April 24, 2024, 03:32:19 PM

Author Topic: 1 Dispel and Dissolve  (Read 10283 times)

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • Out of the ashes, a new power will rise.
    • View Profile
1 Dispel and Dissolve
« on: January 21, 2017, 08:37:40 PM »
So I have been seeing a lot of books with 0-2 dispel dissolve. The people that play those books say they have "more important actions to do. What are those actions and can 1 dispel/dissolve really change the game state enough to swing it?
The Phoenix shall rise.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
Re: 1 Dispel and Dissolve
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 10:41:17 PM »
In the case of Jimillias Necromancer she is normally summoning skeletons and cursing you. Curse Item is more useful to her than Dissolve for example. Dispel with a dark mage is for removing buffs on your enemy, well so is Arcane Corruption. Dark has a utility all it's own these days that people forget.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 10:45:34 PM »
In the case of Jimillias Necromancer she is normally summoning skeletons and cursing you. Curse Item is more useful to her than Dissolve for example. Dispel with a dark mage is for removing buffs on your enemy, well so is Arcane Corruption. Dark has a utility all it's own these days that people forget.
Her book seems very meta specific. 4 ghoul' rots is 8 points that can be useless in certain matchups. Also seems high armor is not very prevelent.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 10:53:58 PM by Reddicediaries »
The Phoenix shall rise.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017, 10:53:51 PM »
Her book has won matches at Gen Con and against some of the best on the forums from outside Charlotte. The 4 ghoul rots I've argued with her about in the past I admit. Her book works for her very well though.
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2017, 10:55:08 PM »
Her book has won matches at Gen Con and against some of the best on the forums from outside Charlotte. The 4 ghoul rots I've argued with her about in the past I admit. Her book works for her very well though.

i bet it does (good book played by great player.)
Vs AT Tank, you are in trouble though. And from what she posted, no curse item.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 11:00:41 PM by Reddicediaries »
The Phoenix shall rise.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2017, 11:26:00 PM »
That would explain why that book is short some points when I counted it. She's got it in there.

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2017, 11:32:06 PM »
That would explain why that book is short some points when I counted it. She's got it in there.
Then the book would be over 1 point.
I guess tanks are not popular in Charlotte: 1 dissolve will not do you a whole lot of goof.
The Phoenix shall rise.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2017, 11:35:44 PM »
I guess tanks are not popular in Charlotte: 1 dissolve will not do you a whole lot of goof.

We have tanks. I'd caution you against making assumptions about our meta. Just because something doesn't work for you doesn't mean it's not valid elsewhere. Hopefully you'll get a chance to play some of us some day :)

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2017, 11:37:34 PM »

We have tanks. I'd caution you against making assumptions about our meta. Just because something doesn't work for you doesn't mean it's not valid elsewhere. Hopefully you'll get a chance to play some of us some day :)
Hopefully I can make gen con this year. Tanks must be a dificult matchup still, would need some seperate plans i guess.
The Phoenix shall rise.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2017, 11:43:18 PM »

Hopefully I can make gen con this year. Tanks must be a dificult matchup still, would need some seperate plans i guess.

I use Tangle Vines to keep them in place myself and let my beefier creatures take care of them while the swarm builds. I know local Dark Mages  use Curses like Enfeeble, Agony, Mage Bane, etc to counter a lot of them but as I'm not a Dark main I wouldn't speak for them entirely.

Tanks come in the form of Force Masters, Araxian Warlocks, Beast Masters, and Paladins most commonly here. We lost our only Wizard primary player and while we're recruiting lots of new players I don't know if any will go tank. Druids do well here.

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2017, 11:44:46 PM »

I use Tangle Vines to keep them in place myself and let my beefier creatures take care of them while the swarm builds. I know local Dark Mages  use Curses like Enfeeble, Agony, Mage Bane, etc to counter a lot of them but as I'm not a Dark main I wouldn't speak for them entirely.

Tanks come in the form of Force Masters, Araxian Warlocks, Beast Masters, and Paladins most commonly here. We lost our only Wizard primary player and while we're recruiting lots of new players I don't know if any will go tank. Druids do well here.
That's solid. What does FM tank look like?
The Phoenix shall rise.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2017, 12:09:40 AM »
A pain in the dairy arse. It surges a lot faster than other tanks and usually involves hefty defensive enchantments as well as the the equipment to get it done. Steal Equipment to make your opponents strength your own. Focused fire on the mage at all times with Enchantments being used to control other creatures. 90% of all damage comes from the Mage and a dancing Scimitar.

I suppose an Invisible Stalker would technically make it a "buddy build" even if the only Stalker I see normally goes and tears down infrastructure more. My friend TrentMagus took 4th at Gen Con with a Force Master Tank in 2015.

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2017, 12:12:06 AM »
A pain in the dairy arse. It surges a lot faster than other tanks and usually involves hefty defensive enchantments as well as the the equipment to get it done. Steal Equipment to make your opponents strength your own. Focused fire on the mage at all times with Enchantments being used to control other creatures. 90% of all damage comes from the Mage and a dancing Scimitar.

I suppose an Invisible Stalker would technically make it a "buddy build" even if the only Stalker I see normally goes and tears down infrastructure more. My friend TrentMagus took 4th at Gen Con with a Force Master Tank in 2015.
I see, tough indeed. Saw Magus' build, real nice. How does your SB match up against it?
The Phoenix shall rise.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2017, 12:20:53 AM »
Well Magus moved to the Czech Republic last year so I've regretfully not fought him in a while. While he was here we fought constantly with our primary mages as Trent Magus is a very long time gaming rival of mine. Savage, vicious matches. We split them down the middle mostly but then that's from 2 guys who know each other VERY well and knew what was in each others books. One of us would take a lead in wins and then fall back down as the other learned.

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2017, 12:23:12 AM »
Well Magus moved to the Czech Republic last year so I've regretfully not fought him in a while. While he was here we fought constantly with our primary mages as Trent Magus is a very long time gaming rival of mine. Savage, vicious matches. We split them down the middle mostly but then that's from 2 guys who know each other VERY well and knew what was in each others books. One of us would take a lead in wins and then fall back down as the other learned.
Sad indeed. I know your beastmaster is fleixible (enough removal, swarm or buddies) It seems it would be up to him to put the pressure on.
The Phoenix shall rise.