April 16, 2024, 12:51:23 PM

Author Topic: favorite creature  (Read 13513 times)

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
favorite creature
« on: December 17, 2017, 10:11:43 AM »
now that folks have discussed their favorite spells. lets go for specific type.what is your favorite creature for whatever reason. coolness, powerful, artwork, fun, whatever. or perhaps your top two.

i am going with the
   darkfenne hydra.

reminds me of the movie jason and the argonauts, and the feared dnd creature. just thematically cool.

second is much more difficult.

gorgon archer

for the similar reasons.

though love the artwork on the water elemental and it is really cool too.

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • Out of the ashes, a new power will rise.
    • View Profile
Re: favorite creature
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2017, 11:19:10 AM »
Favorite creatures
1. Ehren Enduring Paladin. He's so cheap and requires very little support. Whenever my opponent focuses him, I just smile and count just how much of a mana/action/sbp advantage.
2. Dorseas Stallion of Westlock. He's SO useful. Taking a lot of dot dmg? Dorseas will solve your problem. Your Ehren is about to die from rot but you have int next round? Dorseas will solve your problem. So on and so forth.
The Phoenix shall rise.

SirJasonCrage

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2017, 11:56:02 AM »
My favorite creature would be Malacoda.
I never use him, but damn, he looks cool, is strong as fuck and has justified balance in his price and his slow trait.

As for Reddicediaries: Wasn't Ini irrelevant during upkeep phase? I thought either player decides for his own creatures in which order he wants to resolve all the upkeep stuff.

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • Out of the ashes, a new power will rise.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2017, 12:01:02 PM »
My favorite creature would be Malacoda.
I never use him, but damn, he looks cool, is strong as fuck and has justified balance in his price and his slow trait.

As for Reddicediaries: Wasn't Ini irrelevant during upkeep phase? I thought either player decides for his own creatures in which order he wants to resolve all the upkeep stuff.
Having int is important bc in the first quick cast phase of the next round you can heal the dmg creature without letting the opponent being able to react.
The Phoenix shall rise.

Arkdeniz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
  • Hated by the Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2017, 04:28:59 AM »
Sardonyx.

Because one day a hero will come who can make that creature work. And that day will be a day of glory.

But it is not this day.
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
"Frost damage is a scam an armor dealer invented once to make a Beastmaster buy a new fur" - Exid

'No! Winter is coming." - Elementalist

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2017, 11:36:37 AM »
Thornlasher. Best creature in the game. 11 life regen 2, almost impossible to ace down in one round, a practically elusive attack that ranged at 0-1, can't be pushed, ignores chant of rage and such, is hardly worth mind controlling, all for the BARGAIN price of 7 mana. Insane value!
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
I love this game. Its awesome!

Beldin

• The Craziest
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2017, 11:58:08 PM »
Thornlasher. Best creature in the game. 11 life regen 2, almost impossible to ace down in one round, a practically elusive attack that ranged at 0-1, can't be pushed, ignores chant of rage and such, is hardly worth mind controlling, all for the BARGAIN price of 7 mana. Insane value!

Thornlasher for days! I love this creature. I have used these as a conveyor belt to a kill zone.

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2017, 05:41:19 PM »
Hmm... Thornlasher is definitely good, and I have it in a few books beyond Druids. I also love Knight of Westlock, Zombie Brute and Darkfenne Bat for punching above their weight.

My favourite though has to be Guardian Angel.  Most books get better with one!

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2017, 06:33:30 PM »
I wonder what mages would get good millage out of a thornlasher. Beastmasters? Its the hard cast i think that makes that so tricky.
Guardian angel is a great creature, no doubt, but i find that especially now in the days of chant of rage and such, that they have lost some effectiveness.

Beldin

• The Craziest
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2017, 06:59:12 PM »
I wonder what mages would get good millage out of a thornlasher. Beastmasters? Its the hard cast i think that makes that so tricky.
Guardian angel is a great creature, no doubt, but i find that especially now in the days of chant of rage and such, that they have lost some effectiveness.

Siren can get some good use off them, Beastmaster can too, especially in BG.

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2017, 08:16:48 PM »
Any mage with an interest in ongoing positional play can use them well.

I did use them in Siren, but actually, I've now gone back to Merren Harpooner in that slot. Although it's more expensive, that Range 2 Snatch is excellent, and the extra damage doesn't hurt.

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2017, 10:09:17 PM »
i originally had thought of using them in a siren, my problem was that they roll fewer dice in a shallow sea which is where youd want them pulling things. Yes the harpooner is awesome, but shes also super expensive!!! and lvl3. i like her still, but shes not as spamable.

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2017, 11:11:45 PM »
Lightning Raptor is probably my favorite. It's purely a theme thing that I love both Dinos and Lightning things.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2017, 07:40:24 AM »
I love Lightning Raptor because with a Dodge, and maybe a Giant Size, it forces the opponent to pay way more than you did to deal with it.

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2017, 07:28:55 AM »
Good call on Thornlashers. Hadn't considered them, but they've always been the bread and butter of my Druid book.

Cervere makes an appearance in most of my Nature books these days. Fast + Elusive is just so good, especially in Domination books.

I have a soft spot for Mort, the skeleton unicorn. There are few ways to "heal" the undead, so giving your skeletons effectively Regenerate 2 is pretty awesome. Reconstructs your Wall of Bones and Altar of Skulls, too. And his 4 dice + Tainted attack is scary in its own right.

Malacoda can be great in a Necromancer build, especially in Domination. He's probably the best Guard for a double-orb zone - if you can keep him from getting pushed/teleported around. You could Tanglevine/Anchor him, but then he essentially becomes a Pest, so you give up his ability to actually guard the orb or to counterstrike (but the poison still works). His biggest drawback is you have to hard-cast him at range 0, and he's slow, so he can take a while to get into position (unless you (Lesser) Teleport him to his destination).

Necropian Vampiress, Thunderrift Falcon and Naiya get honourable mentions.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 08:42:21 AM by iNano78 »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster