March 28, 2024, 12:42:44 PM

Author Topic: MW arena update 2020  (Read 33740 times)

ThisIsDeutch

Re: MW arena update 2020
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2020, 06:20:31 PM »
MW 2.0 because it’s “something bigger than a second lost Grimoire”?

Could it not (just) be another 2 mages release?

Interesting point. It could be, but if this ends up being the case then Arcane Wonders are really shooting themselves in the foot. Not to mention how little something like that would sell considering how most of the players are long gone.

If by some chance they release a Witch vs. Alt. Forcemaster expansion, it would be to milk out the potential profits that remain from this franchise. There is no other reason to support an 8 year old game with expansion content.

JAM2099

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2020, 09:56:29 PM »
I'm sure whatever is going to happen is already in the works.  I just know that most new games like Keyforge, Transformers TCG etc don't have a big following in my area.  If I want other players then it has to be with my own family.  Original Mage Wars died off quickly despite my love for it.  (I honestly bought 2 of everything for Mage Wars.)  If they add to the game then I will continue to buy 2 of everything.  If they come out with a whole new edition and move on from the first then I will have to pass.  I don't see the game being revitalized, at least not in my area.  I do love the game and will continue to collect just for the collection aspect.  I have no one to play with though other than my own family and do not see that changing anytime in the future.

ThisIsDeutch

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2020, 09:03:02 AM »
If they come out with a whole new edition and move on from the first then I will have to pass.  I don't see the game being revitalized, at least not in my area.

Well, better taking a chance at having a new game with a large new playerbase, than just simply selling an expansion to a very few remaining amount of fans. If they change the game enough from it's first iteration, definitely they'll have new players coming into their reach.

RobMurray

• Playtester
  • New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2020, 10:51:26 AM »
The game absolutely needs an overhaul. Just look at discord chat over the last 12+ hours. The best players in our community can't agree / confirm / iron out how card(s)work, both independently and in tandem. 

I've had the chance to play Mage Wars with a lot of guys in my gaming group. Everyone has their own quips about it, but the vast majority say:

1 - It takes too much time to build a spellbook
2 - Too many schools and card types (I.E - Incantations, Conjurations, Attack spells.)
3 - Most didn't like relying on the "luck of the dice".
4 - Phases were too complicated
5 - Overall consensus was there was just too much going on to try and remember everything

Now a lot of their complaints are what I personally love about the game. I see Mage Wars as two games in one. The first game is the mental part where I try to scheme up a tricky book, while the second game is me putting my creation to the test in the arena.

If the goal is to get the game in more peoples hands and on more tabletops, we need to find the middle ground between Academy and Arena.

Hell, if it was up to me I would just add some Star Wars IP to the game and march Darth Vader across the Arena.

• Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

JAM2099

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2020, 11:18:13 AM »

I've had the chance to play Mage Wars with a lot of guys in my gaming group. Everyone has their own quips about it, but the vast majority say:

1 - It takes too much time to build a spellbook
2 - Too many schools and card types (I.E - Incantations, Conjurations, Attack spells.)
3 - Most didn't like relying on the "luck of the dice".
4 - Phases were too complicated
5 - Overall consensus was there was just too much going on to try and remember everything

1.  Building the spellbook takes too long?  That's the best part.  Besides, how many months do people spend hunting down the best cards to build their perfect MTG Deck.  Longer than it takes to build a spellbook.
2.  If we had less schools or card types, people would be asking for more.
3.  I think the dice eliminates having over powered cards.  Which is worse for a card.  Roll 5 dice or score 10 damage everytime.  Besides, it's magic, spells don't always go off as planned.
4.  My 8 year old played it and was able to hold his own against me.  I like how you only start out with your Mage and build up from there.  The game grows as you play.
5.  As I said in previous statement, Game grows as you play.  Once the steps are mastered they become second nature and besides, the steps are marked on the player boards. 

Academy was to be the simpler version and it didn't seem to catch on.  I love this game.  I want to see it succeed and do well but I believe Arcane wonders will have to have some real magic up their sleeves to fully resurrect this game.  (Pun intended.)

RobMurray

• Playtester
  • New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2020, 01:32:20 PM »
All good points, BUT, just by being a part of this forum our opinion's will be bias. We're all here because we love the game. (Or maybe its our stellar personalities :o )

If AW's objective is to streamline the game and make it more palatable for gamers as a whole, than we need to address the concerns of the majority.

JAM2099

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2020, 02:12:36 PM »
Stellar personalities...has to be.

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2020, 09:27:01 AM »
All good points, BUT, just by being a part of this forum our opinion's will be bias. We're all here because we love the game. (Or maybe its our stellar personalities :o )

If AW's objective is to streamline the game and make it more palatable for gamers as a whole, than we need to address the concerns of the majority.
Do we know AW's objective for the game? Or, do we just know what our preferences are for the game?

With Foundations of Rome currently underway as Arcane Wonder's first ever Kickstarter game and 3,500+ backers at the moment it is possible that AW could develop and support future Mage Wars Arena using a Kickstarter approach rather than through the more costly retail distribution channels. Time will tell, but the opportunities exist for really engaging fans and players into the process of redeveloping the Mage Wars Arena game experience.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

RobMurray

• Playtester
  • New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2020, 12:00:31 PM »
At this point, all we have is speculation.

Brian VanAlstyne

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2020, 07:28:12 PM »
At this point, all we have is speculation.

I predict this is all we have for at least a year if not more.

wmcastillo28

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Group for local tabletop gaming
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2020, 10:17:23 PM »
Man, i hope they do something with it. Honestly, even if they decide not to, at least put it to rest. Say something like its no longer going to be supported or something so we stop holding on. I absolutely LOVE the game where I'm at and recently bought 3 more core sets for that moment someone is interested in it, i'll GIVE it to them if it keeps the game alive.
  • Favourite Mage: Sortilege Wizard

Arkdeniz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
  • Hated by the Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2020, 02:11:26 AM »
Ah, but speculation about what, if anything, AW will do for Mage Wars is the third major part of the game. There is spellbook design, actual play, and speculation...
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
"Frost damage is a scam an armor dealer invented once to make a Beastmaster buy a new fur" - Exid

'No! Winter is coming." - Elementalist

RobMurray

• Playtester
  • New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2020, 06:29:29 AM »
You forgot the fourth part; crying about Pillar! ;D

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2020, 06:41:49 AM »
A Mage Wars 2 would be the perfect opportunity to start the brand fresh, with a more organized release structure and the opportunity to bring back players such as myself who enjoyed the game but who have stopped playing due to the game's age- a win-win on both sides. Also, the game could used more streamlined mechanics and with rules that don't lead to years of discussion due to confusion, which would promote a stronger community and tournament structure.
If MW 2.0 is the plan, then I'm out. I wouldn't buy any product not compatible with current Arena, which is in no need of streamlining or changing at all IMO.

The only thing that does need changing is the cost formula attached to various traits which causes lots of interesting but unviable cards to be churned out - but that's not a structural problem in the rules, it's a design issue, and fixed by better cards.

But honestly I don't see anything useful or likely in MW's future, despite the official words (and many before.

ThisIsDeutch

« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2020, 01:23:55 PM »
A Mage Wars 2 would be the perfect opportunity to start the brand fresh, with a more organized release structure and the opportunity to bring back players such as myself who enjoyed the game but who have stopped playing due to the game's age- a win-win on both sides. Also, the game could used more streamlined mechanics and with rules that don't lead to years of discussion due to confusion, which would promote a stronger community and tournament structure.
If MW 2.0 is the plan, then I'm out. I wouldn't buy any product not compatible with current Arena, which is in no need of streamlining or changing at all IMO.

The only thing that does need changing is the cost formula attached to various traits which causes lots of interesting but unviable cards to be churned out - but that's not a structural problem in the rules, it's a design issue, and fixed by better cards.

I haven't checked on the Discord channel in over a year, but if my memory serves me correctly a lot of discussion came from the confusion regarding the powers and effects of various cards, as well as discussion regarding card errata. I expect that this sort of back and forth is still prevalent on the MW Discord.

Ironically, I think that this dialogue is the only thing keeping the community together. Nevertheless, if Arcane Wonders is not taking the fanbase for idiots and will actually release future Mage Wars content, then it would be better to start from scratch- constant discussion for years regarding card errata is ridiculous, and shouldn't be repeated again. And no offence to those asking for backwards compatibility or else you'll quit Arcane Wonders, but AW doesn't care about this small community- the last 4 years have been proof of that. It makes more sense for them (from a business standpoint) to attract 200-300 new customers, instead of trying to keep a small group of 10-20 people interested in their products.

But honestly I don't see anything useful or likely in MW's future, despite the official words (and many before).

Considering that the last message came from an employee of AW who hasn't posted here in nearly 7 years, I would say that this means more than if someone in charge of community relations had written that post.  I'm not confident either, but I'm pretty sure that there's a reason he's the one who posted.

On a side note: it speaks to the disaster that is Arcane Wonder's community engagement, when Scott Morris and Laddinfance leave and it's news, but Tony leaves and the members of the community either have no idea it happened or don't even care. Good riddance.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 01:26:57 PM by ThisIsDeutch »