March 29, 2024, 04:08:19 AM

Author Topic: What other games do you like?  (Read 33734 times)

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
  • www.magewars.weebly.com
    • View Profile
What other games do you like?
« on: April 21, 2014, 12:15:28 AM »
For many of us here, myself included, Mage Wars is our favorite game. However, I know there are many other games that people on the forum play.

So my question is, as the title suggests, what other games are you playing currently? Recently I've been playing alot of King of Tokyo. It's a short, fun game that's easy to get into and learn. It's great for almost any age and is a fantastic family game.

What is everybody else playing? (When not playing Mage Wars :P)
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
Visit my Mage Wars blog at www.magewars.weebly.com, also check me out on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MageWarsBlog and on twitter at @MageWarsBlog

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
Re: What other games do you like?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 12:25:15 AM »
7 Wonders is probably my next favorite game. It's quick, plays well with both small and large groups, requires a lot of attention, and involves a lot of difficult tactical decisions. The best card for yourself may be obvious, but you also have to consider what you're passing to your opponent and how that affects them. I have all of the expansions, my favorite of which is the Leaders expansion which gives you some direction as you play, thus making the game a little more strategic. It's still very much a tactical game rather than a strategic one though.

I also enjoy worker placement games and have been playing a lot of Lords of Waterdeep with the Scoundrels of Skullport expansion. The theme isn't too strong, but it's still a lot of fun. I've been trying to break out Agricola for a deeper Worker Placement experience, but not everyone in my group share's my appreciation of it. Some of them have made comments akin to "games shouldn't make you think." Blasphemy, I say.

One Night Ultimate Werewolf is also fun. It's basically just lying to people's faces, hehe.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 01:04:07 AM »
Oh man where to begin. I'm a locally ranked Hero Clix champion, having played it for 12 years now. I own a very nice collection I've spent a fortune on lol. Clix is just reflexive for me now as I'm capable of analyzing and breaking down enemy teams subconsciously. I hope to one day get to that level with Mage Wars. I play about 6 games of clix a week.

I'm an award winning game master for table top RPGs. In particular I'm a big fan of Scion: Hero, Changeling: The Lost, Deadlands, and Shadowrun. My favorite though is Werewolf: The Apocalypse and I even have a trival tattoo from he game on my left arm.

My favorite board game is Settlers of Cataan, I own a custom made board for it. I love Wiz War, Betrayal at House on the Hill, Bang, Tsuro, Munchkin(all versions), Axis and Allies(played 1914 yesterday), Small World, and Ticket to Ride. I'll play almost any board games those are just some of my favorites after Settlers.

I'm the worse Magic the Gathering player I know, just can not get into it and when I try I just embarrass myself.  :P I use to play Vampire: The Eternal Struggle though and Spycraft for my card game needs.

I got into gaming through Live Action Role Play, particularly the Minds Eye Theatre version of the World of Darkness games(hence the tattoo.) I've LARPed on and off since 1995 and ran my own Werewolf: The Apocalypse and eventually Vampire: The Masquerade games for about 4 years from 2002-2006.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 01:05:08 AM »

One Night Ultimate Werewolf is also fun. It's basically just lying to people's faces, hehe.

I've played this as well. Good game.
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 01:28:59 AM »
I play a lot of different games besides Mage Wars. BattleCON is my next favorite game. Some of my other favorites are Puzzle Strike, Mage Knight, 7 Wonders, Race for the Galaxy, and Pixel Tactics. I played a few games of City of Iron recently, and I really enjoy that, particularly 4 player.

I like Lords of Waterdeep with the expansion. I thought it was a little bit too bland with just the base game, but I like the addition of corruption. I've been playing Russian Railroads more than LoW recently. My problem with Agricola is not that games shouldn't make you think (with the amount of analysis I've put into Mage Wars, that is clearly not my position), but that I don't have fun playing it. I guess I just don't know how to accomplish things in Agricola in the face of competition, whereas the logic of the worker placement in LoW and RR is more intuitive to me. I kind of wonder if I would like it more now that I've played a good number of worker placement games, and I have a broader experience base to draw on in analyzing the game. I hated Caylus the first time I played it. I tried it again more recently, and, while I didn't like it, I didn't hate it anymore either. Still, I'm not curious enough to try it again.  :P

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 02:51:03 AM »
The key feature of Agricola is the cards you're dealt. These create an asymmetrical situation among the players where you'll each be able to approach the game in a different way. These special powers that nobody else has is what makes the game great to me. LoW has intrigue cards, which are great, but the cards in Agricola actually change the rules of the game and what you're able to do from then on.

I really want to try Caverna out though. It still has the special powers, although they're now tiles up for grab instead of cards being dealt out, and it is a lot more forgiving which allows for more experimentation and diversity of strategies.

kiwipaul

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 05:46:52 AM »
wow. Although I would love to play mage wars we also play;

Battlestations for a great mix of roleplaying and boardgaming
Hackmaster for the pure roleplaying experience
pandemic, stone age, 7 wonders and Legacy for the boardgaming
Cabo and the fireworks game for cards
Not to forget Dixit for the fun

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 06:37:02 AM »
I play too many games. Both my likes and hates are too long to list here
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
  • www.magewars.weebly.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2014, 08:25:45 AM »
I've been meaning to play both Lords of Waterdeep and 7 Wonders. I've heard great things about both.

My 2nd favorite game is probably the Game of Thrones board game, 2nd edition. The only problem is I can never find enough people to have a 5 player game, which is where it really shines. I also enjoy the GoT LCG, although I only have the base set. I'll enjoy pretty much anything to do with GoT.

I also play some classics, like Dominion, Settlers of Catan, Pandemic, Ticket to Ride etc.

& I also have Mage Knight, Sentinels of the Multiverse, and Cards Against Humanity.

I'm planning on picking up Resistance:Avalon when it comes back into print, whenever that is. I'm also considering getting the Marvels Dice Masters game that comes out soon. It looks pretty sweet.
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
Visit my Mage Wars blog at www.magewars.weebly.com, also check me out on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MageWarsBlog and on twitter at @MageWarsBlog

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2014, 08:55:26 AM »
I'm mostly with Shad0w on this one. I love too many games. However, if you limit it to games I would actively love to play right now...

Nightfall - Easily my favorite deckbuilding game made. Unfortunately, it's strength is also a weakness. You really want a constant group for it so that people can get use to the drafting portion.

Sentinels of the Multiverse - It's tough for my wife and I to find games we can play together. I love cooperative, strategy board games. She likes more casual, friendly games (except Gloom, not friendly, but certainly casual). However, we both play Sentinels. I'm also not normally on board for cooperative games, but I love this one. Add on top of that their latest expansion, "Vengeance" is incredible and it's easy to see why this is one of my go to games.

King of Tokyo - I grew up playing Kismet (the knock-off Yahtzee) and so when I sat down to King of Tokyo and realized it was Kismet with giant monsters, I fell in love. It's easy to teach and quick to play.

Netrunner - The first time I was introduced to this game I was completely blown away by how amazing it was. I asked my friend who taught me where I could find it. His response, "Australia, cause they're the only place with boxes remaining. WOTC cut this game." I almost cried. So when FFG announced they were bringing the game back I jumped on it. Haven't regretted it.

X-Wing Miniatures - Anyone who's met me knows I'm a huge sucker for Minis games. I love this one because it's just simple enough to allow quick play and cinematic feel, while being deep enough to get the themes of Star Wars out and have tactical depth.

Malifaux - Last game I'm going to have on here is a traditional skirmish minis game. The world they've made for Malifaux is deep and involving, and it's characters are rich and varied. The randomization is all done with a traditional deck for 54 playing cards. I love this game, and I'm super excited to break out Kirai again!

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2014, 12:50:32 AM »
I got to play several new games today:

Marvel Dice Masters: Avengers vs. X-Men - real fun and quick, if you like Quarriors! Dice Masters uses that system but is really focused on the attack side of things. It is collectable though and Starter Kit is quite hard to get your hands on at this point. (Lost this game badly)

Blood Bowl: Team Manager - The Card Game: - once again a real fun game once you get it down, it will take less than an hour to play. Lots of variety and paths to win this game as you build your team. It is quite fun for a deck building style game. (Won 35-33)

Robinson Crusoe: Adventure on the Cursed Island - this thing is a heavy Euro and is supposedly the hotness. We ran out of time as it was our first game but we got far enough into it to get a good feel for it. It is unusual for my small group as it is a co-operative with cross board planning. If and when  you plan to play for the first time, give yourself plenty of time to read through the rules, there is a massive amount of Icons and Symbology to wrap you head around. I am a huge fan of Agricola and Caverna and I think this game has a chance to rank that high.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2014, 01:00:25 AM »
I've been wondering whether I would like Robinson Crusoe.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2014, 02:28:10 AM »
I've also seen a lot of raving about Robinson Crusoe but haven't dived into researching it for myself. My group isn't heavy into cooperatives, so I don't often look at them even though I like them well enough. The only one I have that sees play is Sentinels of the Multiverse (super hero theme for the win) and a friend occasionally brings Pandemic. Now that this has gotten the sIKE stamp of approval though, I may have to look into it. I trust the opinion of a fellow Priest.

Marvel Dice Masters has been on my radar for several months though. I can't wait to have it in my hands. I hate the collectible nature of it, but it looks like so much fun to play.

Dr.Cornelius

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2014, 09:18:33 PM »
Game of Thrones living card game.    Thinking man's game with excellent multiplayer dynamics, and strong Game of Thrones theme.   Also inexpensive to get into.  The 4-player base set can be had for under $30.  Give it a try if you like Game of Thrones, you won't be disappointed.

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2014, 03:31:42 AM »
Well,

Mage Wars is my top game, together with M.E.R.C.S. These two i play continually for months.

My new casual favourite is Trieste, Space Station and Wilderness.

I dont own or played tons of games but those i play i really like and often sacrifice a lot of time for them :)
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )