April 17, 2024, 08:42:13 PM

Author Topic: Druid  (Read 24717 times)

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
Re: Druid
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2016, 10:36:13 PM »
FIVE HOURS?! For a one on one? I'm curious as to what mages you are used to facing? What in heavens name are they doing while you take three full rounds and then some ( 2x trees, 2x harmonize, tataree, plus 2x walls)? I mean I'm glad you're getting good milage out of your druid book but i wonder what style of play you're used to seeing and from what mages? 3 hours is a long game for most,  many being decisively won or lost within an hour.

Perhaps im missing something, maybe you post the book?
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
I love this game. Its awesome!

Head over feels

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2016, 11:34:20 PM »
I usually go against Priestesses, Beastmasters, and Necros with my deck, I don't have FvW. I don't use it against Warlock because, well, fire and I'm terrified of the Wizard's Obelisk so I don't do it against that either. Here's my current version of the book. I'm pretty sure it all adds up Spellbook point wise, but I just updated it today and haven't double checked so lookout.

Equipment:
1x Vinewhip Staff
1x Druid's Leaf Ring
1x Mohktari's Branch
1x Mage Wand
1x Moonglow Amulet
(I just stay far away and hope they don't have Dissolves or Explodes)

Conjurations:
6x Bloodspine Wall
2x Wall of Thorns
3x Mana Flower
4x Seedling Pod
1x Vine Tree
1x Samara Tree
2x Nightshade Lotus

Creatures:
2x Tataree (to piss em off after they finally kill the first)
2x Thunderift Falcon
1x Tarok, the Skyhunter
4x Thornlasher
2x Vine Snapper
3x Raptor Vine
1x Togorah

Incantations:
(All incantations are to be assumed to be primarily used from the Mage Wand, any additional copies are back up in case I can't swap in the same round when I really want to use x Incantation)

2x Burst of Thorns (main bound spell)
2x Renewing Rain (secondary bound spell)
4x Dissolve
3x Force Push
1x Minor Heal (exclusively to slap on the wand when you want to support Togorah)
3x Dispel
1x Purge Magic
1x Resurrection (for Togorah or if you really wanna piss them off with 3x Tataree)

Enchantments:
1x Barkskin
1x Bear Strength       |
1x Rhino Hide           |-> maybe better saved for after Ressurection?
1x Bull's Endurance   |

Attacks:
4x Acid Ball

I don't use Tangle/Stranglevines here, usually the walls keep people off my back until I'm ready to deal with them, then I kinda can just force push them or use my Vinewhip Staff.

Most of the people I play this against are first time or at least new, but then again, I've only played the game like 6 times. I tell them I'm weak to fire, and explain the mechanics as best I can but I don't think they really grasp how much stuff the Druid can get out when she has a lot of mana and Seedling Pods strewn about until they see it. The other issue is that they usually just end up getting impatient with Spellbook construction and picking random cards they like too, so they don't have much of a strategy going into it. When I throw up a wall 2nd round it always just ends up with them holding back and getting some gear on and minions summoned. I think knowing that I've played this game before they're afraid to just go through the wall because they wanna keep their creatures alive and think I'll wreck them if they come through for whatever reason. Then they leave me alone so long and just pick at my walls that they don't even want to come in because of the way that my side of the board must look. It's become a totally predictable pattern of me putting a wall in their face and them just handing back  putting on gear and summoning creatures. Then they start attacking my walls because it's the only thing to do and I just heal them. Then they break them down and I put up the Bloodspine Wall in its place and they run to the back wall so they don't get pulled. They either stay there or summon some ranged creature in which case they attack my Thornlashers while Tataree and I move up to do some healing/Thorn Bursting. They run out of archers at some point. Then I get my Raptor Vines in their face and they start taking them out until ultimately they make a move to attack me because my Raptor Vines are dead, and I yank their mage through my walls, they get passed around my grid of Thornlashers while I attack, Tataree comes in with his butterfly kiss 1d and whispers "yur ded m8" and Togorah usually slams them to bits. I'm pretty sure that if they came across this deck again and just took some attack spells and teleport it would destroy me, but usually after an introduction to the game like this they never want to play it again ;D Also, I would never use the same tactic against the same person. I tried that and they still lost, but brought more flying creatures and began targeting my mana flowers. Telltale sign they know what's up.

Ps When I was playing against my brother as the necro I got him through the wall and left him with 1 health. I could have finished him then and there but I brought Tataree over to seal the deal. Death by butterfly is the best way to finish the game, I'm telling you.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 12:17:42 AM by Head over feels »
"I have crabs." - Shoalsdeep Siren

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2016, 03:15:47 AM »
Oof. Tataree is legendary. You can only book one of her.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2016, 03:25:24 AM »
Oof. Tataree is legendary. You can only book one of her.

You're confusing legendary with epic. You can include more than one copy of a legendary creature in your spellbook at a time, there just can't be more than one copy of it in play at a time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Super Sorcerer

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2016, 03:48:15 AM »
ב"ה
I usually go against Priestesses, Beastmasters, and Necros with my deck, I don't have FvW. I don't use it against Warlock because, well, fire and I'm terrified of the Wizard's Obelisk so I don't do it against that either. Here's my current version of the book. I'm pretty sure it all adds up Spellbook point wise, but I just updated it today and haven't double checked so lookout.
How does this book work against necromancers?
Most necromancers I played against, and all necromancers I've used myself, used Idol of pestilence and deathlock early, while they stayed in their corners and meditated. If you block the line of sight of your vine tree with walls of thorns, then you can't just bring creatures to these zones with your vine tree. How do you handle the deathlock an Idol of pestilence?

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2016, 03:51:15 AM »
I don't use it against Warlock because, well, fire and I'm terrified of the Wizard's Obelisk so I don't do it against that either.

I have fire spells in at least 50% of my books, although not as many as an Adramelech Warlock.

Any book runnning light on creatures carries Obelisk and Orb, often multiple copies - it's easy to crucify creature heavy books that way.

I get the impression that you are all mostly sticking to in-school cards, rather than splashing whatever tools you need for the job?

I'd say a standard book has 5-6 destroy equipment effects, along with acid balls and at least one mage wand... Disarm also works at range 2.

I'm pretty sure that if they came across this deck again and just took some attack spells and teleport it would destroy me, but usually after an introduction to the game like this they never want to play it again ;D

So poor opposition that don't don't know what they are doing, and are discouraged from playing again... And you called that a win right?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 03:57:40 AM by Kelanen »

Head over feels

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2016, 11:46:37 AM »
ב"ה
How does this book work against necromancers?
Most necromancers I played against, and all necromancers I've used myself, used Idol of pestilence and deathlock early, while they stayed in their corners and meditated. If you block the line of sight of your vine tree with walls of thorns, then you can't just bring creatures to these zones with your vine tree. How do you handle the deathlock an Idol of pestilence?

I summon birds, and fast. Usually they break them out after LoS is opened up again, so not early. My brother took Alter of Skulls and killed my birds before I could take it down, but the game ended before it would've killed both of us.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 12:24:49 PM by Head over feels »

Head over feels

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2016, 12:11:49 PM »
I don't use it against Warlock because, well, fire and I'm terrified of the Wizard's Obelisk so I don't do it against that either.

I have fire spells in at least 50% of my books, although not as many as an Adramelech Warlock.

Any book runnning light on creatures carries Obelisk and Orb, often multiple copies - it's easy to crucify creature heavy books that way.

I get the impression that you are all mostly sticking to in-school cards, rather than splashing whatever tools you need for the job?

I'd say a standard book has 5-6 destroy equipment effects, along with acid balls and at least one mage wand... Disarm also works at range 2.

I'm pretty sure that if they came across this deck again and just took some attack spells and teleport it would destroy me, but usually after an introduction to the game like this they never want to play it again ;D

So poor opposition that don't don't know what they are doing, and are discouraged from playing again... And you called that a win right?

1. Good, then you could deal with me with those fire spells, but the guys I was against didn't want to take any.
2. The guys I was against didn't take either so it turned out fine.
3. I did stick with in-school cards, not cuz I don't want to splash but because most of the tools I want to have are in     there. It's worked so far, but I do alter it a smidge based on who I'm going against, like swapping Togorah for Kralthor and taking some light attacks vs necros. This is just the version of the deck that's most focused around its own concept, and not around countering what the enemy player is doing, since the enemy player is kinda X right now.
4.If they has them, they never usually came out because I hid behind my walls early and Togorah dealt with them late.
  They really didn't want to approach me upfront to remove any equipment.
5. I evidently don't know what I'm doing either so it's a game win but a loss of future opportunities to play. A couple of
    my friends said that they would play it again, but they just wished that they could get familiar with more of the
    cards ahead of time since they didn't actually know what they look like in play. My brother played 3 times, 2 of
    which were against this concept, as a necro and as the wizard, and the other time was my creature-hate Wizard
    against his Beastmaster. He gained a view of this game as a tedious experience, and he would be right when his
    experience has been 4-5 hours backed against a wall attacking vine markers, and another three hours trying
    to rustle up enough mana to do anything. Pretty much I'm a safe player going against newer players that
    also want to play safe. I abused my familiarity of the cards definitely but I warned them I wouldn't be going easy
    on them, and pointed to the starting Spellbook as a base to go off of.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 12:19:32 PM by Head over feels »

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2016, 01:23:00 PM »
4.If they has them, they never usually came out because I hid behind my walls early and Togorah dealt with them late.   They really didn't want to approach me upfront to remove any equipment.

