April 30, 2024, 07:13:36 AM

Author Topic: Paladin vs Siren Spoilers  (Read 377439 times)

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
Re: Paladin vs Siren Spoilers
« Reply #60 on: May 23, 2016, 11:38:00 AM »
Yeah :D. It really looks great. Finally a potent holy attack spell.
Btw, am I supposed to know wht malakai's basilica is?

Same could be said for the Paladins Solar Aura. With much the same response I imagine :)

Also kinda curious who the Viridian Lace are.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 23, 2016, 02:16:35 PM »
It's a boat.

Kaarin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 23, 2016, 05:37:44 PM »
Even though it has as many dice as Hurl Rock it can be boosted by Dawnbreaker Ring (and Malakai's fire) to deal more damage.
For some time I was thinking about melee attack spells, but was unsure how balanced they would be with melee+x bonuses.
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
OCTGN: Wstrzasniety (UTC+2)

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 23, 2016, 06:11:37 PM »
Just fun stuff and thoughts with blast...
at 0-0 ranged it can still shoot fliers for solid damage, which is always handy since Holy mages pay triple for Maim Wings.  As a ranged attack spell, even with 0-0 range, it gives Holy melee fighter a high damage option to bypass guards.  Also, of course, as an attack spell it can be mounted on an elemental wand, thoughtspore or Wizards Tower. 
It also only takes 3 mana to push it to 6 dice with a hawkeye, then 7 damage with the Light ring. (8 if you opt to pay triple for a marked for death, and just want to be that guy.)

Its effect roll is as reliable as pillar of light but hits with more meaningful damage.  So, it can be a chain-dazing beatdown tool- Melee weapon of choice mainhand, Blast wand off hand..then go rek stuff.  With its high damage and effect chance together, other melee mages can do well running it too (other than dark ones).  Forcemaster for example can pretty effectively combine it with double strikes from Galvatar for solid burst damage and reliable Daze/stuns.

It also-also has the nice perk that the only piece of equipment that grants "Light -X" is dark mage only (and that obscured is meaningless when the range is 0-0), so there are limited pieces to specifically single out this damage type unlike other elementals.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 06:26:47 PM by baronzaltor »

Kaarin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 23, 2016, 06:22:53 PM »
If You run both Akiro's Favor and Dawnbreaker Ring You've got 44% of stunning the enemy with the blast. It can be deadly especially when timed right.

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 23, 2016, 07:00:14 PM »
How does the dawnbreaker ring help the effect die? Does that add one to the effect die rolls as well? I was under the impression it did not, if im wrong though then that's awesome!
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
I love this game. Its awesome!

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 23, 2016, 07:08:44 PM »
Correct, Dawnbreakers ring doesn't increase the effect roll.

Light attacks gaining Melee+X or Ranged+X do not change the effect die, only the attack roll.

The effect roll only changes in the event of "Light +X", (such as most other Light attacks +2 vs nonliving) or Light -X (such as cloak of shadows)

So, for example, Fire Shaper Ring does not boost effect rolls.. only gives Melee/Ranged +1.. but the Adramlech Warlocks Smoldering Curses ability does, because it confers "Flame +1" on the target.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 07:11:29 PM by baronzaltor »

Kaarin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 23, 2016, 07:10:54 PM »
How does the dawnbreaker ring help the effect die? Does that add one to the effect die rolls as well? I was under the impression it did not, if im wrong though then that's awesome!
You're right, it doesn't. I must have wrongly shortened the effects of those rings to damage type+1 in my mind.

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 27, 2016, 08:24:28 AM »
Updated with the preview from Monday and Today. Enjoy!

Brian VanAlstyne

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 27, 2016, 08:33:03 AM »
Updated with the preview from Monday and Today. Enjoy!

Awesome. This has really started getting me more excited for the game after a couple weeks/months where I felt like I was losing interest.

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #70 on: May 27, 2016, 08:56:27 AM »
Naiya doesn't disappoint.  Slap [mwcard=MW1E20] Harmonize[/mwcard] on her and keep her "underwater" and she's channeling 3.  That's a 5 mana net "discount" when she casts Crumble on her opponent's equipment!
(Notice she doesn't have the common restriction of "quick" spells)

P.S.  When she casts Crumble, who gains the 2 mana?

P.P.S. I'm not sure where she's hiding that "coral dagger."  Her hair, maybe? Or perhaps those spikey fin-like protrusions near her ankles are daggers?

P.P.P.S.  Just realized she already has 4 spell types she can cast.  Hopefully we get more water Enchantments so it isn't quite so obvious that it's [mwcard=MWSTX2FFE07]Rust[/mwcard] that she just put face-down on that enemy creature.  And right now, her only tournament-legal Equipment she can cast is [mwcard=MW1Q08]Elemental Wand[/mwcard], but I'm sure we'll get a bunch more (including Leviathan Scale Armor) in this expansion.  In addition to the staple utility spells Dissolve/Crumble, she also has access to healing in [mwcard=DNI04]Renewing Rain[/mwcard] and [mwcard=MWBG1J04]Raincloud[/mwcard].  So... she can throw attack spells, a curse, some healing, strip equipment from enemy mages, cast some equipment on friendly mages, add corrodes (Acid Ball), remove burns (lots of ways)... and that's without knowing anything about Songs!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 09:10:05 AM by iNano78 »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 27, 2016, 09:08:25 AM »
Naiya doesn't disappoint.  Slap [mwcard=MW1E20] Harmonize[/mwcard] on her and keep her "underwater" and she's channeling 3.  That's a 5 mana net "discount" when she casts Crumble on her opponent's equipment!
(Notice she doesn't have the common restriction of "quick" spells)

P.P.S. I'm not sure where she's hiding that "coral dagger."  Her hair, maybe? Or perhaps those spikey fin-like protrusions near her ankles are daggers?

Your mage gains the mana.

Like any true lady, she's not saying where the Coral Dagger is.

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #72 on: May 27, 2016, 09:16:50 AM »

Your mage gains the mana.

So let's say she has Harmonize and is underwater, so the first round she's active (or after spending her mana on a previous turn) she has 3 mana on her.  You could have her cast Crumble, and it might as well say "Destroy an equipment costing 3 mana or less.  Your mage gains 2 mana." And suddenly you have more mana available to your mage than your opponent(s) expected you to have that round! 
Of course, it's generally better than that, because she could destroy a more expensive equipment if desired, or she could have more mana on her if she's been saving it from previous rounds... but the fact your mage could actually gain mana when she casts something, even the first round she's active, is pretty nifty!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 09:18:39 AM by iNano78 »

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 27, 2016, 11:27:51 AM »
Putting a Harmonize on her and keeping her within 1 zone (crumble) of the enemy mage...especially the Paladin...paints a Massive target on her.   I hope you've got a protection plan!

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 27, 2016, 11:41:22 AM »
Naiya is pretty solid I will admit. However she suffers from a lack of armor so yeah keeping her alive is a problem if the enemy decides she's more of a nuisance than she's worth. Few solid attacks and she's going down. However there's a number of ways to protect her of course.  Her value is obvious, whether your opponent decides to let it manifest is something else.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.