April 29, 2024, 07:17:04 AM

Author Topic: Holy Archers (Priestess) ; Superiority (Air Wizard)  (Read 3527 times)

EliteAvarice

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Holy Archers (Priestess) ; Superiority (Air Wizard)
« on: June 14, 2014, 02:16:30 AM »
Hello all!

My name's EliteAvarice, and I'm fairly new to Mage Wars, and new to the forums here. My wife and I have been playing for a few months now, and I thought it would be good to seek advice from some experienced players.

I'll open by saying that we have the 1x Original Set and 1x FM vs WL for our card library. We will probably expand to DvN in the near future.

So below are our (roughly) current spellbooks. I play the Priestess while my wife plays the Air Wizard. If the decks seem a little weird, it's because she and I only play with each other. Therefore our decks are chiefly centered around countering each other, as opposed to having a catch all strategy. I'll give an explanation of the general strategies we've used with the respective books. What I hope to gain is some insight into card additions/subtractions, strategy, and micro-theory.

To the books! In my head, I wanted to play a Warlord, but I really felt its options were just... underwhelming. So I gave it some thought and tried to manipulate the Priestess into being the Creature Support Mage I wished the Warlord to be. For strategy, my first goal is mana generation. More mana = more options. I open with 2x Mana Crystal with a single move left. I follow up with Moonglow, Storm Drake Hide, and a move into the Near Center. The NC zone serves from this point forward as my base of operations. I'll typically FC a Royal Archer and QC (reveal) a Hawkeye. My wife plays a very slow start, by this point my Royal Archer commands the field. Things are subject to change at this point, either I'll counter something she's done, or I'll FC another creature to gain the advantage. Mid-game is centered around my base of operations. Zone Enchants like Fortified Position and Sacred Ground, and the conjuration Archer's Tower allow me to command 80% of the field with my Archers; 100% if I've summoned Grimson. With the range advantage and a Brogan defense, I target her infrastructure and mana, then I eliminate her pesky range creatures, and then deliver the final blow to the Wizard.

[spellbook]
[spellbookheader]
[spellbookname][/spellbookname]
[mage]Priestess[/mage]
[/spellbookheader]
[spells]
[spellclass]Conjuration[/spellclass]
[mwcard=FWJ02]1 x  Archer's Watchtower[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWJ08]1 x  Renewing Spring[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1j12]2 x  Mana Crystal[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Creature[/spellclass]
[mwcard=FWC07]1 x  Grimson Deadeye, Sniper[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1c28]2 x  Royal Archer[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1c20]1 x  Highland Unicorn[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1c22]1 x  Knight of Westlock[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1c39]1 x  Valshalla, Lightning Angel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1c06]1 x  Brogan Bloodstone[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Enchantment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=FWE06]2 x  Fortified Position[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e01]1 x  Bear Strength[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e32]1 x  Regrowth[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e21]2 x  Hawkeye[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e37]1 x  Sacred Ground[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e11]1 x  Divine Intervention[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e03]1 x  Bull Endurance[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e12]2 x  Divine Protection[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e35]1 x  Reverse Magic[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e30]1 x  Pacify[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e29]2 x  Nullify[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e02]2 x  Block[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e36]1 x  Rhino Hide[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Equipment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1q07]1 x  Elemental Cloak[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q19]1 x  Mage Wand[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q22]1 x  Moonglow Amulet[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q23]1 x  Regrowth Belt[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWQ10]2 x  Storm Drake Hide[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Incantation[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1i17]2 x  Minor Heal[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i24]2 x  Seeking Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i28]2 x  Teleport[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i14]1 x  Heal[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i07]3 x  Dissolve[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i13]1 x  Group Heal[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i06]2 x  Dispel[/mwcard]
[/spells]
[cost]Total cost: 120 pts[/cost]
[/spellbook]

For my wife's current build, her main focus is generally trying to hold back the storm that is me. She's hesitant to play relatively aggressive, however I think that will change soon. Our last game was fairly close, some key rolls made the difference. I mentioned before that she has a very slow start. She opens Moonglow and Gate while moving 1 left. She follows up with 2x Mana Crystal, then again follows up with a Harmonize to her Gate and a 3rd Mana Crystal. With her Gate + Harmonize (+4 Mana if I cast twice) she can easily summon those pesky Arcane creatures. Until that time, she applies some harass and tries to prevent me from readily establishing zone control. Once she has some creatures out and some pressure, she attacks and tries to mana deny me. Usually by this time, however, I have 3 ranged creatures out, a Brogan in her face, and a Valshalla in the waits. She's torn between going full aggro with her mage and all of it's attacks, and trying to support her creatures. She's getting there though!

[spellbook]
[spellbookheader]
[spellbookname]Superiority[/spellbookname]
[mage]Wizard (Air)[/mage]
[/spellbookheader]
[spells]
[spellclass]Attack[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1a02]2 x  Chain Lightning[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1a13]1 x  Thunderbolt[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1a03]2 x  Electrify[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1a09]1 x  Jet Stream[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1a07]2 x  Lightning Bolt[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Conjuration[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1j07]1 x  Gate to Voltari[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1j12]3 x  Mana Crystal[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1j18]2 x  Poison Gas Cloud[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Creature[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1c09]1 x  Darkfenne Hydra[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1c35]1 x  Stonegaze Basilisk[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1c40]1 x  Whirling Spirit[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1c34]1 x  Steelclaw Grizzly[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1c24]2 x  Mana Leech[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1c18]1 x  Gorgon Archer[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Enchantment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1e01]1 x  Bear Strength[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e09]1 x  Agony[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e24]1 x  Magebane[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e36]1 x  Rhino Hide[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e06]1 x  Circle of Lightning[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e32]1 x  Regrowth[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e15]2 x  Essence Drain[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e38]2 x  Teleport Trap[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e05]2 x  Cheetah Speed[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e29]1 x  Nullify[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e35]1 x  Reverse Magic[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e20]1 x  Harmonize[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e27]1 x  Marked for Death[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e25]1 x  Maim Wings[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e03]1 x  Bull Endurance[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Equipment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1q11]1 x  Gauntlets of Strength[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q15]1 x  Leather Boots[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q32]1 x  Suppression Cloak[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q22]1 x  Moonglow Amulet[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q33]1 x  Wind Wyvern Hide[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q04]1 x  Deflection Bracers[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q19]1 x  Mage Wand[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q08]1 x  Elemental Wand[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q31]1 x  Staff of the Arcanum[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q17]1 x  Lightning Ring[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Incantation[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1i24]2 x  Seeking Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i17]1 x  Minor Heal[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i09]1 x  Drain Power[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i23]1 x  Rouse the Beast[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i07]2 x  Dissolve[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i06]3 x  Dispel[/mwcard]
[/spells]
[cost]Total cost: 120 pts[/cost]
[/spellbook]

I apologize for the length, but I wanted to be clear and offer as much foundation as possible in preparation for comments. Please feel free to comment and ask questions. I'm eager to learn!

V/R
EliteAvarice

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Archers (Priestess) ; Superiority (Air Wizard)
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 01:38:54 AM »
It sounds like you're both incredibly passive in the early game. A Gate to Voltari based Wizard doesn't need to spend 3 rounds boosting channeling.

Turn 1 (20): Gate to Voltari -> Harmonize (2)
Turn 2 (12) [2-4]: Mana Crystal -> Moonglow Amulet (1) [2-6]

Is probably enough.

When I play a Gate to Voltari based Wizard, I generally open

Turn 1 (20): Gate to Voltari -> Harmonize (2)
Turn 2 (12) [2-4]: Arcane Ring -> Moonglow Amulet (5) [2-6]

From that point I'll play a creature from Gate to Voltari during round 3, and start dropping creatures from Gate every other round or so. If my opponent isn't pressuring me, I might drop a few Mana Crystals to keep building up my channeling, but against someone being aggressive, it's better to play armor, start activating Voltaric Shield, and eliminating their threats.

The Wizard build doesn't have any Teleports!?! I would run 4, but if you only have one core set, run at least 2, probably 3. The Wizard needs them more badly than the Priestess. The Priestess can fall back on Divine Intervention for a similar effect, and she's not reliant on tons of Slow creatures, which is where Teleport is at it's best. Teleport is useful for everyone, but Slow creatures need the support more. Plus the Wizard can take Teleport cheaply.

Why do you run a Steelclaw Grizzly in a Gate to Voltari build? Don't get me wrong, Steelclaw Grizzly is a fantastic creature, but it works better in Battle Forge builds than in Gate to Voltari builds. You want creatures that you can summon out of your spawnpoint if you're investing all of that mana into playing it in the first place. Similarly, Whirling Spirit seems like an odd choice. In certain matchups it can be fantastic, but the Priestess has so much access to Ethereal attacks (although you don't really run most of those options) that I would rarely play one in that matchup. In addition, you cannot summon it with your Gate to Voltari. I would drop the Steelclaw and Whirling Spirit for an extra Darkfenne Hydra and 4 Teleports.

So far the Priestess build seems to have more of a comprehensive plan, although I would run a Rouse the Beast for the possibility of rushing my opponent with Grimson.

