April 16, 2024, 01:34:00 PM

Author Topic: Call to all MW players...Tools of the Trade  (Read 16552 times)

drmambo23

• Ambassador
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Call to all MW players...Tools of the Trade
« on: December 26, 2017, 05:14:46 PM »
The official tool of the trade post can be found here:

http://forum.arcanewonders.com/index.php?topic=18575.0

So I have been thinking for a while now of making a "tools of the trade" type post, either 1 that has all mages separated in it or a different one for each mage...i lean more towards the former.  Regardless, I want this to be a community project that I update weekly.  This gives everyone a chance to share their ideas and have them all found in one location.  If you found the idea from someone else's book or video, if you can find a link to the original post please send it to me.  This allows others to view the content in context and gives the originator some credit as well.  If it is your own idea dont provide any links.  If you can't find a link just let me know you heard it on an AD vid or saw it in a book about x,y, or z, etc.

Anyways, the premise is going to be "tips and tricks" for a mage wars player, new or experienced.

These could be anything from

Necromancer:
use idol of pestilence to damage your opponent without taking damage yourself because you are poison immune

to

Charmyna's rust yourself to drop corrode markers then transfuse rust to the enemy (i believe he was the original one who posted that)

But you get the idea, anything that is helpful is welcome.

I dont have my notepad in front of me but a few i remember off the top of my head are

AC Warlock:
*Curseweave rise again
*riseagain a flame immune creature when fighting an adramelech warlock
*curseweave works on friendly curses (demonic bloodlust, demonic link)

Adramelech warlock:
*demonic link or bloodlust a friendly creature and use adramelechs torment to place a burn on them and fireweave it over (sharkbait)
*Range attacks trigger demonic reward for the mage and sersiryx

Forcemaster:
*forcepull up a steep hill through minds eye to avoid using your full action (puddinhead from an AD vid)
* mind control a flame immune creature against the adramelech warlock
* reveal galvanize right after mind control to use the creature immediately

Siren:
*Sirens call with your quick cast then guard with your full action to save your creatures from taking a big hit

Necromancer:
*Curse of decay is helpful in a mirror match

those are just a few examples.

But if anyone has something they have found is helpful with a mage and wants to share, please share.  Useful combos with paladin auras, movement manipulation, ways to work with sirens call, forcepull, etc.  I am open to all ideas.

Also, there will be another "general" section where I will post ideas that apply to most (holy, dark, mind, etc) or all mages.

Please send me all ideas in a pm with the subject line "Tools of the trade" and then post your ideas in the body.  I will compile them and post them in the original post so people do not have to hunt through a page or 2 to ideas for 1 mage.

I want to have this up and running by 1/15/18 so any ideas I have before then will be in the original post.  Any ideas people send after that will be added the following week.

Thank you all for reading and I look forward to seeing all of your guys ideas!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 01:01:57 PM by drmambo23 »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
https://www.instagram.com/pistillidesigns/
Instagram and Facebook - @pistillidesigns

Beldin

• The Craziest
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Call to all MW players...Tools of the Trade
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 03:19:09 AM »
Forcemaster - Chant of Rage, target their creature, and indirectly target a Force Gremlin you control. The Force Gremlin is invisible thus cannot be attacked.

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 10:08:12 PM »
Forcemaster - Chant of Rage, target their creature, and indirectly target a Force Gremlin you control. The Force Gremlin is invisible thus cannot be attacked.

If the creature can't do something required (in this case, attack the Force Gremlin), it is free to do whatever it wants once it is in its zone.
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

Beldin

• The Craziest
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 05:48:28 PM »
If the creature can't do something required (in this case, attack the Force Gremlin), it is free to do whatever it wants once it is in its zone.

But it will be out of the zone I am in.

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2018, 10:22:20 AM »
I don't even know if you can put the marker on an invisible creature. Does it require targeting? But yes even with chant of rage they can completely ignore a  invisible creature for all intents and puroses. So itd be a bad choice
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
I love this game. Its awesome!

keejchen

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2018, 01:08:30 PM »
Hate does not require targeting, so it is possible. If the affected creature is in the same zone as the gremlin, then it will be free to make other choices, because no mandatory action can be taken. However, if not in the same zone as gremlin, the affected creature will have to move towards the zone with the gremlin.

I'd say it is a legit strategy.
  • Favourite Mage: Sortilege Wizard

drmambo23

• Ambassador
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2018, 09:09:51 AM »
Thank you guys for the pms and responses on the thread.  The lists are coming along. I do need some help with nature, beastmasters but mostly druid, and holy mages.  Those are 2 mage types i rarely play so i have very little experience with them. Any feed back on any mage or strategies are welcome but holy and nature need the most help atm.

Thanks again
https://www.instagram.com/pistillidesigns/
Instagram and Facebook - @pistillidesigns

farkas1

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2018, 10:45:50 AM »
Inn it on the beast masters and I will try and think. Of some combos for druids as well.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

Brian VanAlstyne

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2018, 11:57:37 AM »
There's the Divine Intervention trick to force an opponents mage to waste a big creature.

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • Out of the ashes, a new power will rise.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2018, 11:59:24 AM »
There's the Divine Intervention trick to force an opponents mage to waste a big creature.
Also the one where they try to attack spell you and DI whisks you away, essentially wasting their action, sbp, and mana.
The Phoenix shall rise.

Jbuzzsaw79

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2018, 01:31:42 PM »
Also the one where they try to attack spell you and DI whisks you away, essentially wasting their action, sbp, and mana.

So just so am clear if some one was casting say hurl rock on my I reveal DI and put them away the cast retarget something else and the waste spell and action for it, so after they declare then u reveal before the roll huh, interesting
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2018, 01:52:44 PM »

So just so am clear if some one was casting say hurl rock on my I reveal DI and put them away the cast retarget something else and the waste spell and action for it, so after they declare then u reveal before the roll huh, interesting

Correct. Although that would be a bit of a waste, since the enemy's Hurl Rock is definitely fewer sbp's and mana than DI.

Consider having DI on a Warlock who tries to summon [mwcard=MW1C01]Adramelech, Lord of Fire[/mwcard]. Reveal [mwcard=MW1E11]Divine Intervention[/mwcard] at the end of the "Counter spell" step after mana has been paid. The Warlock gets teleported (even if 0 zones) and loses LOS to the zone, thus the Adramelech creature spell fizzles, and the Warlock is out 24 mana / 6 sbp cards (and is unlikely to have a back-up copy of the Lord of Fire in her spell book).

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • Out of the ashes, a new power will rise.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2018, 02:05:26 PM »

You can also put the DI on yourself and you can then essentially negate the attack.
The Phoenix shall rise.

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2018, 02:50:44 PM »
If you couple divine intervention with an enchantment transfusion, you've got an on demand counterspell.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
I love this game. Its awesome!

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2018, 03:08:09 PM »
If you couple divine intervention with an enchantment transfusion, you've got an on demand counterspell.

And the entire trick is a complete jerk move using a rules exploit and a spell  (Enchantment Transfusion) that should have never been printed  ;)

But yes, if you are moved (even to the same place) in the middle of casting ANY spell, that spell is canceled.  Obviously the ideal things to counterspell with DI will be 12+ mana and/or 3+ sbp.  Such as a Purge Magic or a Grizzly Bear.