March 28, 2024, 05:12:10 AM

Author Topic: MW arena update 2020  (Read 33732 times)

Enti

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: MW arena update 2020
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2020, 12:58:01 AM »
*Message has been removed by moderators due to multiple reports of abusive behavior*
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 04:19:22 PM by Coshade »

ThisIsDeutch

« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2020, 06:56:38 AM »

I haven't checked on the Discord channel in over a year, but

yeah, we can tell how well informed your opinion is.

So then tell me, has anything changed? You expect me to believe that this community has evolved, during the last year, into something other than card discussions and small tournament organizations?

It makes more sense for them (from a business standpoint) to attract 200-300 new customers, instead of trying to keep a small group of 10-20 people interested in their products.

How condescending and utterly stupid this sentence is (facepalm)

I don't understand your hatred but please - do us and yourself a favor - leave this forum if the only thing you have to contribute are posts like these.

Wow, great comment! Another reason why this forum is filled with great discussion!

Get a grip on yourself. Arcane Wonders is a business and will do as they please, even though their decision may end up upsetting a few people. If they can get more customers in their reach by re-doing most of the gameplay that is Mage Wars Arena, then they'll do it.

BigNic

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2020, 09:46:31 AM »

I haven't checked on the Discord channel in over a year, but

yeah, we can tell how well informed your opinion is.

It makes more sense for them (from a business standpoint) to attract 200-300 new customers, instead of trying to keep a small group of 10-20 people interested in their products.

How condescending and utterly stupid this sentence is (facepalm)

I don't understand your hatred but please - do us and yourself a favor - leave this forum if the only thing you have to contribute are posts like these.

I like

farkas1

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2020, 05:12:45 PM »
I will make a few statements that I hope seem to settle the crowd. 

1) please don’t bash the community.  Even if it is relatively small community that “posts”, not every player posts on this site that enjoys the game or discord in fact.  Not everyone is like us who enjoy this aspect for the game.  Discussing, arguing, giving feedback, and criticism is small portion of the group. 

2) lots of players have played and gone is it a problem?   

It is going to happen to any game, I think with more support from the company and a better release schedule it would have kept players invested for a longer period.  Players are still meeting and competing at conventions.  The player base has dropped, but not a ton.  We are getting new players interested still in the great game at every event, and the community could grow if players stay invested. 

3). Should arcane wonders do a better job in supporting their games?

Yea I would say there is always a need for growth.  A more steady model of releases would be helpful with a game like this. 

4). Am I happy with the product?

I love this game and feel with or without expansions I am happy with the current product. 

5) Now is everything perfect with this game? 

No.  minor tweaks could make the game better and a competitively better experience . I will make a big post about the improvements I would like to see in the future.

6).  Do I hope for more content and maybe a new edition? 

Yea I think some reworking will do wonders and it would spark more interest from new players. 

7) could the new edition get the same love as the original?

I think it could if done right. Change is always scary and  any tweaks to the system will ruffle feathers. 

8). Being released in 2012 how often do games that are collectible stay successful in the market? 

I would say a five year period is about where card games peak until either a new edition or big update is needed to spark excitement again.  This game is 8 years old and it time to put some new polish on it and give an overhaul to generate the excitement again. 

9). Will you play the original edition? 

It Depends on how get 2.0 is.  If it sucks, original will always be the go to version I play on a regular basis.  But if 2nd edition is good and dare I say better I am totally committed  to play the better game.  On if there is two groups I will play both.

10).  If the new edition is backwards compatible will it hinder the new edition or help? 

This one question, I could say yes and no.  I lean towards yes it would hinder the creative process and at worst scare people off of the game who may see the current card pool as too overwhelming. Sometimes games need a reset, and I feel it is in need of one to get to the next evolution.

I would like to think that arcane wonders could handle backwards compatibility but I think for any company it would take some creativity and a way of marketing 2.0 to pull it off correctly. 

Closing
In any case someone is going to complain about something.  Just don’t make general statements about the people and community involved especially if somewhat untrue.  It is ok to disagree and debate.  We do that on discord all the time and it is healthy to not agree with everyone.  What is not healthy is being toxic and bashing a game or its player base without providing ways for improving.  Let’s just be more civil to one another it is just a game.  And have fun with whatever you choose to make a gaming priority in life. 
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2020, 08:48:11 PM »
discord?

I found out how to sign up for it, but I don't see a thing there related to MW.
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2020, 11:30:50 PM »
I will get you the link to it. but it expires after a short time. let me know and I can email it to you some time soon and you can use it to get into the mw community right then.

RobMurray

• Playtester
  • New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2020, 07:02:49 AM »
I sent you another link Dave.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2020, 07:59:08 AM »
Hey there,

Just wanted to post a link to the discord. A lot of members on this community board chat daily here. For anyone that does not use Discord - it's more of a chat room compared to a message board.

Link to MW Discord --> https://discord.gg/8uS7mxh
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2020, 08:39:10 PM »
thanks everyone for your help... I got in now.

Dave
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2020, 06:18:17 AM »
What happens when you put a Forcemaster, a Priest, and a Priestess into a Chat Room?   - Discord...  :)
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

RobMurray

• Playtester
  • New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2020, 09:05:40 AM »
If it wasn't so expensive, I would love to see an online version for 2.0. (Excluding phones) I think playing online,across multiple platforms, would be ideal for attracting new players.

Picture the ability to zoom out and view the arena overhead style like normal, but when its time to action your creatures you could change the POV and zoom down into the zone you're in.

OCTGN is great, but imagine what we / they / us could do if we had a dedicated team of developers :)

Going online would also take care of all the little annoying aspects of the game. Upkeep, Channeling, Packing / Unpacking. A tutorial could be added to help new players learn incrementally instead of the typical "Here's a book, godspeed".

MOST importantly we could finally add a campaign / solo mode where you could start as an Academy Mage and work your way towards becoming a full fledged Arena Mage!

Wishful thinking I know, but at this point its all we have anyways :)

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2020, 06:58:20 PM »
What happens when you put a Forcemaster, a Priest, and a Priestess into a Chat Room?   - Discord...  :)

very funny. 8)

Thessial

• Vice President
  • Administrator
  • Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2020, 08:38:33 PM »
Hello again folks,

So I am excited that I can finally share a little bit more. More importantly, I want to hear from you. We are in the initial stages of developing a new version. Certainly it is true that we want to broaden the player base with this, but we also want to have a game that gives that Mage Wars "feel". This means some things will be new, but backwards compatibility is a significant part of our discussions. Certainly we want to create some extended utility of the products that you already own, but as some have noted, excessive backwards compatibility can create design constraints that lead to unintended consequences and limitations.

On another front, the design stage of this project is being turned over to a committee of knowledgeable individuals with extensive experience in both Mage Wars and game design. This is different from previous Mage Wars as there was only ever one person driving the primary energy. The expectation is that this will lead to a better stream of products produced more regularly.

I hope all of this reaches you as positive information. Everything design-wise is still a possibility and we want to narrow much of this down in the next few months. All of this being said we are still looking at the master time tables and as we have better estimates, we will share them. It all depends how quickly we find that design that leads to the best version of Mage Wars that we can possibly make.

Finally, I said I wanted to hear from you and I am serious. Attached is a survey link from the design committee that met for the first time last week. Please be open minded. Nothing in it is written in stone, but we do want to make sure that we hear from those of you that have been around the Mage Wars block for a while. Please feel free to share the link with others that you know would be interested.

https://s.surveyplanet.com/_LM_2-WT

Thank you again for reading this. I hope we can bring something amazing to you.

Thessial

SirJasonCrage

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2020, 04:23:50 AM »
Wrote you half a novel on the survey, hope someone's gonna get paid to read through it all  ;D

Thanks for putting all that effort into the game. I think I can speak for the whole community when I say it means a lot to us.

Please don't forget this is a niche game for a fantasy-experienced playerbase. I know it's tempting to "branch out" and capture more casual players, but this is the wrong game to do it with.

RobMurray

• Playtester
  • New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2020, 10:26:23 AM »
This is fantastic news Thessial.

Survey completed!