April 28, 2024, 03:03:35 AM

Author Topic: The Yearly MageWars Web-League: rules, registration, membership list, help, news  (Read 31133 times)

aridigas

• Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Sounds great! I'd love to be part of a league-team, so count me in!

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
What? No teams yet? Where is everybody?
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

V10lentray

• Member of Arcane Duels
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
if I only knew how to use OCTGN I would play in the 1v1 group.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
Ray,

I'm sure anyone here would be happy to instruct you in the ways of OCTGN whilst (and at the same time!) being summarily destroyed by your great mage-ly-ness.  If you would prefer to stay in with your wife and child on Tuesday this week I would be happy to fire up some OCTGN and show you the commands.

--Puddnhead

V10lentray

• Member of Arcane Duels
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
we get her mom to come over on Tuesdays to watch the baby so we can go to game night. 

but I'm free WED-FRI to learn.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Also, the 1v1 and 2v2 are not separate leagues. Participants agree on an approved format at the start of the league match.  Just thought I should point that out.
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
I am registering my team. Sorry Ironlegionairre but I HIGHLY doubt we'll be able to come up with a team name that we all can agree on. The following team name is IMO good enough to be impressive to both friends and enemies alike:

Akiro's Favorites
Ironlegionairre
murphy
Sailor_Vulcan(henry_ketchup)
ACG(acg)

Come on and register your teams people! It's already February!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 07:19:48 PM by Sailor Vulcan »

Schwenkgott

• Thunderdome
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Looking for members :)
Akiro, I have never prayed to you before. No one will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that one stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Akiro... so grant me strength! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!

Schwenkgott

• Thunderdome
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
hmm i would not separate the two formats 1on1 and 2on2. why not allowing teams to play in what ever format they want to play? in the end, its always team against team. the 2on2 format will not be played very often anyway.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 10:35:00 AM by Schwenkgott »
Akiro, I have never prayed to you before. No one will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that one stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Akiro... so grant me strength! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile

hmm i would not separate the two formats 1on1 and 2on2. why not allowing teams to play in what ever format they want to play? in the end, its always team against team. the 2on2 format will not be played very often anyway.

Because imbalanced formats might bias the results, and those two formats are the only ones that I thought people would all agree were sufficiently balanced.

Then again, if both teams agree on the format then I suppose it doesn't matter too much. I'll add a few more and then if anyone has some requests I might add those too.

Schwenkgott

• Thunderdome
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Team:

Natural Selection

Members so far:

Schwenkgott
Juli
Schneeente
Master Ruprecht
Aridigas
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 02:52:52 PM by Schwenkgott »

theasaris

• Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
I'd be interested too, however I'm now a fan of 2v2. Are there or have there been plans to run a "normal" league for individual players?

Schwenkgott

• Thunderdome
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
You team does not have to play 2vs2 format. Your choice.

theasaris

• Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Ok, didn't read the opening post too closely. But then I'm wondering: Why teams in the first place? Why not just run a normal league where anybody can participate as long as a minimum number of games against different opponents is played?

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Ok, didn't read the opening post too closely. But then I'm wondering: Why teams in the first place? Why not just run a normal league where anybody can participate as long as a minimum number of games against different opponents is played?

This way encourages more experienced players to help each other and their less skilled teammates improve their game, more dialogue and brainstorming more often to optimize spellbooks and play beyond the forums. With a team there's more incentive to help strengthen the weaker players since you will be working together to get your team to win, even if you're not always playing team games. Hoping it will raise the population of competent and skilled MW players, I'm thinking it will encourage more participation from newer and less skilled players. We have a community of over 4000, but the majority are rarely active.

Also, having teams allows for the league to have a variety of legal formats, for both team games and non-team games. Otherwise we would have to make completely separate leagues for every format, since it's not fair to base an individual player rating on both team games and non team games, since having teammates that are more skilled or compatible with you would give you an advantage over equally skilled players that didn't happen to have such teammates when they play team games. However, a purely 2v2 league (using Lifebonded format; the optimal team rules that Zuberi came up with and Schwenkgott improved upon), would wither and die with the level of participation it has now, and that's the most popular variant. I'm hoping this league will make it so that variants like life-bonded 2v2 will have their own actual metagames.

Also, I'm betting that teams with cool names will create more enthusiasm and hype than individual players. It will make people feel more involved with the game and with the community.

I'm still hoping that the old league's challenge board gets updated again though, since it would still be good for players to see their individual win/loss ratio in each format and compare to other players so they can have a useful way to measure their progress (as well as the occasional bragging rights).
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 05:38:30 PM by Sailor Vulcan »