March 28, 2024, 04:49:24 PM

Author Topic: The League of Extraordinary Mage Warriors  (Read 46279 times)

juli

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: The League of Extraordinary Mage Warriors
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2016, 02:53:46 PM »
Count me in aswell :)

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2016, 05:05:44 PM »
Count me in aswell :)

Are you juli on OCTGN?
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2016, 10:29:58 AM »
i really want to be in this event, but can forsee scheduling issues. so count me out. i am really sad to skip this, as i am sure it will be a great time. perhaps i can work on getting octgn set back up and play some pickup games with folks along the way.

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2016, 11:54:57 AM »
i really want to be in this event, but can forsee scheduling issues. so count me out. i am really sad to skip this, as i am sure it will be a great time. perhaps i can work on getting octgn set back up and play some pickup games with folks along the way.

Ditto.  Hope to get some practice games in with BigL16 (so I'm not such a n00b w.r.t. the OCTGN interface), then maybe join the league next season when things cool down in the fall.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 12:06:25 PM by iNano78 »

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2016, 06:46:13 PM »

I have never tried to play online, but once you get it figured out maybe you can help me with it. It will be a lot easier doing that while hanging out over your place, I would imagine.
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

gaspode77

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2016, 07:16:51 PM »
Am I on time yet?

Enviado desde mi Edison 3 mediante Tapatalk

SharkBait

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2016, 09:28:33 AM »
Alright,
After some last minute shuffling around, I think we're ready to kick this off. We have 14 participants in the league. Once everyone has played 13 matches (One against each other player), the top 4 records will go into a double elimination playoff to determine the winner of the first season of The League of Extraordinary Mage Warriors.

A couple of quick notes:
Scheduling:
I will list everyone's name and their first 3 opponents here and will update the front post. Everyone has 3 weeks from 22 May to play their first 3 opponents and report the result back. This gives a bit of scheduling flexibility so you can knock all 3 out right away if you want to (or have a week that's better than others). Any matches not reported will be counted as a draw for both players. If you have tried to contact your opponent and receive no response within a couple of weeks, let me know and I'll give you the win by forfeit instead.

Card Pool:

Any card available on OCTGN at the time of the match being played is legal for a book. Promos will be allowed as they are with the following exceptions: If the card has been released and has changed, the released version takes precedent. Ballista will be counted as Unique and War Mage Only.

Standings

Standings can be found >>HERE<<

Matchups for the time frame of 22 May - 11 June:

1. Drefan : BigL16, Drmambo, Sailor Vulcan

2. Schwenkgott : Drmambo, Ad_Yer, Juli

3. Frozen : Sailor Vulcan, gaspode77, Sharkbait

4. Biblofilter : Ad_Yer, Juli, DevilsVendetta

5. Coshade : gaspode77, Sharkbait, Kaarin

6. Kaarin: Juli, DevilsVendetta, Coshade

7. DevilsVendetta: Sharkbait, Kaarin, Biblofilter

8. Sharkbait: DevilsVendetta, Coshade, Frozen

9. Juli: Kaarin, Biblofilter, Schwenkgott

10. gaspode77: Coshade, Frozen, BigL16

11. Ad_Yer: Biblofilter, Schwenkgott, Drmambo

12. Sailor Vulcan: Frozen, BigL16, Drefan

13. Drmambo: Schwenkgott, Drefan, Juli

14. BigL16: Drefan, Sailor Vulcan, gaspode77

Prizes
I have also decided that the following prizes will be given out:
- The top 4 in the regular season will all receive their choice of Priestess or Warlock Academy
- The two mages who play in the final playoff match will receive the other in addition to their choice for making the playoffs (So the top 2 mages will receive BOTH academy sets)
- The Winner of the League of Extraordinary Mage Warriors season 1 will receive a copy of The Lost Grimoire in addition to the two academy sets and a Trophy to go with it (picture not available yet).

If there are any questions/concerns/I messed something up please let me know.
  • Favourite Mage: Adramelech Warlock
When in doubt, kill it with fire

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2016, 09:33:40 AM »
Am I on time yet?

Enviado desde mi Edison 3 mediante Tapatalk

Si, todavia puedes participar. :)

Tambien, "Yet" y "Still" no significan el mismo cosa en ingles. Lo siento, no intento criticar tu ingles, solo quise practicar mi espanol. :P

**Olvidalo, me ninjado por Sharkbait
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 09:36:06 AM by Sailor Vulcan »
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Drefan

• Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2016, 10:17:54 AM »
Really cool to see that you've added prizes.
Great initiative for what will hopefully be a great  tournament! :)
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
Octagon user: Drefan

Kaarin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2016, 12:34:18 PM »
Everyone, good luck and have fun.
Those are going to be great 13-15 weeks.

