April 25, 2024, 09:12:29 AM

Author Topic: A Priest that works...  (Read 22748 times)

Arlemus

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: A Priest that works...
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2014, 01:22:08 AM »
Dawnbreaker Ring does not boost a Battle Fury attack. It does boost a Pillar of Light attack and a Staff of Asyra attack in the same round though.

Oh right, the second hit from battle fury would be considered part of the same attack and so you'd only get the buff for the first swing like normal. 
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer

Shifthappens

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2014, 07:51:22 AM »
dang, should have reread [mwcard=MW1I02] Battle Fury[/mwcard] (thanks for the info Arlemus)

also, once FiF is out, i believe the worst opponent for the priest would be the warlock. Flinging back the burns is pretty harsh on the priest
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 06:47:34 PM by Shifthappens »

pete2

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2014, 06:14:06 AM »

If you need a guard, make a HA cleric.  They are the least expensive way to get that 5 extra hp, and if someone manages to get to your mage, their attack is actually respectable with the HA buff (4dice, 1 pierce).  Even if it ends up they are useless a turn, they can still heal you.

first of all thanks a lot for all these tips..i'm definitely gonna put your advice in my Priest spellbook !
i think i will make some space for asyrian clerics, an elemental wand, enough pillars and some acid balls...
I just had one more question about above made quote : let's say you have the cleric on guard in your priest's zone..your mage gets melee attacked, but its redirected to your cleric. the cleric survives the attack. Does the cleric then get the +2 and piercing +1 abilities form his HA ? in other words : 1) is your mage considered to be a "friendly" creature ? 2) was your mage the target of the attack ?

i would love to see your build of the priest, Arlemus...
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

pete2

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2014, 07:26:58 AM »

here's my amended version of My Priest spellbook : i've worked on the pillar of light theme and made some space for clerics to use as guards...You guys think i could go into the arena like this ?

[spellbook]
[spellbookheader]
[spellbookname]MyPriest[/spellbookname]
[mage]A Priest Spellbook[/mage]
[mage]built by the OCTGN SBB[/mage]
[/spellbookheader]
[spells]
[spellclass]Attack[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MW1A11]4 x Pillar of Light[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNA01]2 x Acid Ball[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1A04]1 x Fireball[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1A06]1 x Flameblast[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Conjuration[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MW1J08]1 x Hand of Bim-Shalla[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1J04]1 x Battle Forge[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1J12]2 x Mana Crystal[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1J22]1 x Tanglevine[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Creature[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MW1C20]1 x Highland Unicorn[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKC06]1 x Guardian Angel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1C22]1 x Knight of Westlock[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1C31]1 x Samandriel, Angel of Light[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1C02]2 x Asyran Cleric[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Enchantment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MW1E28]1 x Mongoose Agility[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E03]1 x Bull Endurance[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E29]2 x Nullify[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E05]2 x Cheetah Speed[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWE03]1 x Falcon Precision[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E20]1 x Harmonize[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E25]1 x Maim Wings[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWPROMO17]1 x Critical Strike[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E01]2 x Bear Strength[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E36]1 x Rhino Hide[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKE04]1 x Enchantment Transfusion[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E32]1 x Regrowth[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Equipment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKQ06]1 x Eagleclaw Boots[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q11]1 x Gauntlets of Strength[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q06]1 x Dragonscale Hauberk[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q27]2 x Dawnbreaker Ring[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q23]1 x Regrowth Belt[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q29]2 x Staff of Asyra[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q15]1 x Leather Boots[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q09]1 x Enchanter's Ring[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q19]1 x Mage Wand[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q08]1 x Elemental Wand[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNQ10]1 x Meditation Amulet[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q16]1 x Leather Gloves[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Incantation[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MW1I07]2 x Dissolve[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I02]1 x Battle Fury[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I06]3 x Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I28]1 x Teleport[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I12]1 x Force Push[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I14]1 x Heal[/mwcard]
[/spells]
[cost]Total cost: 120 pts[/cost]
[/spellbook]

Arlemus

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2014, 07:59:49 AM »

If you need a guard, make a HA cleric.  They are the least expensive way to get that 5 extra hp, and if someone manages to get to your mage, their attack is actually respectable with the HA buff (4dice, 1 pierce).  Even if it ends up they are useless a turn, they can still heal you.

first of all thanks a lot for all these tips..i'm definitely gonna put your advice in my Priest spellbook !
i think i will make some space for asyrian clerics, an elemental wand, enough pillars and some acid balls...
I just had one more question about above made quote : let's say you have the cleric on guard in your priest's zone..your mage gets melee attacked, but its redirected to your cleric. the cleric survives the attack. Does the cleric then get the +2 and piercing +1 abilities form his HA ? in other words : 1) is your mage considered to be a "friendly" creature ? 2) was your mage the target of the attack ?

i would love to see your build of the priest, Arlemus...

