April 28, 2024, 04:29:32 PM

Author Topic: The Forcemaster's Forcefield  (Read 44453 times)

Tacullu64

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
The Forcemaster's Forcefield
« on: February 24, 2013, 12:26:54 AM »
I want to make sure I understand the Forcemaster's Forcefield enchantment. It says in the text of Forcefield that whenever you are attacked, before the avoid attack step you must remove a token, if you do, that attack is canceled. So, my questions are:

1.  Does it cancels melee and ranged attacks?

2.  Does it cancel unavoidable attacks since it is not "avoiding" the attack using a defense?

3.  Does it cancel the portion of a zone attack that attacks the Forcemaster? This is the one I'm least sure of since a zone attack doesn't target the Forcemaster, but it does still attack her.

If it does all three it's a really strong spell. Actually, if it just does the first two its a strong spell.

piousflea

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Re: The Forcemaster's Forcefield
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 12:24:05 PM »
1) Yes.

2) Yes. It is specifically not an "Avoid Attack" mechanic, so unavoidable has no effect.

3) Yes, I think. From what I understand, a zone attack is no different from declaring a bunch of attacks in one action. Therefore, if you Firestormed a zone with the Forcefielded Forcemaster and two thoughtspores, the Firestorm would hit both thoughtspores but not the Forcemaster.

Tacullu64

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 12:33:40 PM »
That is the way I'm reading it. I just wanted to hear it from someone else as that makes Forcefield significantly better than I originally thought.

I might actually put a second in the spellbook now, but I'm not sure. In my initial assessment I figured there was no way it would get dispelled because of cost. It still seems unlikely, but now I'm not as sure.

DarthDadaD20

• Dark Father of Random Occurrence/TeamRocket Grunt
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 12:38:19 PM »
Zone attacks are very diffrent from declaring a bunch of attacks.(see below)
Zone Attacks always target a zone,never a creature or object. Therefore, abilities and traits that allow a target to react when it is the target of an attack do not apply against a Zone Attack. Zone attacks always have the Unavoidable trait, so Defenses have no effect against them. Page 23 of the original rule book.
Where does my greatest enemy lie?
It has been around since the dawn of time,
it follows your loved ones as well as mine,
takes the form of a mountain as well as a flower,
it cannot be outrun by the greatest of power.
Within Shad0w.

DarthDadaD20

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 12:38:25 PM »
:blink: double post??? :silly:
Within Shad0w.

DarthDadaD20

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 12:43:24 PM »
And as of right now I cannot get to my forcefield card, or I would have a better understanding and would in turn answer your questions to the best of my knowledge.
Within Shad0w.

Tacullu64

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 01:12:22 PM »
Quote from: "DarthDadaD20" post=7971
Zone attacks are very diffrent from declaring a bunch of attacks.(see below)
Zone Attacks always target a zone,never a creature or object. Therefore, abilities and traits that allow a target to react when it is the target of an attack do not apply against a Zone Attack. Zone attacks always have the Unavoidable trait, so Defenses have no effect against them. Page 23 of the original rule book.

A zone attack targets a zone but makes individual attacks against the creatures in that zone. The Forcefield is triggered by the Forcemaster being attacked. So it seems like there is a chance it would work against zone attacks.

Tacullu64

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2013, 01:29:17 PM »
@DarthDadaD20

Forcefield text.

Upkeep +2    Forcemaster Only
Forcefield starts with 3 forcefield tokens on it. During the upkeep phase it gains one token, to a maximum of 3. Whenever you are attacked, before the avoid attack step, you must remove a token. If you do, that attack is canceled.

DarthDadaD20

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2013, 01:48:20 PM »
Since Forcefield doesn't say Targeted, But the rules for zone state, "Therefore, abilities and traits that allow a target to react when it is the target of an attack do not apply against a Zone Attack." Forcefield is an reaction, I dont fell comfortable giving you an answer, sorry. Im sure a Moderator or Arcanus will answer shortly. I want to say, yes. It will work agents zones as a kind of card Exceptions override the basic rules but...
Within Shad0w.

Tacullu64

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2013, 02:00:59 PM »
Quote from: "DarthDadaD20" post=7981
Since Forcefield doesn't say Targeted, But the rules for zone state, "Therefore, abilities and traits that allow a target to react when it is the target of an attack do not apply against a Zone Attack." Forcefield is an reaction, I dont fell comfortable giving you an answer, sorry. Im sure a Moderator or Arcanus will answer shortly. I want to say, yes. It will work agents zones as a kind of card Exceptions override the basic rules but...

Yep, I'm hopeful that it works like I think but there just enough wiggle room I can't be sure.

piousflea

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2013, 02:33:29 PM »
I think the text is quite clear.

It does not use "avoid attack" mechanic and it does not require you to be targeted by an attack. It simply says, "when you are attacked".

It seems to me that Arcane Wonders wrote the card in a very specific manner so that it would apply to Zone attacks. (Unlike every other defense in the game)

Tacullu64

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2013, 02:45:57 PM »
I'm guessing it also works against damage barriers. Which could be a negative in that it would use up the force field tokens quicker.

DarthDadaD20

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2013, 05:10:46 PM »
Well as for damage barriers, They only have 2 steps to follow when attacking: 1) Roll Dice
and 2) Damage and Effects. So with damage barriers having no avoid attack step,no. It cannot work against damage barriers. But for everything else,by the best of my card game text reading ability,that is what I would think. and would go with for now, unless told otherwise.
Within Shad0w.

Paleblue

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2013, 06:15:56 PM »
Seems like a very powerful card taking into consideration the only way to get around it is dispel or bash your way through.

Tacullu64

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2013, 06:40:29 PM »
Quote from: "Paleblue" post=7993
Seems like a very powerful card taking into consideration the only way to get around it is dispel or bash your way through.

Yes it is. Mostly I think it will encourage diversity in spellbooks. It's pretty powerful against a fighting mage and a super creature but not as strong against a bunch of small creatures. Interesting that it was sold with the warlord as an opponent huh?