It's great to see the prizes.

How tiebreaks will be resolved?
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
OCTGN: Wstrzasniety (UTC+2)

SharkBait

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2016, 12:48:00 PM »
Everyone, good luck and have fun.
Those are going to be great 13-15 weeks.

It's great to see the prizes.

How tiebreaks will be resolved?

Good point. It'll be head to head record first, followed by strength of wins (more wins against higher ranked people)
  • Favourite Mage: Adramelech Warlock
When in doubt, kill it with fire

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2016, 01:00:20 PM »
Btw, has anyone ever actually had a game of Mage Wars Arena result in a draw without going to time?

Like say, player 1 has 33/34 damage and a magebane on themself, casts a fireball on his opponent to finish them off?

Or two players simultaneously dying from burn/rot/etc in upkeep or something?

I have been playing Arena for several years and I've never seen it happen.

Kaarin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2016, 01:26:26 PM »
Btw, has anyone ever actually had a game of Mage Wars Arena result in a draw without going to time?

Like say, player 1 has 33/34 damage and a magebane on themself, casts a fireball on his opponent to finish them off?

I know it happened in my group once.
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
OCTGN: Wstrzasniety (UTC+2)

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2016, 05:47:54 PM »
Just won my first league match using the new and improved version of the Frugal Warlock (core set x1 only), against BigL16's Anvil Throne Warlord. It was an awesome match.

I cheetah speeded myself then ran to NC, cast nullify on self. He conjured a battle forge, moved and cast a moonglow amulet. I summoned my dark pact slayer bloodreaper and put magebane on him. He equipped himself from his forge and moved to NC then cast another forge. I teleported him away from his forges and tanglevined him, then started attacking along with my dark pact slayer bloodreaper.

I started to get worried when he conjured a harshforge monolith, making me pay upkeep for my magebane, nullify, and cheetah speed, but I persevered. He basic melee attacked the tanglevine, boosted by his gauntlets of strength to do 7 damage to it. I put bear strength on my slayer and continued to attack him, albeit with less mana than i would like. I was on a time limit. He had destroyed my tanglevine. Once I had enough damage on him I put poisoned blood on him. Worried he might try to teleport away and put a wall between us, I made the mistake of trying to put a force hold on him instead of a tanglevine. I had forgotten that i had to pay 2 extra to cast the force hold on him because of his harshforge plate. I only had 1 mana left. He dispelled the poisoned blood and used minor heal on himself, going from 26 to 21 damage then back up to 23 from magebane.

BigL16 had 4 armor, a veteran's belt and 2 defenses on him, but it was not enough to stop my final assault. I used my basic melee attack on him for 1 damage, and then my bloodreaper attacked. 8 dice, piercing 2 is no joke. Against a 4 armor target, he would probably do about or close to 6 damage on aveage, which would have been only 4 away from victory. Then I would have finished him off during the next round's first quickcast phase once I had initiative.

It wasn't necessary. Dark Pact Slayer got past the BigL16's last defense, and dealt a whopping 7 normal and 5 critical damage. 2 of those crits were converted to normal by the veteran's belt, making 9 normal and 3 critical. Dark Pact Slayer has piercing +2, so adding 3+(9-2) to 24 damage

=VICTORY!!!!

In retrospect, I was pretty lucky to get past both his defenses from dancing scimitar and reflex boots (although the fact that he didn't put his rune of shielding on either the scimitar or the boots might have helped make my victory more likely.) I should have cast tanglevine on him instead of force hold. Fortunately, by the time I made that one mistake, I already had a huge damage lead, and the Dawnbreaker was smiling on me.

In the end I managed to survive without taking any damage, but it was a close call. BigL16 seemed to be on the verge of turning things around the entire game, and I had to stay on my toes. I suspect that my fast and aggressive tactics took him by surprise, and that he was totally caught off guard when I teleported him away from his two battle forges.

Looking forward to my next match!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 05:50:25 PM by Sailor Vulcan »

bigfatchef

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2016, 05:52:43 PM »

I know it happened in my group once.
I've had that. We both burned to death in upkeep phase both playing a war lock. It was hilarious! I think it was one of the most fun games I ever played.