April 28, 2024, 01:12:55 AM

Author Topic: Community Card Construction - Making a level 4 Nightmare Creature  (Read 51481 times)

Ganpot

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Community Card Construction - Making a level 4 Nightmare Creature
« Reply #135 on: November 04, 2015, 12:49:10 AM »
I really love the proposed implementation of the Force Nightmare (could probably use a better name though).  It is thoroughly unique, seems very useful in certain situations (need to deal lots of damage quickly and don't care about long-term consequences), and isn't actually weak to ethereal attacks (you can only deal 1 damage to it each turn, so ethereal is overkill).  It manages to be both frightening and balanced (at least conceptually): the enemy absolutely needs to deal with it or it is going to wreak havoc, but if the enemy can outlast it then he/she will have the advantage. 

I'm not sold on the Nightmare Eater.  The idea is fine, but having the sleep roll be a separate attack, need a 9+ (making it unlikely to land most of the time), and having +2 upkeep seems like overkill.  That's going to end up making the creature rather ineffective, because it's going to have to waste 1-3 turns (on average) and 2-6 mana just to set up for a single powerful attack (which an opponent can prevent by merely attacking whatever you just put to sleep).  It would be a lot more attractive if the sleep roll was combined with the attack, and only needed a 7+ (putting the odds at 50/50).  That would certainly justify the +2 upkeep. 

Nightmare Knight (Knightmare) is interesting.  I like the idea of perpetual daze.  However, wouldn't it be more thematic for the Knightmare to regain health when daze counters are not removed (as in, its ability is working) as opposed to when its ability fails?  Or are you worried that would make the creature too swingy (either you are getting lucky and near invincible or you get unlucky and die immediately)?  I know you said you haven't properly balanced these ideas, but you might need to buff it up a bit as well (and/or lower the upkeep cost).  A Whirling Spirit, while lacking the daze functionality, possesses both significantly more health and a better attack than the Knightmare does (plus only has an upkeep of 1).  I also think there's not enough incentive to play more than one of these at a time.  If the Knightmare is supposed to be a solid mid-tier Mind/Dark creature (like the knights of other schools), then it should be designed in such a way as to encourage (or at least not discourage) players to summon more than 1 at a time.  The passive ability of preventing the removal of daze tokens is the creature's best trait, and it makes no difference whether there are 1 or 4 of them in a zone. 

All in all, some very interesting ideas.  I look forward to seeing what creature ends up being the winner. 

I like all the creatures, but I don't quite see the connection to the ideas posted - laddin, do you want to talk to your inspiration/concept development a little?
I have the same feeling, these are interesting but but seems new ideas...
I see some resemblance to past suggestions, but Laddinfance has clearly also modified and put new spins on them.  I actually like that (it interests me to see different points of view on existing ideas), but I can understand if you feel differently.  In general, when submitting ideas for things it is rare for those ideas to remain completely unchanged. 

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 04, 2015, 08:02:01 AM »
I like all the creatures, but I don't quite see the connection to the ideas posted - laddin, do you want to talk to your inspiration/concept development a little?
I have the same feeling, these are interesting but but seems new ideas...

The one labeled "Aaron" is absolutely a new idea. Just had an interesting twist I thought might work here. The other two are a bit of my take on the two core concepts mentioned early on. I was trying to do something interesting and thematic with them. Basically, I took the concept and I tried to put it together as I would.  I've been trying to let the community drive this card as much as I can, but now we're to the part where my experience is key, so I thought I'd put a few of my thoughts / twist on these guys. I'm going to try and make a couple more of the concepts/revisit today. We'll see how that goes.

Rinc

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 05, 2015, 08:04:18 AM »
My 2 cents.

Force nightmare - Would be nice with more life. If we get a way to make a creature lose life, this creature shouldn´t die immediately. The design is very clean though, and it works against non-living resilient ;)
Nightmare eater - The idea of making two things at once (wolf spider) is okay, but very hard to balance correctly.
Nightmare knight - This is an okay card. I would rather see it make damage to other non-living creatures when daze is removed, instead of healing itself, but that is a design decision. One thing that I wonder is which part of this design is force?

fas723

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 11, 2015, 12:45:18 AM »
Are we loosing momentum?

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 11, 2015, 12:55:03 AM »
Last one for today. I made a concept of the force knight. He's meant to make those around him weaker, and he feeds off their weakness. That's what the daze mechanic is meant to do. I'll be back tomorrow with some of the other ideas. Feel free to discuss. if you feel that these ideas are way off base just let me know, this is meant to represent what you all want.
Looking at the card what is Dark about it? Other than its name? Dipping into the Dark school, I would think Rot, Weak and Vampiric (non-living so no), not Daze (that's more of a Light thing). If I were looking at this I would think: Weak. Though Daze could be Thematic too, but its not really "Dark".
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 11, 2015, 08:19:06 AM »
Last one for today. I made a concept of the force knight. He's meant to make those around him weaker, and he feeds off their weakness. That's what the daze mechanic is meant to do. I'll be back tomorrow with some of the other ideas. Feel free to discuss. if you feel that these ideas are way off base just let me know, this is meant to represent what you all want.
Looking at the card what is Dark about it? Other than its name? Dipping into the Dark school, I would think Rot, Weak and Vampiric (non-living so no), not Daze (that's more of a Light thing). If I were looking at this I would think: Weak. Though Daze could be Thematic too, but its not really "Dark".

We were trying to avoid Psychic conditions and such, I figured along a similar vein we should avoid poison conditions. He still needs work, but right now I'm not sure what exactly to do with him.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 11, 2015, 10:12:35 AM »
I have the same feeling about the other two cards that you whipped up too. I always pictured some Dark condition as the Dark School component. Most of those are targeted to living though but I am fine with that. The attack itself would still work against the non-living and the Dark would be a buff against the Living.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Kharhaz

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 11, 2015, 10:18:45 AM »
Of all the conditions taint / rot and vamp I would say are the most darkish.

None of which work vs non living targets

which is why if it was a demon or other dark subtype that can be worked in and allow more flexibility on the mind aspect for the meat of the effects

Gogolski

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 11, 2015, 11:36:44 AM »
We were trying to avoid Psychic conditions and such, I figured along a similar vein we should avoid poison conditions. He still needs work, but right now I'm not sure what exactly to do with him.

Stagger.

If the nightmare attacks a creature, add as many staggertokens (hurray! They stack!) as there are sleeping creatures in the arena. The nightmare then essentially feeds on the sleeping creatures (enemy and friendly) and channels that energy into attacks that can also affect nonliving or psychic-immune creatures...

Just another idea...
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 12:37:34 PM by Gogolski »

KaneKalos

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 11, 2015, 11:50:39 AM »
Laddinfance,

Maybe we could get an update where you are currently with all of these ideas? I think it would benefit everyone to keep the discussion a bit more focused and to know your ideas to go off of since you have a bigger role in its creation. And for those newer to the forum (such as myself) it gives us a place to start instead of looking back through the ten page thread. Lol.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
Heitai-san wa yukande; itsudemo kimi no soba ni iru.

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 11, 2015, 12:05:48 PM »
That is a great idea. Right now I've just had a couple of things kick into high gear, but I will make some time this week to get everything caught up. on this thread.

fas723

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 19, 2015, 03:35:40 AM »
Is it possible to get some kind of forecast when there will be anything new activity with this?

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #147 on: November 19, 2015, 06:13:00 AM »
Is it possible to get some kind of forecast when there will be anything new activity with this?

The Dark, Mind mage works in mysterious ways. Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha ... (hearing Vincent Price laughter)
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 19, 2015, 07:51:49 AM »
I'm at Bgg Con right now. Once I'm home we'll be moving on this more.