In fairness, whilst I'd expect plenty of anti-equipment spells, you aren't very reliant on equipment, and there's probably only one piece you have that would be worth destroying - the Mage Wand. You should assume that will get destroyed though, and only cast it when you will use it, and if you get subsequent uses it's a bonus.

Things like rings /moongloware worth playing, but seldom worth destroying.

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2016, 06:21:45 PM »
It can be frustrating trying to play against new players because if you actually try to win then you almost certainly will win. In your situation I think you should have used handicaps. Decrease your spell points, or decrease your Mage stats, or both. If you can, try to handicap yourself in particular ways that make your opponents more of a challenge, while also helping them improve particular Mage Wars skills. For instance if your opponents are having trouble knowing when to get up close and melee, then make a deck that specializes in keeping its distance and casting attack spells, and put on cloak of shadows. But don't have an overarching strategy beyond that. If they dissolve your cloak of shadows, try to get away from them to start attacking them at range. Try adjusting your life, spell points and spellbook design until you find a good balance that challenges your opponents to get better instead of utterly crushing them.

I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Head over feels

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2016, 11:58:27 PM »
Also I want to try this against a new player to make them hate me with a passion.

Tataree. Okay...
Tataree + Bear Strength + Bull's Endurance + Rhino Hide + Vampirism + Regrowth + maybe a life tree.
So long as they don't have any unavoidable attacks or Purge Magics I'd be pissing myself.

Head over feels

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2016, 12:08:13 AM »
It can be frustrating trying to play against new players because if you actually try to win then you almost certainly will win. In your situation I think you should have used handicaps. Decrease your spell points, or decrease your Mage stats, or both. If you can, try to handicap yourself in particular ways that make your opponents more of a challenge, while also helping them improve particular Mage Wars skills. For instance if your opponents are having trouble knowing when to get up close and melee, then make a deck that specializes in keeping its distance and casting attack spells, and put on cloak of shadows. But don't have an overarching strategy beyond that. If they dissolve your cloak of shadows, try to get away from them to start attacking them at range. Try adjusting your life, spell points and spellbook design until you find a good balance that challenges your opponents to get better instead of utterly crushing them.

To be honest my focus wasn't on bringing them up to speed with the game so much as enjoying the feeling of getting my full strategy realized. One of my friends and I are going to spend some time tomorrow playing apprentice mode and calling it quits when it seems one of us has the upper hand. Just over and over trying new builds. For her it will be a chance to get more familiar with the cards and mechanics while I get a chance to experiment with a wider range of mages (including the Paladin and Siren that I just received tonight). I've mostly been either playing the Druid or the Wizard. I'll also be forced to make up decks on the spot, as I've previously had a deck formulating three days in advance while also knowing ahead of time who they're going to play. Yeah in a way I've been cheating without actually breaking the rules. Time for me to fight a fair fight.

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2016, 01:16:51 AM »
I too have dreamt of the butterfly warrior! It would be really resource intensive though. Gator toughness and iguana regrowth would be musts if you were to even try it. It would indeed be hilarious

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2016, 08:19:13 AM »
Also I want to try this against a new player to make them hate me with a passion.

Tataree. Okay...
Tataree + Bear Strength + Bull's Endurance + Rhino Hide + Vampirism + Regrowth + maybe a life tree.
So long as they don't have any unavoidable attacks or Purge Magics I'd be pissing myself.

You forgot to add enchantment transfusions and more copies of Tataree.

Super Sorcerer

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2016, 05:12:57 PM »
ב"ה
I summon birds, and fast. Usually they break them out after LoS is opened up again, so not early. My brother took Alter of Skulls and killed my birds before I could take it down, but the game ended before it would've killed both of us.
What do you mean by "it would've killed both of us"?
The Altar of Skulls deal poison damage, so the necromancer is immune to this damage. Only the druid should have taken damage in upkeep phases from the altar of skulls.
The same applies for the Idol of Pestilence.