Author Topic: Druid  (Read 24732 times)

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
Re: Druid
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2016, 11:18:59 AM »
Weakness' of the druid: Found none.

Strengths: Treebond, Actions, low mana hardhitting creatures, big spellbook, waterspells, waterspells, waterspells, the roots (forgot name).

Add a Guardian angel to your book that you cast round 3 and 'defend' in case you get rushed and let the opponent action starve himself to death trying to work around it.

The only way to beat the druid is to empty his spellbook from creatures. Which is only few spellsbooks that can do it. (mainly zombiemancer and Wizard with gate. Maybe holy and Dark can compete with the latest addition of academy spells and soon PvS)

Basically any solo mage is doomed right off the bat.

Vs the spiked pit forcemaster the strategy needs to be recognized and there are many ways to counter it - especially blur combined with the roots (forgot name) makes it much harder to pull off.

If any 1 found an efficient strategy against druid that doesn't involve a very long game where you chop down a lot of plants i'm listening.

(And the good old 'fight plants with fire never worked')

bigfatchef

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2016, 12:58:56 PM »
Against druid:
- fire fire fire,
- Flying
- and finite life

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2016, 02:44:11 PM »
Against druid:
- fire fire fire,
- Flying
- and finite life

Perhaps flyers work, havent tested. Most books dont have alot of those packed though as they are fairly expensive.

Finite life does not solve your problem, and fire doesnt either.

Treebond is too good. I wish it was one way only (from tree to mage (keep tree alive)).

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2016, 03:21:14 PM »
Weakness' of the druid: Found none.

Strengths: Treebond, Actions, low mana hardhitting creatures, big spellbook, waterspells, waterspells, waterspells, the roots (forgot name).

Add a Guardian angel to your book that you cast round 3 and 'defend' in case you get rushed and let the opponent action starve himself to death trying to work around it.

The only way to beat the druid is to empty his spellbook from creatures. Which is only few spellsbooks that can do it. (mainly zombiemancer and Wizard with gate. Maybe holy and Dark can compete with the latest addition of academy spells and soon PvS)

Basically any solo mage is doomed right off the bat.

Vs the spiked pit forcemaster the strategy needs to be recognized and there are many ways to counter it - especially blur combined with the roots (forgot name) makes it much harder to pull off.

If any 1 found an efficient strategy against druid that doesn't involve a very long game where you chop down a lot of plants i'm listening.

(And the good old 'fight plants with fire never worked')

You need to kill the tree bond before it accumulates too much advantage. The Druid is weak to fire and once her tree is gone finite life is very good against her. In fact it's good against her even before she loses her tree. While she does have ways to cover for her weaknesses, that doesn't change the fact that they are still weaknesses. All mages have weaknesses and all mages have ways to cover those weaknesses.

Maybe this is a problem specific to your local metagame. What sets does your playgroup use?
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2016, 04:05:50 PM »
You need to kill the tree bond before it accumulates too much advantage.

Which is impossible without spending riddicilous amount of mana and actions thus getting far behind.

bigfatchef

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2016, 05:23:53 PM »
Against druid:
- fire fire fire,
- Flying
- and finite life

Perhaps flyers work, havent tested. Most books dont have alot of those packed though as they are fairly expensive.

Finite life does not solve your problem, and fire doesnt either.

Treebond is too good. I wish it was one way only (from tree to mage (keep tree alive)).
Fire kills the tree (and nearly all plants) faster and finite life works because if the druid can push damge to the bonded tree, but the tree can't regenerate it it hurts the tree. So no damage is lost.
Also i have many books with flyers in them. They are a good answer to enemy flyers and good against for example ... a druid. Not all are expensive, some are just weak or unarmored. They need some - for flying as + (at same mana)

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2016, 07:16:51 AM »

Which is impossible without spending riddicilous amount of mana and actions thus getting far behind.

You can kill it in a round on turn 3 (turn 2 if they place it other than their starting corner which is rare).

That said, an aggressive book can kill the Druid almost as fast. What the Druid is almost immune to is a book that is going to play a long slow game of build up, and then plink you for 4-6 damage a turn. A druid needs taken from unharmed to dead over 2-3 rounds max.

bigfatchef

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2016, 12:26:38 PM »

You can kill it in a round on turn 3 (turn 2 if they place it other than their starting corner which is rare).

That said, an aggressive book can kill the Druid almost as fast. What the Druid is almost immune to is a book that is going to play a long slow game of build up, and then plink you for 4-6 damage a turn. A druid needs taken from unharmed to dead over 2-3 rounds max.

So who is favor in a matchup of incredibly strong zombie swarm (after beeing build up slowly) versus a incredibly strong druid (after slow setup as well). Slow Resiliant zombies trying to kill one plant after another with deathlock / idol support. Whilst druid trying to heal everything (after getting rid of deathlock) and kralathor eats crawlers alive. The whole slasher/snapper/wall of thorns garden can hit pretty hard.

Sounds fair to me :)

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2016, 12:53:32 PM »
Slow Resiliant zombies trying to kill one plant after another with deathlock / idol support.

Start by not trying to kill all the plants... It's a trap, even for fire mages...

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2016, 06:03:24 PM »
Slow Resiliant zombies trying to kill one plant after another with deathlock / idol support.

Start by not trying to kill all the plants... It's a trap, even for fire mages...

I think bigfatchef means *after* the tree is destroyed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

bigfatchef

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2016, 02:50:27 AM »

I think bigfatchef means *after* the tree is destroyed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I didn't Think too much about it, actually :D
It is a matchup with 2 strong/slow/durable mages. And I am not sure who would have the better changes per se. Also there would be no flyers on both sides, so that is balanced, as well.

Mystery

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2016, 02:56:58 AM »
for me it often not focusing on tree and druid at all but first the creatures. So it can't kill me either

Super Sorcerer

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2016, 04:32:00 PM »
ב"ה
The druid is probably the mage hardest to rush, since either you focus the mage and leave the tree alone, and just let the mage transfer 2 life to the tree every turn, or you would have to spend about 2 big attack spells against the tree (which are attack spells not directed against the druid).
In my experience with the druid, I had the hardest time when I played against a warlock pentagram book. With so many thing with flaming attacks (the mage, the imps, the hellions and Adramelech), I was just lucky enough that in response to the bleed I got on my opponent she tried to drain life exactly to my reverse magic, which basically killed the warlock with a high roll (exactly when I was sure I was going to lose). Solo warlocks were easier to deal with.
My first turn is usually use the leaf ring + vine tree (so I stay with 19 mana for turn 2).
If my opponent seem to try to rush my, I bring a mana flower from the tree, a 2nd level animal (usually either an emerald tegu or a timber wolf) and a defensive enchantment (usually rhino hide). Turn 3 might possibly include a tanglevine on enemy mage during deployment (to keep him out of range 2 from the tree), and sometimes the vinewhip staff to make shure he stay stuck (astral anchor+arcane ward it usually a good follow up).
If my opponent seem to go for a long game, I have 2 options depending on which druid book I use, either mana flower deployment + samara tree + sunfire amulet (in my double tree book), or mana flower deployment + another mana flower + facedown enchantment on my mage to be used later.

Usually I recommend new players not to play with or against the druid in their first couple of games, since it is sort of an advanced mage.

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2016, 05:14:24 PM »
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, bit the vine tree cant cast mana flowers. They aren't vine spells. The samara tree kinda can, but only through seedling pods which probably shouldnt cast mana ramp spells anyway as they take several rounds to mature.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
I love this game. Its awesome!

Head over feels

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2016, 09:57:55 PM »
    My favourite Druid deck has historically made games last for 5 hours + and end in their surrender.
It kind of starts out with quickly throwing down a Vine Tree in the far right corner on your side of the board and tree-bonding it. Next you put a Samara Tree against the wall in the centre on your side and give them both cover with a Wall of Thorns down the centre of the board, separating your half from theirs. Next Harmonize your trees and get to work. Mostly they take it as a chance to build up their strength and meanwhile, I create a line of three Thornlashers and Mana Flowers along the wall, and one Lasher in the Samara Tree's zone too. Tataree, and Renewing Rain keep my walls up after they realize they can't just leave me to my own devices while some birds come out to deal with any flyers or if they're bunkering as well as I am. I start focusing Tataree on prepping one Seedling Pod for me to cast Togorah from, and during or after he comes out, getting some Nightshade Lotus guard-dogs for my trees and 1 Vine Snapper in both my corners while my Lashers help my opponent bring down my walls, and my Vine Tree corners itself in with Bloodspine Walls. After that's done I quickly replace the middle border with Bloodspine Walls, and now hesitant players push up against their back wall. Archers can become an issue here, but I have Burst of Thorns + Mage Wand and hopefully some leftover birds to help me there. I get Togorah buffed up and my Vine Tree and I put some Raptor Vines out on their side of the wall before Togorah and I follow up to try to finish the job, that or hang out on my side and swap Burst of Thorns for Renewing Rain on my wand. I'm pretty much a one trick pony Druid and only ever really use alterations of this general build when playing her, but I haven't lost with it yet. I feel like a lot of other players build their decks off of a concept, but I generally base my deck primarily off of what I want the board to look like so I end up with a kind of inflexible but solid balloon tower defence layout. Is this how most Druid builds work or what?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 10:10:28 PM by Head over feels »
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"I have crabs." - Shoalsdeep Siren