Turn 1 (20): Sprint to NC -> Archer's Watchtower (16)
Turn 2 (26): Grimson Deadeye Sniper -> Rouse the Beast (7)

Gives you full board coverage as early as turn 2, and forces your opponent to respond.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

EliteAvarice

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 08:32:03 PM »
I appreciate the feedback! The Wizard deck has undergone different modifications. My wife generally keeps to her Wizard deck while I make something new, then we pit them against each other, then modify slightly, and play some more. Rinse and repeat as I find inspiration for a new book. The end result for her deck is a strange amalgam of cards designed to try and counter whatever I come up with. Taking the hint from mine, maybe it would be best if she focused on her strategy and then just applied as necessary to whatever I decide.

The Steelclaw Grizzly came about because I took Brogan back from her when I wanted to make a Priestess deck. Brogan was originally in her deck to help stifle my Warlock Beatdown/ Lord of Fire Combo. She needed a strong front line and a strong Pierce. I took Brogan, but she wanted a strong melee creature still -- Grizzly. The Whirling Spirit was added in similar fashion, it could take out previous Incorporeal conjurations with ease, as well as slip into my back lines to destroy my infrastructure. We'll see what she comes up with if she removes those two.

How do you feel about the number of her attack spells? What about Circle of Lightning? We're under the impression that CoL isn't worth the mana. I've speculated that she could do more with Daze/Stun locking my creatures if she used more attack spells, but the opportunity hasn't presented itself yet.

For the Priestess, how do you feel about it's general gameplay? Often I spend turns not casting or doing much of anything other than attacking. I think the reason is my Incantations are centered around reactivity, as opposed to proactivity; in addition to not having any attacks. Then once all my creatures and/or enchantments are played, I'm just standing by. Maybe I'm overthinking, and this isn't a bad thing?

Death-from-above

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • This is some really personal text
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 07:26:46 AM »
Hello EliteAvarice!

Welcome to the Arena. I really like how you tried to meld the Warlord and the Priestess together. I will sort of give my 2 cents on some of the spells in each book. I have tried to get Renewing Springs to work for me, but to no avail. I can't seem to find a good spot in the middle of turns to go heal a creature that would be better off continuing their attack. Then again, I'm sure I am just playing it incorrectly.

Grimson is probably my third favorite creature. If used effectively with the archers tower, which you seem to be doing, he can have full range on the entire board. Unless your opponent likes getting sniped every round, they need to have an answer to him fast or he will rack up the damage. My only suggestion would be to somehow get the Staff of Asyra in there somewhere. This is one of the best weapon equipment in the game IMO and it will give your opponent yet another powerful attacker that they have to deal with. Overall, I like your set up.

For the Air Wizard, everything sdougla2 mentioned is the same thing I would say. Teleport is fantastic card for any mage and really helps with moving the slow creatures around. At least having 2 teleports and a mage wand to attach one to will help her move her slow creatures around. There isn't much else to say that wouldn't be repeating sdougla2. As for deciding between defensive and aggro, its all about taking the leap and trying out a different strategy. I myself am more of a defensive player and have yet to master a good aggressive opening that doesn't fall flat and leave me vulnerable. Its hard to break out of a playstyle that makes you feel more comfortable. All I can say for that is to try it out. Who knows; she might end up enjoying being more aggressive then defensive  ;D

I hope I made some sort of sense.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Why am I not a banana?"
"Because your genetic code dictates that you are human. However it should please you to know that you share 50-60% of your DNA with a banana."
"Thanks man"
"Are you telling me that some people are 10% more banana than other people?"

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 03:17:29 PM »
If she wants to play defensively to build up, I think she should take a few (2-4+?) Fog Banks. If deployed properly, a couple of these can turn your large investment in ranged creatures into a poor investment for a time. (You should have something that can do Ethereal damage... maybe just the enchant that grants it in case Brogan needs to take down some of these walls. You also will want to ensure that you have an Archer's Watchtower for Grimson.)

Also, she should bring out at least one Creature in the first couple of turns to be able to meet Brogan should he decide that he's not needed elsewhere. I personally won't have all of that mana generation (and I favor the Wizard)... I think that she can drop one of the Crystals... maybe two if she uses an Arcane Ring. Someone else already mentioned the usefulness of Teleport.

If you are not putting up walls, then she should dispel any enchantments that bother her the most... hawkeye on Grimson, Sacred Ground, etc. Wizards can play the counter enchantment game effectively. One special reason for her to use Seeking Dispel maybe a little more than usual is that she might remove a face down Holy enchantment, which will give your Priestess +1 life when revealed.

If you are aggressive, then she probably doesn't need the T-bolt. I'd put in the max of 4 Lightning Bolts instead. The Thunderbolt is 1) more expensive, 2) less efficient, and 3) a full action to cast. If she doesn't need to get the range three attack in, then she might be better served without it.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 03:21:05 PM by DaveW »
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess