March 28, 2024, 03:31:51 PM

Author Topic: The League of Extraordinary Mage Warriors  (Read 46277 times)

drmambo23

• Ambassador
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Re: The League of Extraordinary Mage Warriors
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2016, 07:11:00 AM »
In :)
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
https://www.instagram.com/pistillidesigns/
Instagram and Facebook - @pistillidesigns

SharkBait

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2016, 06:05:54 PM »
Alright, I need some input from everyone who wants to be involved.

I've come up with a few different formats, let me know what you think you'd rather do for Mage selection.

1. Completely open each week. The book you choose each week is unrestricted. You can use a single book as many times as desired or change books on a weekly basis if you wish.
2. Use 1 mage the whole time but have the ability to change the layout of the book you use each week.
3. Use 1 book the whole time with no changing week to week.

Once we get this nailed down and a participant list finalized, I'll start a challonge site for everyone to keep track of the standings.
  • Favourite Mage: Adramelech Warlock
When in doubt, kill it with fire

Brian VanAlstyne

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2016, 06:46:14 PM »
I would definitely prefer a whatever goes with regards to mage choice. I know I tweak books almost every time I log on to OCTGN based on previous games and I'd rather not get stuck with a book I know has a specific weak point that can be fixed. I'm just more of a fan of the casual game style which would allow each person to pick whatever mage/book they want given how they are feeling a certain day. Maybe once we get to a top 4/8/12 and the playoffs, then we start limiting to either a different mage each match or the same exact mage, but for the "regular season", I'd be a vote for anything goes.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2016, 07:15:00 PM »
I would definitely prefer a whatever goes with regards to mage choice. I know I tweak books almost every time I log on to OCTGN based on previous games and I'd rather not get stuck with a book I know has a specific weak point that can be fixed. I'm just more of a fan of the casual game style which would allow each person to pick whatever mage/book they want given how they are feeling a certain day. Maybe once we get to a top 4/8/12 and the playoffs, then we start limiting to either a different mage each match or the same exact mage, but for the "regular season", I'd be a vote for anything goes.

Seconded. Exactly what Vendetta said.
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Biblofilter

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2016, 08:19:13 PM »
I'm sure I would want to change at least a little something once in a while. So 3 in its current form - not a big fan.

Still it would be unfair if someone for example choose Warlock as their permanent mage and then everybody took multiple Dragonscale Hauberk, Elemental Cloak, Wall of Earth etc. - some of the other mages have pretty hard counters as well.

So no changing or allow changing mages also.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Töten". "Alles Töten".
Best strat advice ever

drmambo23

• Ambassador
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2016, 10:53:45 PM »
I prefer option 1 as well
https://www.instagram.com/pistillidesigns/
Instagram and Facebook - @pistillidesigns

SharkBait

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2016, 08:17:10 AM »
Well, it appears that option 1 is the winner. I think I'll extend signups until Friday night at 1159 Central US time (UTC - 5) at which point I'll get the Regular Season schedule going.

My current list of signups are:
1. Sharkbait
2. Coshade
3. Biblofilter
4. BigL16 (Maybe?)
5. DevilsVendetta
6. Sailor Vulcan
7. Kaarin
8. Drefan
9. Frozen
10. drmambo
11. reyda/ad_yer
12. Schwenkgott
13. Zot

I'm willing to accept more than 10 signups, but the above are who has shown interest so far.

Also, regarding scheduling: I'm thinking of just releasing 3 names at a time and giving everyone 3 weeks to get those matches in. This way, if someone has a rough week, they have a bit more scheduling flexibility. Does that sound good to everyone?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 05:53:41 AM by SharkBait »

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2016, 08:26:17 AM »
I'm sure I would want to change at least a little something once in a while. So 3 in its current form - not a big fan.

Still it would be unfair if someone for example choose Warlock as their permanent mage and then everybody took multiple Dragonscale Hauberk, Elemental Cloak, Wall of Earth etc. - some of the other mages have pretty hard counters as well.

