April 29, 2024, 10:30:41 PM

Author Topic: Mind Spawnpoint  (Read 14445 times)

KaneKalos

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Mind Spawnpoint
« on: November 11, 2015, 11:39:35 AM »
ive been wondering for a little while what a spawn point for the force master would look like and I've got a couple ideas I'd like to throw out to see if anything sticks. (I'm attempting to make my Psylock swarm more viable.)

The idea I had would be to make the spawn point an equipment item for the force master (also an equipment/conjuration fusion crossed my mind, though how exactly that would work I'm not sure or if any cards like that are possible for MW.). Equipment could be a helmet (possibly autonomous to leave room for a psi orb?) or something that would focus the energy from the mages mind magic (it could have an ability such as "add 1 mana for every force spell you cast"). or an autonomous conjuration that was a copy of the mages brain that was floating alongside the Mage?

Just curious to know if the mind school or the force master would ever see a spawn point so I can go into a tournament and win it all with my Psylock swarm!
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
Heitai-san wa yukande; itsudemo kimi no soba ni iru.

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
Re: Mind Spawnpoint
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2015, 02:52:56 PM »
I don't think there will be any plans for a forcemaster spawnpoint soon. The next release is Paladin Vs Siren so any chance of will probably have to wait for an alternate Forcemaster.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

KaneKalos

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2015, 11:43:02 PM »
I thought so, too. I was just wondering what such a card would look like!

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2015, 11:54:29 PM »
I've always imagine thoughtspores as literally appearing as a huge fleshy pimple on the top of the mages head and it slowly grows until it pops off (and takes a spell with it) and flies off on its own. I imagine a spawnpoint would be equally as disgusting :D

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2015, 07:07:51 AM »
I've always imagine thoughtspores as literally appearing as a huge fleshy pimple on the top of the mages head and it slowly grows until it pops off (and takes a spell with it) and flies off on its own. I imagine a spawnpoint would be equally as disgusting :D

Oh, hello nightmare fuel! I see you come in unleaded now.

Cognitive Protothallium. Mind 4 Creature. Spawnpoint, Rooted, Uproot 1, Flying. Channeling 1.

When you summon Cognitive Protothallium, it may prepare any number of Mind Creatures, and it may summon one each deployment phase. The prepared spells cannot be changed.

I'm imagining clusters of undifferentiated tissue, arranged into fronds, swaying gently, with Thoughtspores as the gently levitating fruited bodies of each stalk seeking to float away, arranged like the kernels of a grain protruding from a stem. Beneath the gills on its back, the Thalius itself clings to the ground, straining to hold down its wayward and drifting spores until they ripen.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 08:57:14 AM by ringkichard »
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

KaneKalos

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2015, 09:41:10 AM »

Hahaha. I'm picturing a Forcemaster/Garbage Pail Kids crossover card.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Mind Spawnpoint
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2015, 10:07:56 AM »

Cognitive Protothallium. Mind 4 Creature. Spawnpoint, Rooted, Uproot 1, Flying. Channeling 1.

When you summon Cognitive Protothallium, it may prepare any number of Mind Creatures, and it may summon one each deployment phase. The prepared spells cannot be changed.

I'm imagining clusters of undifferentiated tissue, arranged into fronds, swaying gently, with Thoughtspores as the gently levitating fruited bodies of each stalk seeking to float away, arranged like the kernels of a grain protruding from a stem. Beneath the gills on its back, the Thalius itself clings to the ground, straining to hold down its wayward and drifting spores until they ripen.

Or you could give it the dissipate 4 trait instead. Also should not have channeling because thoughtspores have channeling. And should have a regular summon action rather than deploy.

Also, rooted uproot 1 and flying? That reminds of the necrotising vampiress.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 10:14:27 AM by Sailor Vulcan »
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2015, 10:33:15 AM »

This sounds awesomely gross. It's like a pile of biomass just waiting for DNA to sequence properly. Totally see it being like garbage pale kids.

Moonglow

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2015, 03:52:05 PM »

Or you could give it the dissipate 4 trait instead. Also should not have channeling because thoughtspores have channeling. And should have a regular summon action rather than deploy.

Also, rooted uproot 1 and flying? That reminds of the necrotising vampiress.

Why not channeling, the Warlord has channeling on the armory and on Gurmash, there are probably other examples.  It could be limited in other ways rather than channeling. Like the battleforge just limiting to a certain spell type, or even just to mind spells. 

An interesting idea from the dissipate could be an illusion caster; that it can cast any creature as level 1, the creature appears as active, but the creature comes with a dissipate x (x = creature level).  So throw out a bitterwood fox that will last a level, more scary a bloodcrag or something that will disappear in 4 turns. 

I'd make it incorporeal to give it some resilience as it'd be a key target when combating a forcemaster.

Gogolski

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2015, 11:17:22 AM »
Something extremely powerfull for the forcemaster's spawnpoint is casting creatures from your oponents spellbook. The only creature cast by the spawnpoint would be the cantrip force-clone with a cost of X and allowing the forcemaster to look through the oponents creatures. The chosen creature would cost double mana and have an upkeep cost equal to their level. (It has a force-clone token to indicate this.) If the creature dies, it goes back to the oponents spellbook.

It would be in line with the forcemaster having a difficult time putting creatures in his book and controlling the oponents stuff...

Then again, I think a bunch of people would ban such a card and burn it as soon as they get their hands on it... :)

Moonglow

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2015, 02:10:57 PM »
How would you implement it in practice? Just hand over your spellbook?  Seems a little harsh as it not only gives the forcemaster a creature but deprives you of yours. I guess the costs are high, but there's also a free peek at your book that seems to break the meta a little.

Something extremely powerfull for the forcemaster's spawnpoint is casting creatures from your oponents spellbook. The only creature cast by the spawnpoint would be the cantrip force-clone with a cost of X and allowing the forcemaster to look through the oponents creatures. The chosen creature would cost double mana and have an upkeep cost equal to their level. (It has a force-clone token to indicate this.) If the creature dies, it goes back to the oponents spellbook.

It would be in line with the forcemaster having a difficult time putting creatures in his book and controlling the oponents stuff...

Then again, I think a bunch of people would ban such a card and burn it as soon as they get their hands on it... :)

Gogolski

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2015, 10:24:55 AM »
How would you implement it in practice? Just hand over your spellbook?  Seems a little harsh as it not only gives the forcemaster a creature but deprives you of yours. I guess the costs are high, but there's also a free peek at your book that seems to break the meta a little.
Maybe the oponent of the forcemaster must hand over the creatures. He does not have to hand all of them over, but will not be able to cast the ones he didn't hand over later in the game. If there are multple copies of the same creature, he only has to hand over one to be able to cast the others later...

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2015, 08:55:33 AM »
I could envision a Forcemaster-only spawn point that starts with 2 or 3 spore markers.  Can only summon Mind creatures.  Each time it deploys a Mind creature, remove a spore marker.  This would still have the benefit of being a quick action (to cast the spawn point, which could either be a conjuration or a Cerebro helmet or something), freeing up the Forcemaster's full actions for movement and/or melee attack, but limited to a fixed number of creatures that it can spew out.

I wouldn't mind it competing with the Psi Orb's equipment slot.  Psi Orb is better if you're focusing on solo combat (for your Dancing Scimitar, Force Hold, Forcefield, etc) and/or buddy (using Invisible Stalker specifically), whereas this spawn point helmet would be for a Thoughtspore (or Psylok? or any future Mind creatures...) focused strategy.

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2015, 11:34:46 AM »
I could actually see Psyloks being used if there ever was a mind spawnpoint.

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2015, 05:53:13 PM »
How about a Spawnpoint that channels and provides the Cantrip trait to Thoughtspores? No new special rules required.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin