April 28, 2024, 06:46:10 AM

Author Topic: Community Card Construction - Making a level 4 Nightmare Creature  (Read 51482 times)

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Sorry for the delay everyone. I swear I hadn't forgotten about you. Our last poll showed that we wanted a level 4 nightmare creature. This gives us a ton of options, but the first question is do we want this creature to be Legendary or not?

Next, looking at "Nightmare Creature" there are tons of options in front of us. First there is the creature who feeds on dreams. This would be like a kick ass version of haunter from pokemon. It puts you to sleep and then feeds on you without breaking the condition. Then, there is the "Phantom Force Nightmare". This one could be like a poltergeist or some form of intangible force knight with a horrifying presence.  And I'm sure you guys have ideas for this as well. We're close. After this step I'll build some playtest cards for us to see just what we've come up with.

SharkBait

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
Re: Community Card Construction - Making a level 4 Nightmare Creature
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 10:02:30 AM »

I'm a fan of the Haunter on steroids idea, but I also kinda like this direction ^
  • Favourite Mage: Adramelech Warlock
When in doubt, kill it with fire

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 10:08:11 AM »
I was wondering if someone was going to literally go "Nightmare". I'm not opposed to it.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 10:54:56 AM »
The Pokemon you're thinking of is Drowzee, not haunter. Haunter can learn Dream Eater and Hypnosis but that's not what it's famous for nor what it's pokedex entry says.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2015, 10:56:55 AM »
No, I was thinkn' of Haunter, but that's just because of the misinformation of the Original base set of the Pokemon Card game. Also, he fits the motif we're going for better than Drowzee or Hypnos.

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2015, 12:00:29 PM »
still for the put to sleep + attack on sleeping creatures!
i'm not in the pokemon enough to say if it's a haunter or a drowzee, but in MW it would be a giant wolf spider-like.

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2015, 12:03:10 PM »
The point of Drowzee/Haunter (more specifically the Dream Eater attack) was that it didn't wake you up if you were asleep. So yes, it would be like the Giant Wolf Spider, except when it attacks a sleeping creature with it's "Dream Eater" then it wouldn't break the sleep.

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2015, 12:47:50 PM »
The point of Drowzee/Haunter (more specifically the Dream Eater attack) was that it didn't wake you up if you were asleep. So yes, it would be like the Giant Wolf Spider, except when it attacks a sleeping creature with it's "Dream Eater" then it wouldn't break the sleep.

i'm not against the idea (for exemple if our creature would seem to be too powerfull) to have an escape-awakening roll at the end of the dream-attack.

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2015, 12:50:42 PM »
Currently they are plenty of Psychic Immune creatures who wouldn't go to sleep. Also there isn't a way to make a Mage sleep right now. So, I don't think there is too much to worry about, yet. That said there is a lot of designing to do so there is plenty of time to look at balance. We're just talking concepts right now.

fas723

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2015, 02:07:15 PM »
As I suggested in a previous topic it would be really good for the discussion and understanding if people could add a link with a picture as an example together with the description to describe their Nightmare.

fas723

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2015, 02:18:07 PM »
I would still like to see a dark nimble knight / death dancer who puts fear into opposing creature by its attacks. Like removing guards, or making them flee. Here's a example picture.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/f8/40/18/f840183c370378c74a3f5a0184106234.jpg

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2015, 02:19:46 PM »
I assume the Force Knight looks something like this...

Then the dream eater I think looks like this...

Can't find a good picture of a more "serious" version.

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2015, 02:37:38 PM »
http://41.media.tumblr.com/39b436ba881cea1db063de36168e2a24/tumblr_ntxqdooXmO1s6oyi0o1_1280.jpg

right now, i will probably be happy with any outcome. Lvl 4 nightmare mind creature is all i wanted :)
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2015, 05:49:47 PM »
I've always been a fan of the "am I awake or am I dreaming" sort of nightmare.

Quote from: Zhuangzi
Once upon a time, I, Chuang Chou, dreamt I was a butterfly, fluttering hither and thither, to all intents and purposes a butterfly. I was conscious only of my happiness as a butterfly, unaware that I was Chou. Soon I awaked, and there I was, veritably myself again. Now I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man. Between a man and a butterfly there is necessarily a distinction. The transition is called the transformation of material things.

Only at the end the butterfly is a tear in the fabric of reality and it has fangs. Oh! The fangs!
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2015, 06:11:37 PM »
Then all of the Psychic Immunity Creatures come in to play and you the realize that the nightmare is on you for having such a useless creature in play and start thinking I will just go back to the Grizzly for the FM as he is just so much better.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest