he could final qc it then pop it next round.
But then he will have very little mana and you should be able to finish him off.
Is the match going to be timed?

No, we don't like to play timed-matches. We've seen so many come-from-behind wins that all agree it's to the death.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
No tree, it is said, can grow to heaven unless its roots reach down to hell. – Carl Jung

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2017, 09:45:55 AM »
Ah that makes it better for him.
If he can outlast, he will win. Your job is to keep the pressure up and make all his choices bad ones.
The Phoenix shall rise.

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2017, 09:47:15 AM »
Show your Paladin friend the forums so that he can see all of the strategy you can or I'm putting an asterix next to your 'victory'. ;)

I'd be careful about being too aggressive.  Yes, aggression is good, but if you run out of gas vs an endurance mage like the paladin you are going to lose.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2017, 09:49:06 AM »
Show your Paladin friend the forums so that he can see all of the strategy you can or I'm putting an asterix next to your 'victory'. ;)

I'd be careful about being too aggressive.  Yes, aggression is good, but if you run out of gas vs an endurance mage like the paladin you are going to lose.
The paladin is not an endurance mage per say.
You can not let him build up though so lots of pressure is required.
The Phoenix shall rise.

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2017, 09:50:52 AM »

I'm not going to get into an argument about it with you as opinions vary, but suffice it to say, HOLY is an Endurance school and Paladin is basically fully trained in Holy.  Also, if he can last long enough to activate his auras (read: Endure) the game will most likely be his.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2017, 09:51:42 AM »

I'm not going to get into an argument about it with you as opinions vary, but suffice it to say, HOLY is an Endurance school and Paladin is basically fully trained in Holy.  Also, if he can last long enough to activate his auras (read: Endure) the game will most likely be his.
All true and valid points.
I just think he can run out of steam in the late game.
The Phoenix shall rise.

Ravepig

• Ambassador
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2017, 10:07:47 AM »

Well, you'll just have to put that asterisk next to my victory because my paladin friend hasn't been to the forum, even though I've tried to tell him how helpful it's been for me. I can't help it if I'm utilizing all my resources in preparation of a big match and he chooses not to ha ha!  :P Let's consider this a pre-match study and coaching session that he has declined.

That's the balance I'm trying to determine- rush damage vs. long-game endurance specific to the Paladin. I've always played either/or.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 10:10:15 AM by Ravepig »
No tree, it is said, can grow to heaven unless its roots reach down to hell. – Carl Jung

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2017, 10:53:26 AM »
Go for the later game kill if you need to.
Wardstone will be helpful if you curse him and he wants to remove curse or something
The Phoenix shall rise.

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2017, 01:18:59 PM »
If you can post your book, I could give you some feedback on what I think you should add to help you vs the specific matchup.
The Phoenix shall rise.

Ravepig

• Ambassador
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2017, 01:48:21 PM »
If you can post your book, I could give you some feedback on what I think you should add to help you vs the specific matchup.

I'll do that. I'll get it together this weekend and post. Thanks!!!

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2017, 01:51:29 PM »

I'll do that. I'll get it together this weekend and post. Thanks!!!
Great!
Sometimes vs certain mages/ books, you add cards to your toolbox. A perfect example of this is keej's warlord he played vs aridigas. He added certain cards in case aridigas went for certain mages. Fireball for druid, lightning bolt for force master, etc.
The Phoenix shall rise.

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2017, 02:03:51 PM »
Not seeing any book  from you (so maybe you already know this) but a really fun tactic against holy mages with Araxian crown is Rise Again. If you focus on their living creatures (which if they run banner they will probably have something), you can rise again before the kill then get the curse back and go onto the next creature. It's a way you can get a creature using only a quickcast. Griffins are really nice with that since they are fast and become normal speed after becoming a zombie!
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Ravepig

• Ambassador
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2017, 04:25:35 PM »
Not seeing any book  from you (so maybe you already know this) but a really fun tactic against holy mages with Araxian crown is Rise Again. If you focus on their living creatures (which if they run banner they will probably have something), you can rise again before the kill then get the curse back and go onto the next creature. It's a way you can get a creature using only a quickcast. Griffins are really nice with that since they are fast and become normal speed after becoming a zombie!

Actually, no- I had a copy in one of my books a while back, but never really got use out of it. That could be a fun tactic to try indeed- I like it! Thanks for the suggestion!

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2017, 04:30:58 PM »

Actually, no- I had a copy in one of my books a while back, but never really got use out of it. That could be a fun tactic to try indeed- I like it! Thanks for the suggestion!
If you know he likes angels, include 2-4 chant of rage.
Make sure to post a battle report!
The Phoenix shall rise.