So no changing or allow changing mages also.

How is not allowing players to change their Mage any different from if they were allowed? What matters isn't WHO plays a Mage, but rather which Mages are being played. If players A-D each pick a different Mage, and then player B switches mages  with player D, that would not alter the metagame.
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Ravepig

• Ambassador
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2016, 09:44:09 AM »
Once I have the time to figure out how OCTGN works, I would consider being included for future games. I'm probably not as computer savvy as most of you on here, so I got about as far as downloading and being able to watch a match, but that's it.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
No tree, it is said, can grow to heaven unless its roots reach down to hell. – Carl Jung

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2016, 09:52:15 AM »
Once I have the time to figure out how OCTGN works, I would consider being included for future games. I'm probably not as computer savvy as most of you on here, so I got about as far as downloading and being able to watch a match, but that's it.

Ditto.  I'm reasonably computer-savvy, but messing around on OCTGN for 30 minutes led me to recognize that if I were my own opponent, I'd be annoyed with how long it takes me to execute simple tasks - not to mention accidentally revealing cards that I'm trying to plan or enchantments I'm trying to cast face-down.  Besides, my limited gaming time is already tapped out with the little bit of live play I'm committed to; not sure if/when I'd have enough time to commit to organized play online.  Maybe one day.

SharkBait

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2016, 10:45:12 AM »

Ditto.  I'm reasonably computer-savvy, but messing around on OCTGN for 30 minutes led me to recognize that if I were my own opponent, I'd be annoyed with how long it takes me to execute simple tasks - not to mention accidentally revealing cards that I'm trying to plan or enchantments I'm trying to cast face-down.  Besides, my limited gaming time is already tapped out with the little bit of live play I'm committed to; not sure if/when I'd have enough time to commit to organized play online.  Maybe one day.

The good news is that if you do decide to play, the OCTGN community is ridiculously forgiving and generous for people not familiar with the interface. I haven't run into one person that wasn't willing to help their opponent learn how to go about navigating the interface. Once you practice a bit, I have noticed it becomes second nature.

However, I do understand the limited time sentiment, so this isn't meant as pressure to commit to the league. Just making the knowledge available. Spots are open should you decide you would like to participate. If this is successful enough, I hope to expand the league a bit for season 2

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2016, 03:04:27 PM »
   I would like to join too. If it is every 2-3 weeks that would work really well as I am also quite busy. I would need to reinstall octgn stuff on this pc and get familiar with the interface/play. It has been 1.5 years or more since I played on there last I think.

I like the idea of allowing people to pick different mages and update books between matches and allowing all cards would be very interesting. So, that includes promo cards that have not been formally released in a set? Things that have been printed and handed out, but not released would be available for the game?

I know May is usually a busy month for almost everyone stateside. Graduations, holidays, etc. I know I am booked all weekends in May already. Could it start beginning of June?

SharkBait

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2016, 12:21:02 PM »
Reminder to everyone, I'll accept signups until 2359 Central US time tonight. After that I'll get the league set up and the schedule set with the rules posted so everyone can get started playing.

As for allowable cards, I was going to go with the typical Thunderdome rules (promos allowed but any official releases supercede old rules. Ballista will also be war mage only)

BigL16

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2016, 12:56:28 PM »
Oh Great! If I can forfeit a game when I can't schedule a game that would work for me.  Count me in if there's still spots available!

iNano if you need some help with OCTGN I can give you some pointers at the next meetup or we can even setup some practice matches beforehand.  Let me know if you're interested.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2016, 01:36:44 PM »
Reminder to everyone, I'll accept signups until 2359 Central US time tonight. After that I'll get the league set up and the schedule set with the rules posted so everyone can get started playing.

As for allowable cards, I was going to go with the typical Thunderdome rules (promos allowed but any official releases supercede old rules. Ballista will also be war mage only)
And Unique?
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest