April 29, 2024, 01:25:16 AM

Author Topic: The Forcemaster's Forcefield  (Read 44465 times)

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: The Forcemaster's Forcefield
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2013, 10:20:12 AM »
Force Field only uses charges after step 1 before step 2.

1. Declare Attack
(Force Field)

2. Avoid Attack

3. Roll Dice

4. Damage and Effects
5. Additional Strikes
6. Damage Barrier (Triggers in this step. When the barrier resolves it only uses steps 4 & 5 then you go to step 7)

7. Counterstrike
8. Attack Ends

So the barrier would not eat away at the charges. ;)

Hope that helps.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Tacullu64

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2013, 09:08:36 PM »
I played the warlord vs the forcemaster the other day. It was my first play against the forcemaster and of course she cast the Forcefield. We were using the base spellbooks so I could have just dispelled it and not have to worry about a second, but this seemed unfair. So, I took the opportunity to try and beat my way through it. The Forcefield was active for 7 rounds before the warlord succumbed to his wounds. It avoided 9 attacks and I had it beat down to zero tokens by the second round it was out. Although I did lose the game I came to the conclusion that it was a viable strategy for builds with a heavy investment in small to medium creatures as long as you have a spawn point to help supply the creatures.

malgor

• Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2013, 02:17:01 AM »
Forcefield is a devastating card, and I can see why it was debated so much in play testing.   The card is most brutal late-game, as the opponent may be out of dispels and too invested in a different strategy to pump out the creatures necessary to beat through the forcefield.

shapeshifter

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2013, 06:32:58 AM »
I too since finding it blocks unavoidable attacks am finding difficulties getting through this card.
The forcemaster can sweep attack or charm a horde very easily.

Maybe im missing something but some help outside "dispel it" would be very welcome.

Sausageman

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2013, 07:32:48 AM »
I'm actually a bit concerned Forcefield is *too* good.  It's clearly her top teir enchantment, just as Divine Intervention is for the Priestess, but it just seems to have so much going for it.  It costs the same as 3 blocks but only takes one action to cast (rather than 3), it regenerates back, it stops various different types of attacks, it's MUCH more expensive to Dispel.  It makes the Forcemaster SO strong.  Combine that with Galvitar, her innate ability and varous other tools and I'm worried she's, well, close to unbeatable....
I'd be very interested to see how much-ups against her have gone.  Anyone seen her consistantly beaten?

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2013, 08:32:55 AM »
The print version of Forcefield is a nerfed version of the one I wanted. It is way to easy to get rid of. I had 3 versions I liked this was the weakest of them. We had another enchant that was supposed to work with Forcefield but it got cut 1 week before print. When we voted on the final set cards.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Preacher

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2013, 08:44:17 AM »
Quote from: "Shad0w" post=9113
The print version of Forcefield is a nerfed version of the one I wanted. It is way to easy to get rid of. I had 3 versions I liked this was the weakest of them. We had another enchant that was supposed to work with Forcefield but it got cut 1 week before print. When we voted on the final set cards.

:ohmy:

Really? Wow, that's interesting to read. Not quite sure what to say other than Forcefield seeming to be very strong and that amount of mana to dispel it is quite an investment (assuming you even have the card) and often you won't have that spare with a melee juggernaut coming at you like a runaway train.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2013, 09:33:30 AM »
Use triple strike or any multi-attack and you will chew through the Forcefield in no time. all you need to do is make 4 attacks a round. The only time Forcfield shines is against solo builds and big creature builds. It is only ok against swarms.

Sausageman

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2013, 09:53:38 AM »
Internet issues ;) Please ignore

Preacher

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2013, 09:59:43 AM »
Quote from: "Shad0w" post=9116
Use triple strike or any multi-attack and you will chew through the Forcefield in no time. all you need to do is make 4 attacks a round. The only time Forcfield shines is against solo builds and big creature builds. It is only ok against swarms.

Right, so *just* those 4 attacks then?  ;) then onto her Defence shield and all that with only one card that stays in play.

Don't get me wrong here, I'm all for strong cards and pushing the envelope, hell, it's one of my favourite things in a new set - looking out the powerful cards and pouring over new combos and stuff - but this one stood out like a thumb hit with a hammer for me.

I think the action savings are where it really struck me, it does the same or better than the same amount of Blocks for less and it regenerates and you can do all that in one action (as opposed to many). Just didn't feel like there was parity there.

As I say, not saying the sky is falling or anything and very early days but holy hell I think it's a strong card, especially when it nullifies certain spellbooks on its own!

Tacullu64

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2013, 10:13:07 AM »
In the game I wrote about above, even though I lost I considered the strategy a success. There were a few details I didn't mention because they didn't seem pertinent at the time. I would say that my opponent and I played equally well (or poorly as the case may be). There were some mistakes on both sides nothing too egregious. Here's the kicker though, we engaged for seven rounds and I had the Forcefield beat down on round two. The forcemaster had to roll for defense 6 times and she made every one of them. That's right not a single missed defense roll. If she had missed them all I would have slaughtered her, if she only hit 50% I would have won the game. I really enjoyed the game and I like my chances in a rematch.

I would rate the Forcefield as strong but definitely not OP.

Sausageman

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2013, 10:41:44 AM »
Quote from: "Shad0w" post=9116
Use triple strike or any multi-attack and you will chew through the Forcefield in no time. all you need to do is make 4 attacks a round.

That's easier said than done in many games. Maybe if the enchantment was destroyed if it was reduced to zero tokens, but you have to consistantly keep the pressure on, otherwise the forcefield just builds up again.
This is largely theoretical on my part, I'm sure you've had a lot my exposure to it than I have, but it *feels* extremely powerful to me - most powerful of the game probably (step aside Hand of Bim Shalla :))

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2013, 11:14:52 AM »
It was designed to make you constantly apply pressure if you give her time to build up then you have to deal with it all over again.  :P

malgor

• Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2013, 01:28:45 PM »
i don't think forcefield breaks the game (dispel alone ensures it does not), but i do think Shadow is way underselling its power, especially for people who haven't played a lot.  a strategy that prevents solo builds and big creature attacks is pretty powerful no doubt.  If you don't have creatures to do a melee or a powerful enough mage to get in there and lay some double strikes down, it's always best to use dispel.  The mana cost on dispel is a lot better than even paying for low-cost attack spells (4-6 mana attack spells) to beat it down.  One exception is the Wizard's 1 mana arcane zap.  I found that was pretty useful.  Safe quickcast, have some low creatures take a wack, then use your arcane zap to eliminate the last barrier and use your action marker to lay down a big attack spell (I prefer lightning with the lightning equipment bonus).

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2013, 01:43:18 PM »
I am not underselling its power. Once you get the card I wanted to be in the set. You will see how I was able to get past the Forcefield every round in a solo vs solo match with no problem. I will let you know two of the three cards needed are already out as of the FM vs Warlord set. I never even bothered to get rid of it since it was a non-issue when play testing. Also once we have the last card they will be in most of my build from now on.