1) Yup, he is.

2) Nope, he wasn't.  Guarding doesn't "redirect" anything, you have to target guards with melee attacks in the zone they're guarding (barring other circumstances).

Basically, when an enemy creature attacks and damages one of your creatures that isn't the Holy Avenger, the creature that IS the Holy Avenger gets the +2 melee, +1 pierce against it.  This means that if a creature damages your HA, it won't get the  buff against that creature.

The way I think of it is that your HA gets mad because he saw a friendly get hit, and thus wants to avenge them...in a holy way  :P.  He doesn't avenge himself.  Maybe that's more confusing, but at least that's how I think of it thematically.

Arlemus

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2014, 08:54:04 AM »
That build looks better.  I'll post my book after I take a nap  :P.  There's a couple things I would still change:

1).  You should probably still have a zone attack.  Because Priest relies on forge and not Temple of Asyra (from my experience), you could get swarmed out without a zone attack. 

I currently use [mwcard=mw1a01]Blinding Flash[/mwcard] because it's in school and accomplishes pretty much everything I need a zone attack to (attack canceling).  Ring of Fire is obviously a great option too.

2).  You probably don't need 2 mana crystal and harmonize.  I'd say at most 1 crystal and harmonize, or 2 crystals (1 to replace the first), and that's pushing it for the Priest, I think.  I've tried a double crystal + forge opener with him and it just sets him too far behind, then he loses to 10 channel mages late game anyway.  My goal isn't to channel much early, it's to get Malakai's fire ticking ASAP.

3).  I don't think [mwcard=mw1c20]Highland Unicorn[/mwcard] is a good creature for the priest.  I think I'd much rather have a [mwcard=mw1c22]Knight of Westlock[/mwcard] in every cirucmstance.  They're meatier and they don't need to charge for their 5 dice, but I guess it's your book  :P. (I prefer Unicorns with the Priestess)

4).  You don't really need Bull Endurance.  I can't really think of a reason to use it over Healing Charm...especially considering Healing Charm can surprise cancel bloodthristy and is in school.  Holy Avenger is basically a better version of Bull Endurance for less mana anyway (albeit restricted to holy creatures).

5).  Don't really see the point of a mage wand except to bind that Heal to it,  Probably would just be better to put in a 1 or 2 minor heals instead,  A good opponent isn't going to let you battle fury or force push them over and over.

6).  Meditation Amulet is for builds that utilize multiple spawnpoints such that it renders their full actions expendable.  For Druid, Necro, and maybe the Priestess (haven't tried it with her yet, should soon), but not someone as action starved as the Priest, IMO.

7).  Put in a [mwcard=DNQ07]Veteran's Belt[/mwcard], and maybe drop that regrowth belt.  One of your main goals is to stack armor, and Vet belt will block the crits that get through.  You have regrowth anyway, so if you really want regen I'd just use that instead (and reveal it during upkeep).

I guess that was more than a couple things  :P

pete2

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2014, 09:07:39 AM »
woow...but some very nice things ! I will work on those !! great !

..i was still kinda hesitating about HA, so if you don't mind :
in other words : if an opposing creature or a mage comes into your zone to attack you, where you have your own mage and the HA cleric, in order to have your HA cleric to be able to make his +2 melee and +1pierce attack, you have to let your opponent make an attack against your mage ? if you use the HA cleric as a guard he will have his 2 dice counterstrike, and in its own phase he will not be able to use its +2 / +1 because it was the HA cleric itself who was the target of the attack, and not the mage ? i'm just trying to be sure about the mechanic and the strategy i can use with HA...

but don't feel obliged to answer that right away...do enjoy that nap first ! for me you earned it ! :-)

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2014, 09:35:50 AM »
@Arlemus gives some very good and strong advice. I do disagree with some of it though. If you take 3, 5, and 7 what you have done is removed two of three(HoB) forms of passive healing out of your book and added in an action based solution with Minor Heal. For me with the Priest if there is some that I feel starved of other than Mana it is actions. Battleforge goes a long way in helping this but still you will find early to mid-game that you are making choices and choosing a Minor Heal will be painful vs. throwing on that belt to help Heal each round.

The Unicorn itself makes an awesome HA, I have found that it is so distracting many times my opponent focuses on it and that is a good thing, as that regeneration and extra life come in real handy. I have had both [mwcard=FWE07]Mind Control[/mwcard] and [mwcard=MW1I26]Sleep[/mwcard] used on it (and any HA in general) which is why I have added the [mwcard=DNQ09]Wand of Healing[/mwcard] to my battle forge based Priest build.

The Holy Avenger can only avenge when other friendly creatures are damaged but not itself.

My favorite Holy Avengers are the Temple High Guards hope they make the cut in PvS!
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Arlemus

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2014, 05:48:31 PM »
@Arlemus gives some very good and strong advice. I do disagree with some of it though. If you take 3, 5, and 7 what you have done is removed two of three(HoB) forms of passive healing out of your book and added in an action based solution with Minor Heal. For me with the Priest if there is some that I feel starved of other than Mana it is actions. Battleforge goes a long way in helping this but still you will find early to mid-game that you are making choices and choosing a Minor Heal will be painful vs. throwing on that belt to help Heal each round.

The Unicorn itself makes an awesome HA, I have found that it is so distracting many times my opponent focuses on it and that is a good thing, as that regeneration and extra life come in real handy. I have had both [mwcard=FWE07]Mind Control[/mwcard] and [mwcard=MW1I26]Sleep[/mwcard] used on it (and any HA in general) which is why I have added the [mwcard=DNQ09]Wand of Healing[/mwcard] to my battle forge based Priest build.

The Holy Avenger can only avenge when other friendly creatures are damaged but not itself.

My favorite Holy Avengers are the Temple High Guards hope they make the cut in PvS!

Yeah I think regrowth belt is a better move than healing yourself with an action; sIKE is right.  I still contest #'s 3 and 5, though. 

I just don't like making higher level creature HA's without a really, really good reason, especially considering you can still have a low cost effecient cleric HA and just summon a bigger creature anyway.  Also gives more avenging opportunities for the HA.  It's definitely good since healing wand isn't a promo anymore and it makes taking care of bigger creatures a lot easier (espeically with forge), just comes down to playstyle.

I've never really thought of the extra 1 regen from the Unicorn as a good reason to bring it out unless you have 2+ other creatures out as well...it's also sortof a nonbo with regrowth belt.  Maybe I'm just bad and unicorn is the hotness, alas :P

I hope Temple High Guard makes it in too, their "first strike"-ish ability is soo good.  Though, while it might seem contradictory to what I've been saying, my favorite HA is still the Knight.  I once 1 shotted a Cervire with an avenging Knight (Cervire had hit my mage) by qc'ing knockdown on it then hitting it with the Knight's 7 dice 1 pierce.  Obviously I rolled like 4 up, but still, it might be my favorite MW memory of all time, lol.

Brian VanAlstyne

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2014, 08:39:48 PM »
By Temple High Guard do you mean the Asyran Defender or Joseph Trueblood or another card I'm unaware of?

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
  • www.magewars.weebly.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2014, 09:06:55 PM »
By Temple High Guard do you mean the Asyran Defender or Joseph Trueblood or another card I'm unaware of?

No, no. Another amazing card :D

Visit my Mage Wars blog at www.magewars.weebly.com, also check me out on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MageWarsBlog and on twitter at @MageWarsBlog

Brian VanAlstyne

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2014, 10:21:32 PM »
Me wanty. When is that coming out? Where can I get promos of it?

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
  • www.magewars.weebly.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2014, 10:44:16 PM »
Me wanty. When is that coming out? Where can I get promos of it?

I would guess in PvS but only the playtesters know (actually, they might not even know yet).

Some promos are really hard to get. This is one of them. Ebay is usually one of the better places to find promos but I just checked and there aren't any of this particular one. & if there was it would probably be expensive since it would be the only one for sale. Personally I'd rather wait than spend $5+ on a single card. I know that's nothing compared to other games but still  :)
Visit my Mage Wars blog at www.magewars.weebly.com, also check me out on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MageWarsBlog and on twitter at @MageWarsBlog

Arlemus

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2014, 11:28:25 PM »
Temple High Guard would be so nasty with Defend, can't wait to do that.

We're getting kindof OT though, bring it innn.

lettucemode

« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2014, 08:40:42 AM »
Temple High Guard and all the other promos are available to play on OCTGN, for those who aren't aware. You can give them a shot on there before deciding if you want to buy them off eBay.

On topic, I really appreciate the discussion in this thread. @Arlemus, I think that +5 health is enough of a bonus that it's worth putting on any creature, efficiency aside. Also I'd much rather have a 7 dice piercing 1 attack than a 4 dice piercing 1 attack, know what I mean? Yes the cleric is more efficient for the same bonuses, but in the end you have an average creature when you could have had a wrecking machine. That's how it looks to me anyway.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 09:08:49 AM by lettucemode »