March 28, 2024, 01:51:44 PM

Author Topic: What other games do you like?  (Read 33729 times)

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
Re: What other games do you like?
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2016, 02:01:59 PM »
I just discovered Race! F90 a Formula 1 racing game with hand management mechanics with deep strategy elements to it that can vary by track and stage of the race. Planning to start a series championship with my friends where we record our performance over several races.

Also, recently bought Mega Civilization, but haven't got this one to the table yet.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2016, 07:45:25 AM »
I've been playing and locally hosting tournaments for X-wing Miniatures since early 2013. In fact, that's what got me into becoming a Mage Wars ambassador. My spouse mentioned in conversation that X-wing was my favourite game. I objected. At the time, it was by far my most frequently played game, but it wasn't my favourite. I played X-wing because it's a solid game with a terrific competitive community.

When pressed, I listed some of the games is rank above X-wing: The Resistance, Coup, Galaxy Trucker, Space Hulk, Chaos in the Old World, Ascending Empires (and Crockinole, for that matter), Star Trek Fleet Captains, Cosmic Encounter... Then I said, "Even if we're talking about head-to-head competitive 2-player games that could be played in a tournament, I'd say Mage Wars is a better game than X-wing."

A couple weeks later, somebody posted on BoardGameGeek that they'd like to find Mage Wars players in my area. This got me to thinking, if I'm willing to put in so much time and effort into X-wing, why not try to grow a Mage Wars group?!  It's been about a year and we're still going pretty strong - although could stand to add a few more regular players.

Update: Other great games I've been enjoying lately: Codenames, Pandemic Legacy (although we're starting to lose interest, but I won't tell you why), Dungeon Fighter (silly fun), Coconuts (basically beer pong for children - but fun for adults too), and we get a lot of requests to bring Telestrations to parties, although it's more of an activity than a game.

• Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Kaarin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2016, 08:15:53 PM »
Władca Areny( (War)lord of the Arena)
Two warriors enter the arena and only one leaves it.
You start the game by creating your warrior in an RPG-like way (You've got points to distribute among attributes, buy weapons, armor and maybe battle dogs), then You design the arena by buying elements like whirling spikes, hole, snakes or the beast and You're ready to fight.
During the fight You can make melee or ranged attacks, feint, dodge, parry enemy attacks, charge and move around, order your dogs, disarm opponent and pick his weapon,
You can defeat your enemy by delivering killing blow (single attack dealing deadly-level wound), poisoning (putting more poison tokens than enemy's constitution value), pushing into the hole (You can pretend You kick the enemy and shout "this is Sparta!":P), bleeding him out (dealing more critical wounds than enemy's constitution value) or making him pass out from pain (wounding place with critical wound already there and enemy has to fail his psychic attribute test).
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
OCTGN: Wstrzasniety (UTC+2)

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2016, 04:10:49 AM »
We had a blast with Pandemic Legacy (just first month), Tiny Epic Galaxies and next week, i will have a game or two of Socerer (https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/181819/sorcerer-strategy-card-game) Fun fact, creator of this game met Bryan at Essen and Bryan like art of this game so much that artists from Sorceror will be doing some art for Mage Wars :)

From PC games, X-COM 2 and The Division :)
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
What other games do you like?
« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2016, 11:58:08 AM »
Besides Mage Wars, I like Pokemon (video games), Super Smash Bros, League of Legends,  and Improbable Island (though I haven't played that much in a long time) and a bunch of others. Mage Wars is still my main hobby game though. I also like dungeon crawl stone soup, but I would play it a lot more if it was a mobile or handheld game. I'm interested in getting into the Lord of the Rings card game.

I'm also on an endless search for MMORPGs and Pen and Paper RPGs that I will actually like and can play with other people. I'm interested in trying single player pen and paper rpgs (the kind that don't use a dungeon master, I think they're called RPG-books or something.) Unfortunately these are really rare and I've never seen them in my FLGS.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 12:06:13 PM by Sailor Vulcan »
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2016, 02:31:45 AM »
You mean like gamebooks? Lonewolf was in my android store :) on mobile, it has still that great feeling :)
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • Out of the ashes, a new power will rise.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2016, 09:40:28 AM »
My favorite games are mage wars and FATE, the RPG.
The Phoenix shall rise.

Ophidimancer

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2016, 11:56:00 AM »

I love Fate! What Fate world do you like best so far?

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2016, 04:39:45 PM »

I love Fate! What Fate world do you like best so far?
Hmm, I Love fate core and the Dresden files fate RPG.
The Phoenix shall rise.

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2016, 05:31:21 AM »
Recently playing Mare Nostrum Empires by Academy Games. A lot of fun packed into this version. It holds up to 6 players with the Atlas Expansion. A 2 hour game of empire building with 4 paths to victory that keeps everyone watching their opponents play.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2016, 07:47:10 AM »
What about Pokémon Go? Anybody here play that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 13, 2016, 08:41:55 PM »
What about Pokémon Go? Anybody here play that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, but not hard core
The Phoenix shall rise.

Erebus

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 21, 2016, 03:19:29 AM »
My other favorite games right now are probably Duelyst, Lord of the Rings LCG, 7 Wonders Duel, and BattleCON:Devastation. With the exceptions of Duelyst and 7 Wonders, the general trend seems to be that all my favorite games take a long time to setup and play :(

I haven't played Mage Wars in months... I'm about to start college, however, and I expect that will either further limit or expand my opportunities to play games. Not sure which yet. :/

If we're talking non-board game type video games too, then I'm also an avid Overwatch player.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 03:23:47 AM by Erebus »
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
"You see the great thing about madness is that it's all in your head."

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 21, 2016, 07:15:20 AM »
How long are your BattleCON games taking? I've been playing with a friend of mine and we can get through games pretty quickly. Granted it is a game where you want to play several matches one after another.

Overwatch is fantastic.