April 28, 2024, 10:47:34 AM

Author Topic: Community Card Construction - Making a level 4 Nightmare Creature  (Read 51483 times)

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
Re: Community Card Construction - Making a level 4 Nightmare Creature
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2015, 11:04:02 AM »
but the nightmare doesn't have to damage the sleeping creature!
it could stack counter on its target that would kill the target when there's 4 counters, that would make the target loose attack dice or attack bar, or life!
the target would remain asleep without a new condition.

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2015, 11:18:30 AM »
but the nightmare doesn't have to damage the sleeping creature!
it could stack counter on its target that would kill the target when there's 4 counters, that would make the target loose attack dice or attack bar, or life!
the target would remain asleep without a new condition.

This works too.

Another idea - how about making the Nightmare a familiar that is able to cast only Sleep Enchantments? This gives us another whole design space to expand the sleep world. :)
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2015, 12:26:07 PM »

Another idea - how about making the Nightmare a familiar that is able to cast only Sleep Enchantments? This gives us another whole design space to expand the sleep world. :)

we create a simple familiar creature, and then 50 sleep-incantations, -enchantements, -conjurations to developpe all our ideas!

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2015, 01:05:12 PM »
Broken Record - then the zombies/jellies/skellies laugh at the Nightmare as its Psychic attacks cant target them much less put them to sleep.

Don't get me wrong, I like a bunch of these ideas, and when the male FM goes into design we should really reference the ideas here.

However if we are going to build something useful now we should make sure that there is a very strong non-psychic based attack that matches up to the mind school and with a tint of darkness thrown in...like a ranged position attack and a force based melee attack. Now that would be a useful creature for the existing Forcemaster.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2015, 01:44:24 PM »
Just to be clear, what we make here will go into testing and could change further. But I want everyone to be as involved as they can in making this creature. I did start this process to fill some gap or plug some hole. I wanted to give you all a chance to help make a part of the game. That said this is your card, lets make it what you, as a community want.

I'm watching all the ideas floating around, and I'm thinkn' I might make a few of them this week to show you just what I'm thinkn' about.

Right now, I think it's clear that this creature should not be legendary. That's fair.

I'll leave you all back to Brainstorming. Remember right now we know he's a level 4 Mind and Dark creature. Have fun!

Kharhaz

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2015, 02:27:31 PM »
Shadow demon
mind level 2 & dark level 2
range 0 - 2
15 mana

Life -
Armor -
Melee -

Cantrip

When shadow demon enters play it gains Life, armor, and all trait and attack options attached to a creature in its zone. Shadow demon cannot have enchantments attached to it.

"My greatest challenge was to overcome myself." - Akiro

Phillus

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2015, 07:05:28 PM »
I wanted to make it a dragon because dragons...

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2015, 09:17:25 PM »
Is it worth trying to put both ideas together?  Have a Knight-mare creature?  Give it an attack that inflicts sleep as well as an attack that pushes or that does extra damage to unmovable creatures?
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2015, 12:28:18 AM »
Is it worth trying to put both ideas together?  Have a Knight-mare creature?  Give it an attack that inflicts sleep as well as an attack that pushes or that does extra damage to unmovable creatures?
i think it's not good for the game to give fm a creature that erases all her weaknesses!

Gogolski

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2015, 08:32:51 PM »
Nightmare
Lv3 mind + Lv1 dark
Ethereal
Cost: 10 mana
6 Life
0 armor
1 channeling
Legendary
Cantrip
Upkeep 3
As a move action it can teleport to a zone with a sleeping creature.
Pay one mana to move to a zone without a sleeping creature
Can cast sleep as a quick action
Can cast mass sleep as a full action (enemy and friendly creatures)
Can stack sleep tokens (remove 1 per attack on a sleeping creature)
Each upkeep phase every sleeping creature within 1 zone from nightmare takes 1 direct damage for each sleep token it has, then heal nightmare te same amount.

I would like realy him to be able to stack sleep tokens...
I would realy like him to have the cantrip trait too. (Maybe the mage who casts him gets the dazed condition?)

Another idea is giving nightmare growth markers for each sleeping creature within 1 zone. (Teleport anyone?)
Give him no channeling but give him a zero dice attack with a chance to put the attacked creature to sleep. Every growth marker adds a die to the attack and adds 1 to the effect die so he starts doing damage and beats creatures unconcious while feasting on their bad dreams.
If he damages a sleeping creature, remove a sleepmarker as usual, but the effect die may add it again in the same attack.

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2015, 12:31:02 AM »
Nightmare
Lv3 mind + Lv1 dark
Ethereal
Cost: 10 mana
6 Life
0 armor
1 channeling
Legendary
Cantrip
Upkeep 3
As a move action it can teleport to a zone with a sleeping creature.
Pay one mana to move to a zone without a sleeping creature
Can cast sleep as a quick action
Can cast mass sleep as a full action (enemy and friendly creatures)
Can stack sleep tokens (remove 1 per attack on a sleeping creature)
Each upkeep phase every sleeping creature within 1 zone from nightmare takes 1 direct damage for each sleep token it has, then heal nightmare te same amount.

I would like realy him to be able to stack sleep tokens...
I would realy like him to have the cantrip trait too. (Maybe the mage who casts him gets the dazed condition?)

Another idea is giving nightmare growth markers for each sleeping creature within 1 zone. (Teleport anyone?)
Give him no channeling but give him a zero dice attack with a chance to put the attacked creature to sleep. Every growth marker adds a die to the attack and adds 1 to the effect die so he starts doing damage and beats creatures unconcious while feasting on their bad dreams.
If he damages a sleeping creature, remove a sleepmarker as usual, but the effect die may add it again in the same attack.

cool!

Moonglow

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2015, 12:47:12 PM »
I was going to say the nightmare felt too fragile - one decent lightening anything and its gone, but then realised its a cantrip and it doesn't matter! genius! It has a high mana overhead to keep going and you wouldn't be popping it out every turn if the opponent was successfully blasting it....

I like the first model better than the beating them unconscious element, sleep with a slight vampiric element seems more thematic.

I still agree with the whole psychic gap against an undead swarm problem...this is a cool card, but wouldn't help that vulnerability at all.  Could you add a pillar of dark attack that is 1 dice per sleeping creating within 1 zone?  So you could even sleep your own creatures to build a lethal dark based attack useful against a swarm.  It would need decent investment to make it work, but would have a lot of versatility.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 12:50:08 PM by Moonglow »

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2015, 05:37:55 PM »
I was going to say the nightmare felt too fragile - one decent lightening anything and its gone, but then realised its a cantrip and it doesn't matter! genius! It has a high mana overhead to keep going and you wouldn't be popping it out every turn if the opponent was successfully blasting it....

I like the first model better than the beating them unconscious element, sleep with a slight vampiric element seems more thematic.

I still agree with the whole psychic gap against an undead swarm problem...this is a cool card, but wouldn't help that vulnerability at all.  Could you add a pillar of dark attack that is 1 dice per sleeping creating within 1 zone?  So you could even sleep your own creatures to build a lethal dark based attack useful against a swarm.  It would need decent investment to make it work, but would have a lot of versatility.

But why would a dark undead creature have nightmares? I don't think we need to design this specific creature to solve the psychic gap. It doesn't feel like a nightmare should counter a psychic immunity creature.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2015, 09:38:37 PM »
But why would a dark undead creature have nightmares? I don't think we need to design this specific creature to solve the psychic gap. It doesn't feel like a nightmare should counter a psychic immunity creature.

Yep I totally agree, I was angling for Mind + Dark, with the Mind component not on the Psychic side but on the Force side. My thoughts when this was brought up, was that this was the perfect chance to cover the gap you speak of. Nightmares will not do that in Etheria but would do it well in Xanth. Psychic Immunity is a major gap for the FM and this was going to be the chance to cover it, as we have no clue of when the male FM will fit in to the release schedule. Oh, well.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

SharkBait

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2015, 09:55:26 PM »
What about a tough force creature in the same vein as the dredge from Titan AE (made of energy, etc.)

• Favourite Mage: Adramelech Warlock
When in doubt, kill it with fire