March 28, 2024, 02:38:29 PM

Author Topic: Is it the end of Mage Wars (as we know it)?  (Read 9870 times)

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
Re: Is it the end of Mage Wars (as we know it)?
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2017, 11:33:28 AM »
Apart from maybe promoting the game. I very much dislike promo cards, so I'm happy they didn't do it this year. :P

I think they are more supposed to hype you up for them coming out in future sets and get you thinking about how to use them. although sometimes they change from Promo to Print Version.  For example, [mwcard=MWBG1A04]Sandstorm[/mwcard] use to be a quick spell.

I don't like it because it generates 2 meta's and some promo's are out there for ages before they are in a set (IF they are ever in a set). There is only a very small group that can actually get their hands on the promo's (and I'm not one of them).
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2017, 11:37:46 AM »
I myself wish there were more incentive to play games online without promos so that it's easier to prepare for offline events.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Borg

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2017, 12:10:25 PM »
Apart from maybe promoting the game. I very much dislike promo cards, so I'm happy they didn't do it this year. :P

I think they are more supposed to hype you up for them coming out in future sets and get you thinking about how to use them. although sometimes they change from Promo to Print Version.  For example, [mwcard=MWBG1A04]Sandstorm[/mwcard] use to be a quick spell.

I don't like it because it generates 2 meta's and some promo's are out there for ages before they are in a set (IF they are ever in a set). There is only a very small group that can actually get their hands on the promo's (and I'm not one of them).

I agree with Halewijn.
I don't like promo's because it creates two different games while we should all be playing and exploring the same current game options.
I'm sure there are still so many different books to be discovered with the official cards and the "inner circle" has already moved beyond that and is already exploring the promo's possibilities.

The MW player base has been carved up already more than advisable imo ( Arena, Academy, Domination ) to carve up Arena as well in "have's" and "don't have's"

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2017, 01:00:40 PM »
I have one last argument why I don't like promo cards. I know the promo cards but I can't/won't play them. Later on, when they are released, I'm not excited for them anymore because I know the card already. even though it's a new card.   This happened with Ballista, messenger of Bim Shalla, temple high guard, ...
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2017, 01:42:38 PM »
I have one last argument why I don't like promo cards. I know the promo cards but I can't/won't play them. Later on, when they are released, I'm not excited for them anymore because I know the card already. even though it's a new card.   This happened with Ballista, messenger of Bim Shalla, temple high guard, ...

Getting off topic, but for our regularly scheduled organized play, I allow myself to include at most 1 copy of 1 promo in each of my books, and I'm fine with opponents using promos to a reasonable extent.  That said, if you're spamming a promo that's known to be really good, like 4x Ballista prior to it's errata/release, or to 4x Acid Blast, etc, then I might take some exception, but having 1 or 2 promos for flavour and/or variety is OK. Nobody's going to get upset if you played an Unstable Fire Imp or Eeker or a Screaming Zombie or a Blur or even a Sherean Leviathan or Victorian Griffin. And I may or may not choose to play my 1 copy depending (a) if a situation warrants it and (b) if my opponent is OK with it. If not, it's dead sbp's in my book, so it's to my disadvantage.

But yeah, Fire Elemental and Magma Golem may have actually lost their lustre since being printed in Lost Grimoire. If they hadn't been printed as promos, everybody would be going "WHOA!!!  LOOK AT THAT! AMAZING!!" but instead it's more like "Oh, they finally printed that in a set. Too bad the Wizard isn't trained in that school anymore, and that a similarly powered Demon is generally better for either of the Warlocks..."

That said, I'm tempted to try the Magma Golem as a buddy for the AT Warlord. It's only 6 sbp for a Warlord (e.g. level 2 Fire and level 2 Earth), same as it would have been for a Fire or Earth Wizard, and same as for a Warlock. :)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 01:45:22 PM by iNano78 »

V10lentray

• Member of Arcane Duels
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2017, 04:20:04 PM »

But yeah, Fire Elemental and Magma Golem may have actually lost their lustre since being printed in Lost Grimoire. If they hadn't been printed as promos, everybody would be going "WHOA!!!  LOOK AT THAT! AMAZING!!" but instead it's more like "Oh, they finally printed that in a set. Too bad the Wizard isn't trained in that school anymore, and that a similarly powered Demon is generally better for either of the Warlocks..."

I'm sure we'll be seeing more of the fire elemental in the future  8)
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2017, 08:01:52 PM »

I'm sure we'll be seeing more of the fire elemental in the future  8)

I've been wondering which mage works best for an all elemental build. Siren and Wizard only pay double spellbook points for the other elements.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin