April 28, 2024, 07:38:44 PM

Author Topic: Brace yourself (and Defend)  (Read 5036 times)

Myrddin

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Brace yourself (and Defend)
« on: July 22, 2014, 03:40:37 AM »
I started doing a review of FiF cards suitable for all mages... but then got sidetracked as there's so much to say about this card alone. I think it's clearly a good card, but there's more to say than that

It's an incredibly helpful 'why not' card...

This is the sort of thing you can stick on your mage because you have a couple of extra mana. It might be a nullify or a block, which deters teleportation and attack spells. But instead it's something which can sit there until that one turn: the one you're teleported into a spiked pit surrounded by iron golems or whatever.

but it also enables and works well with specific strategies
- It works against the meta where people feel they must layer on expensive armour from the beginning in case of attacks, leaving more mana for other stuff at the start
- It seriously strengthens creatures with flying, defences or both. Most of all the flying/dodging familiars - you can wait until someone's used knockdown, an unavoidable attack spell, perfect strike on something with reach, or simply got lucky with an archer, and then turn the odds in your favour. Far more efficient than block, which is OK on fliers, but tends to be a bad deal on things with other defences.
- It's just silly efficient with enchantment ring (which I think is pretty fantastic anyway)

It also interacts interestingly with Defend. After revealing Brace Yourself on a guard, you can set them back to guard again.

I also think both Defend and Brace Yourself could be surprisingly aggressive cards. Say my Sir Corazin wants to lead some Knights of Westlock on the attack but is a bit worried about that defending grizzly, who will get a counterstrike and then a full attack. This can lead to long stand-offs with neither willing to make the first move: not what you want if they have a stronger economy. But with Brace Yourself, I can protect my swordsman when he acts as vanguard - and with Defend, I can immediately place him back on the defence, making the grizzly think twice about attacking. Better yet, if I manage to dodge the attacks made against him, I don't even have to reveal it!

Any other possibilities with these cards that people have discovered?

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
Re: Brace yourself (and Defend)
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 08:33:39 AM »
Interesting post.

I like Brace Yourself with agro build. It allow my mage to rush in without having to worry as much as being hit hard.

Also, with Retaliate it makes oponent to wonder what those 2 enchants could be andnonce you get attacked, you take reduced damage but strike back!

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 08:38:04 AM »
It has me wanting to break out Fellella again. Cast her, then she puts "Brace Yourself" on herself. Then we go about business as usual.

Myrddin

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 12:31:34 PM »
It has me wanting to break out Fellella again. Cast her, then she puts "Brace Yourself" on herself. Then we go about business as usual.
Yep! Playing Beastmaster and have started to genuinely consider old Fellella as an alternative to my current enchantment ring build: bit squishy and bit of a mana investment, but frees up actions for my mage to do other stuff (hit things, mostly).

Borg

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 04:39:08 PM »

I find Brace Yourself very helpful for the Forcemaster :

- For those times when your defense fails, ( or your opponent makes an unavoidable attack ) you can wait until you've seen the die-roll results and then decide if you reveal or not.

- As a Forcemaster I don't like to spend spellpoints, actions and mana on armour anyway and Brace Yourself gives you the perfect alternative. Paired with for instance Hand of Bim Shalla, you can go from zero armor to 5 armor on the fly.

- It's a nice way around Acid Ball, since you have no amor, corrosion counters don't "stick" making Acid Ball a pretty useless spell against you.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Wildhorn

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 04:46:37 PM »

I find Brace Yourself very helpful for the Forcemaster :

- For those times when your defense fails, ( or your opponent makes an unavoidable attack ) you can wait until you've seen the die-roll results and then decide if you reveal or not.

- As a Forcemaster I don't like to spend spellpoints, actions and mana on armour anyway and Brace Yourself gives you the perfect alternative. Paired with for instance Hand of Bim Shalla, you can go from zero armor to 5 armor on the fly.

- It's a nice way around Acid Ball, since you have no amor, corrosion counters don't "stick" making Acid Ball a pretty useless spell against you.

Hand of Bim-Shalla can only be used before or after a creature you own. So you can't decide to use it on the fly.

If you are at 0 armor, Corrode deal 1 direct damage. So against something with 0 armor, Acid Ball will deal 2 dice + 1-2 direct damage. So it will deal an average of 3.67 damage for 5 mana. 1.36:1 mana:damage ratio. This is very good.

BoomFrog

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2014, 07:05:38 PM »
You for your ratio backwards. Less then 4 damage for 5 mana is a bad attack spell.

Wildhorn

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2014, 07:21:31 PM »
For an attack spell that main utility is not to deal damage, it is pretty good.

BoomFrog

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2014, 08:08:54 AM »
Brace yourself is the perfect compliment to bridge trolls. The best way to deal with a troll is to kill it in one round. Now that won't work so well. And with 0 starting armor+4 is perfect.

It's also excellent on your mage to reduce the pain of a surprise push through thorns.

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2014, 08:27:00 AM »
I have also seen 1 opponenet put [mwcard=MWSTX2FFE04] Brace Yourself[/mwcard] to very good use combined with [mwcard=DNQ07] Veteran's Belt[/mwcard]