April 26, 2024, 10:58:14 PM

Author Topic: Druid  (Read 24746 times)

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • Out of the ashes, a new power will rise.
    • View Profile
Druid
« on: July 26, 2016, 02:42:59 PM »
Now I'm no novice player, but the druid and me don't mix. Any tips for running her effectively. Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 06:20:37 PM by Reddicediaries »
The Phoenix shall rise.

Squirrelmaster

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Druid
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 02:12:55 AM »
I must admit never had any real issues with her, it's the Forcemaster I struggle with.
What seems to be the main issues?
Using the vine tree is probably the better tree to tree bond to and protect it like anything. I like to drop a vine snapper in the same zone as the tree in case they try to get a creature in there. Dosen't protect to well against spells.
I also try to get as many vine markers out and across the board as it can really slow the opponent down.
I have run into an issue occasionally where I struggle to get to the Mage this has happened if it's been a long game and all my raptor vines are dead and I can't get them in the same zones as my thorn lashes or vine snappers. I try to run a couple of animals (usually spitting raptors/steelclaw grizzly) to off set this.
I also find she's good at going toe to toe with another Mage. Throw barkskin on her and some armor give her whip vine and she's pretty hard to kill with that 4 armor and essentially 4 regenerate.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

Ravepig

• Ambassador
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 08:45:27 AM »
Now I'm no movie player, but the druid and me don't mix. Any tips for running her effectively. Thanks!

Not that I'm an expert player- but the druid is my favorite mage and thus far I'm undefeated with her in my gaming group. What is your basic strategy with her/opening moves?

No tree, it is said, can grow to heaven unless its roots reach down to hell. – Carl Jung

Ravepig

• Ambassador
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 08:49:33 AM »
I must admit never had any real issues with her, it's the Forcemaster I struggle with.

I can't remember who posted this specific Forcemaster book that I borrowed, but it basically makes use of sucking players into a teleport trap with Forcemaster's ability and transporting the enemy mage into a killzone with the Spiked Pit trap, a Grizzly and a Devouring Jelly. I've only played the Forcemaster twice and both times used this strategy and both times won within 6 rounds. It's a killer strategy that left both my opponents with their jaws dropped.
No tree, it is said, can grow to heaven unless its roots reach down to hell. – Carl Jung

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2016, 10:13:48 AM »

I can't remember who posted this specific Forcemaster book that I borrowed, but it basically makes use of sucking players into a teleport trap with Forcemaster's ability and transporting the enemy mage into a killzone with the Spiked Pit trap, a Grizzly and a Devouring Jelly. I've only played the Forcemaster twice and both times used this strategy and both times won within 6 rounds. It's a killer strategy that left both my opponents with their jaws dropped.

That would be Borg's "Spiked Anchor" Forcemaster.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2016, 04:19:56 PM »
Can we get back onto the topic at hand? Sorry if I sound rude.
The Phoenix shall rise.

Ravepig

• Ambassador
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2016, 08:29:05 AM »
Can we get back onto the topic at hand? Sorry if I sound rude.

How are we not on topic? The first two responses posed questions to you so we could better understand what it is you are doing in the first place. Understanding your current strategy and opening moves will help others provide input into what works for them. When you respond to the questions posed it will get us back on track as you say. And for the Forcemaster comment- was simply trying to help squirrelmaster. Chill, dude.

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2016, 08:38:06 AM »
I'm sorry for offending any one. Hmm, I like using a vine tree and either sunfire amulet or mana flower. From there I often like deploying lots of stranglevines and tanglevines. I'll often include 2-4 animals in case of the plants being destroyed.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 06:21:04 PM by Reddicediaries »
The Phoenix shall rise.

Ravepig

• Ambassador
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2016, 09:22:47 AM »
I'm sorry for offending any one. Hmm, I like using a vine tree and either sunfire amulet or mana flower. From there I often like deployingn lots of stranglevines and tanglevines. I'll often include 2-4 animals in case of the plants being destroyed.

No worries, man.  So, my opening is the standard vine tree + harmonize. I also like getting teratree out giving my vine tree 3 mana per turn. What my mage does depends on what my opponent does. If he takes a few rounds to build up his defenses, etc., then I will take the opportunity to build up a garden. I try to target the two adjacent zones from my mages starting zone, keeping my mage well hidden in the starting zone. I simply make the enemy mage come after me. I also spellbind a heal spell to mage wand. With the plant creatures having regenerate and my mage healing as necessary, they are very difficult to kill, while my vine tree continues to add to the garden. I will throw out a seedling pod or two in home base that will eventually deploy Kralathor. At the same time, I'll summon an Asp or another cheap animal to feed Kralathor so he receives a growth marker right from the beginning.

Opposing Thornslashers playing tennis with enemies thru bloodspine wall is a fun defense.

Personally, I would ditch the sunfire amulet for the meditation amulet. With Barkskin and some basic equipment and the ability to lifebond with your tree, she is very hard to kill as is. I find the extra mana helpful as sometimes she doesn't have a whole lot to do as the garden takes care of itself.

Two weaknesses of the druid: Flying creatures and rush melee mages. The one time I came close to losing is when I got too aggressive with my mage early on. Fortunately, I recognized my mistake and retreated. If you're confronted with flying creatures, I play Gravikor and if the enemy mage rushes me, I make good use of the druid's vinewhip snap and tanglevine to slow the enemy down until I can get some growth going. I do have a few spitting raptors and a spider as well for mobility and ranged attacks, though I'm thinking about adding a grizzly for a bit more versatility. Spellbinding burst of thorns to mage wand can also trip the enemy up pretty good. By time they get close creatures will have already received several damage.

The secret to the druid (in my opinion) is patience. I'm sure others have very different strategies, but like I said, my druid is undefeated and most in my gaming group won't even play 1:1 with me if they know I'm playing druid. I would encourage you to keep giving her a try until you find what works for you. She's bad ass.

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2016, 10:58:41 AM »
Rule n°1 as a druid: Don't let your tree be destroyed
Rule n°1 when playing against a druid: Destroy the tree fast!
That's why I don't like harmonize on it. I don't like making it even more important.

As a druid, my opening looks like this in many cases:
T1: Druid leaf ring + tree (with discount)
T2: somthing + Mana flower (with discount)

If the opponent is also taking his time, another flower with discount in T3
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 11:01:39 AM by Halewijn »
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

Ravepig

• Ambassador
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2016, 11:20:07 AM »
Rule n°1 as a druid: Don't let your tree be destroyed
Rule n°1 when playing against a druid: Destroy the tree fast!
That's why I don't like harmonize on it. I don't like making it even more important.

As a druid, my opening looks like this in many cases:
T1: Druid leaf ring + tree (with discount)
T2: somthing + Mana flower (with discount)

If the opponent is also taking his time, another flower with discount in T3

Yeah, the druid leaf ring is a must, but I actually like making my tree a target with harmonize. It gives my opponent a reason to come after me. They have to get thru a whole lot of stuff to get to my vine tree.

littlenog

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2016, 06:46:17 AM »
Druid Leaf Ring

I am not completely sold on this ring because it does not work when casting through your spawn point.

An the # of plant spells is actually quite limited to what I would normally hard cast.

What are you takes on this?

I personally do not use the Leaf Ring.

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2016, 09:41:03 AM »
Druid Leaf Ring

I am not completely sold on this ring because it does not work when casting through your spawn point.

An the # of plant spells is actually quite limited to what I would normally hard cast.

Certainly it's weak. If you run a Battleforge then it pays it's way (just) in slower matchups (Mana Flowers, etc) but it's only just worth it. Without a Forge, and assuming you use the Vine Tree (and why wouldn't you, it's clearly the best) then DLR is pretty useless. If another viable Tree~BOND target comes out that could change however...

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2016, 09:50:13 AM »
It is absolutely NOT useless. If you don't play a Druid that runs a lot of plant spells then ok,you don't have to pack one. But first qc Druids Leaf ring before your tree (bonded likely) saved you one mana. Cast a mana flower next round get that for 4. Not to mention hard casting tangle/stranglevines. Is the Arcane ring useless? The Druid uses a lot of cards that cam potentially suck up her mana consistently, saving any when you can is phenomenal.
I love this game. Its awesome!

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2016, 10:42:21 AM »
It is absolutely NOT useless. If you don't play a Druid that runs a lot of plant spells then ok,you don't have to pack one. But first qc Druids Leaf ring before your tree (bonded likely) saved you one mana. Cast a mana flower next round get that for 4. Not to mention hard casting tangle/stranglevines. Is the Arcane ring useless? The Druid uses a lot of cards that cam potentially suck up her mana consistently, saving any when you can is phenomenal.

Like the OP, I have a lot of plant spells but most get cast by the Vine Tree. The remainder mean that, I only get 3-4 mana out of it in the first half of the game, which is only debatably worth the action. It's about the same worth as a WispWillow.

The time it does pay is those games that you keep recasting Barkskin for various reasons...
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 12:05:46 PM by Kelanen »