April 20, 2024, 03:18:15 AM

Author Topic: Why isn't the Malakai Priest trained in Fire?  (Read 28790 times)

webcatcher

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Why isn't the Malakai Priest trained in Fire?
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2014, 07:22:33 AM »
Galvitar's not as clumsy or random as a pillar of light. A more civilized weapon for a more civilized mage.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2014, 09:42:58 AM »
What exactly makes a weapon more "civilized" if you don't mind my asking?

Personally I think a strike from galvitar would be far more painful than a pillar of light. Since galvitar is more painful, it could be argued that it is even less civilized a weapon.

I mean, LIGHT. You know, the stuff that we see every day that usually doesn't hurt us? Compare to a sword of PURE FORCE. I think it's kind of clear which weapon is civilized and which is bad***.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Aylin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2014, 10:31:48 AM »
What exactly makes a weapon more "civilized" if you don't mind my asking?

Personally I think a strike from galvitar would be far more painful than a pillar of light. Since galvitar is more painful, it could be argued that it is even less civilized a weapon.

I mean, LIGHT. You know, the stuff that we see every day that usually doesn't hurt us? Compare to a sword of PURE FORCE. I think it's kind of clear which weapon is civilized and which is bad***.

The Forcemaster is a Jedi. The Jedi use lightsabers. Therefore Galvitar is a lightsaber. QED.

Also it was a reference to episode 4.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2014, 10:54:11 AM »
I'm not going to argue that the forcemaster is set up better as a sort of Jedi, but I still like imagining a weapon that does light damage is a light saber. Galvitar is made of force, which is not the same as a light saber, and still does regular melee physical damage. The reasoning that "all Jedi use light sabers therefore all weapons used by Jedi must be light sabers" is a fallacy. Forcemaster may be a Jedi/Sith but galvitar is no light saber.

Also there are plenty of instances of non force users using light sabers. Whether or not my priest is a force user, he does wield a light saber.

webcatcher

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2014, 11:58:25 AM »
Sorry, in case it wasn't clear:

From A new Hope
Your father's light saber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or random as a blaster, an elegant weapon for a more civilized age.

And when I play a forcemaster, I definitely like to imagine a lightsaber activation noise when galvitar gets summoned.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2014, 11:21:01 PM »
Sorry, in case it wasn't clear:

From A new Hope
Your father's light saber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or random as a blaster, an elegant weapon for a more civilized age.

And when I play a forcemaster, I definitely like to imagine a lightsaber activation noise when galvitar gets summoned.

I do the same thing when I summon Galvitar:) I even make the "vroom" noise of it swinging....until my girlfriend tells me to stop doing that and roll the dice....then I just roll the dice....
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2014, 01:24:48 AM »
I even make the "vroom" noise of it swinging
There is an app for that
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2014, 01:29:27 AM »
I even make the "vroom" noise of it swinging
There is an app for that

Believe me I know lol. My phone might as well be made of coconut shells and string in terms of technology but I've seen it on friends phones.
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2014, 01:33:29 AM »
I'm not going to argue that the forcemaster is set up better as a sort of Jedi, but I still like imagining a weapon that does light damage is a light saber. Galvitar is made of force, which is not the same as a light saber, and still does regular melee physical damage. The reasoning that "all Jedi use light sabers therefore all weapons used by Jedi must be light sabers" is a fallacy. Forcemaster may be a Jedi/Sith but galvitar is no light saber.

Also there are plenty of instances of non force users using light sabers. Whether or not my priest is a force user, he does wield a light saber.

I thought Galvitor was made of pure energy. Which I guess you could refer to as force. Also I've noticed that it goes back into a your spell book when it's dissolved.....much like how a light saber can be summoned back to it's masters hand if disarmed :)

Sylex

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • Nobody sees the Wizard! Not nobody, not no how!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2014, 02:46:43 AM »
Grizzly, if your phone is made of coconut shells, the only movie I can think of that it could emulate would be Monty Python and the Holy Grail which now that I think about it would be more humiliating to your opponent lol

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2014, 02:56:03 AM »
Oh man now every time somebody fries one of my Thunderift Falcons I'm going to blissfully pretend it's still alive! I can just see my opponent: "This falcon is dead! It is deceased! It is an ex-Falcon!" Then I'll do a falcon voice "I'm not dead! I'm feeling better! Think I'll go for a walk now!" Hehehehehe the skies the limit with bad Monty Python/Mage Wars comedy.

Sylex

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • Nobody sees the Wizard! Not nobody, not no how!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2014, 04:41:44 AM »
I just did 10 critical damage to your Falcon!!!!       

Tis merely a flesh wound.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2014, 10:29:28 AM »

I thought Galvitor was made of pure energy. Which I guess you could refer to as force. Also I've noticed that it goes back into a your spell book when it's dissolved.....much like how a light saber can be summoned back to it's masters hand if disarmed :)

Nope, not energy. Just force. See the subtype. The forcemaster is creating the blade with her mind, it is not a weapon she carries around. Also, the ability to summon a light saber to his hand is inherent to the Jedi not the saber. A Jedi can do that with any object. Nothing about galvitar is reminiscent of a light saber. People just make the association based upon the user.

In fairness, nothing about the staff of asyra or the priest basic attack is necessarily like a light saber either. I just think of them as such because they do light damage and I enjoy it. Tis not any better reasoning than yours for galvitar, so not sure why I'm making a point of it lol. To each their own.

Also, I love the Monty python jokes!

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2014, 12:53:58 PM »

What precisely is the difference between force and energy?

Nope, not energy. Just force. See the subtype. The forcemaster is creating the blade with her mind, it is not a weapon she carries around. Also, the ability to summon a light saber to his hand is inherent to the Jedi not the saber. A Jedi can do that with any object. Nothing about galvitar is reminiscent of a light saber. People just make the association based upon the user.

In fairness, nothing about the staff of asyra or the priest basic attack is necessarily like a light saber either. I just think of them as such because they do light damage and I enjoy it. Tis not any better reasoning than yours for galvitar, so not sure why I'm making a point of it lol. To each their own.

Also, I love the Monty python jokes!

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2014, 01:32:39 PM »
Quote from: silverclawgrizzly
what precisely is the difference between force and energy?

Granted, we are talking about their definition in regards to magic rather than real world definitions. I would distinguish them as force is physical, or kinetic if you prefer. It applies pressure and physically damages its target. Energy on the other hand would be more elemental, and actually changes the nature or properties of its target. Burning, freezing, draining, etc.

Light saber would be energy as it vaporizes and burns through its victim while galvitar just slices through like a normal sword.

All it is is semantics though.