April 29, 2024, 01:39:05 PM

Author Topic: Community Card Construction - Making a level 4 Nightmare Creature  (Read 51489 times)

Beldin

• The Craziest
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Community Card Construction - Making a level 4 Nightmare Creature
« Reply #120 on: November 02, 2015, 02:01:28 PM »
Last one for today. I made a concept of the force knight. He's meant to make those around him weaker, and he feeds off their weakness. That's what the daze mechanic is meant to do. I'll be back tomorrow with some of the other ideas. Feel free to discuss. if you feel that these ideas are way off base just let me know, this is meant to represent what you all want.

To tidy up the text of Nightmare Knight:

"All creatures in the same zone as [Name], with Daze condition markers upon them, may not remove any Daze condition markers after acting, unless they hit name.

When a Daze counter is removed from a creature in the same zone as [Name], [Name] may Reconstruct 2 damage."

Also change the subtype to soldier. This then gives the war mages more creatures and is consistent with Brogan and the Knight of Westlock.

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 02, 2015, 02:30:23 PM »
Change to soldier or add soldier? Adding the soldier would be consistent with Brogan and the Knight of Westlock.

fas723

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 02, 2015, 04:40:48 PM »
Nice to finally see some samples of our ideas! Keep'em coming.

My favorite so far is defenatly the Aaron-knight. It is a cool ability that you can attack it to reduce the time it is in play. One MAJOR drawbacks is that once again the wizard comes out with the upper hand with its zap since it is ethereal. Maybe that could be changed some how...

The knightmare is nice too. But upkeep creature doesn't appeal to my that much. It also need a AOE daze attack to be effective. The ability is really innovative though. Agree to soldier.

The eater is just...sorry...boring.. The sleep attack must have a much lower number to be useful. Would be more fun I think if there was a mana cost to sleep rather than the upkeep and low hit rate.
Idea could be to use like 4 attack dies to determine X+ for the sleep effect each time.

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 02, 2015, 05:14:12 PM »
If a creature is incorporeal, with few exception, then it has Upkeep. It's mostly a function of the creature being incorporeal.

KaneKalos

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 02, 2015, 06:10:09 PM »
First off, I haven't read the entire post, so I'm sorry if this has already been touched on, but would it be possible to make the "dream eater" nightmare have the ability to cast the spell Sleep exactly as the rules would apply on the card itself, rather than the normal "this creature can cast (school of magic) spells"? This creature would probably be a familiar and generate its own mana. It would also have a full action arena attack where every sleeping creature in the arena takes two direct damage? Or maybe higher level creature would take 1 die of damage, so at the worst roll it would be the same damage, but also a chance to not take damage as well. Haven't thought of balance entirely, but just an idea.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
Heitai-san wa yukande; itsudemo kimi no soba ni iru.

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #125 on: November 02, 2015, 09:47:57 PM »
Nightmare Eater

Wow this creature is ridiculous! A ranged 0-1 quick attack that has a 9+ sleep. This card would be really cool to pull out on a solo mage. Imagine putting the opponent mage to sleep and you have some good time to build up after that. Even if they get out of the sleep, you could just keep trying to whisper "sleep more" with the sweet dreams move. I think it would be funny for warlocks to consider exploding their own equipment to wake up :D I know it's not balanced right now but dang this is pretty crazy!

One question - Did we want this creature to not wake up the creature if it attacks it with it's dream eater move?

« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 10:00:42 PM by Coshade »
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #126 on: November 02, 2015, 09:52:13 PM »
Force Nightmare

Man this creature is really unique. 5 dice critical damage unavoidable is insane! He's temporary with the dissipate, but you can get some serious damage out. It gives him a fun unique flair. I know it's not balanced yet mana wise, and no upkeep cost, but a fast high damage creature seems very mind school. I would love for the forcemaster to restore dissipate tokens kind of similar to [mwcard=MWBG1W01]Wall of Force[/mwcard] if possible. This creature begs to be attacked, which is exactly what you want when you have incorporeal.

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #127 on: November 02, 2015, 09:57:38 PM »
Nightmare Knight

It's ok, we can always change the name :P This creature seems very knightish with its attack dice, and very mind with it's daze chance. I like that he feels like he will protect things in his zone. The ability for a daze to stick longer is really interesting. This buffs holy and lightning attack spells. Right now those spells seem less used, and this card would give a fun buff.
If you daze a mage and it doesn't go away after the action phase, they may question using an attack spell with the quick cast. Or if you force a creature to move out of the nightmare knight's zone to get rid of the daze, the ability might as well have been "cause creature to lose an action on the knight's 4 dice 5+ daze attack). Granted there are ways around it, but that usually takes mages actions :D

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #128 on: November 02, 2015, 10:56:59 PM »
Some thought.

Nightmare - Aaron:
Love the idea to use Dissipate as HP. I think its attack should not be psychic since it is a Force creature. Psychic attack make it very bad if the opponent is guarded by a Nonliving, since the attack is not ranged.

Nightmare Knight:
I love Knightmare as a name :) I would definitely make this a Soldier to allow War Mages to have something cool if they want to pay the 8 SBP cost.

Nightmare Eater:
It is really weak imo. Even if you are really lucky with the yellow die, you will deal 5 dice every 2 attacks. This average 2.5 dice per attack, for a 14 mana creature with an upkeep of 2. Its attack either need to not break sleep or to be way more powerful against sleeping creatures. Also, its attack is total garbage against a Mage.

I would make the attack bar:
Quick, Melee, 0 red dice, yellow dice 4-11: Tainted 12: 2 Tainted    Ethereal, Unavoidable, No Damage, +3 vs Sleeping.

That way it doesn't break sleep and it is useful against Mages except Necromancer, which is ok, since it would be unfair to have a creature that you can't defend against because none of your creatures can see it.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 11:05:58 PM by Wildhorn »

Beldin

• The Craziest
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 03, 2015, 01:52:58 PM »
Change to soldier or add soldier? Adding the soldier would be consistent with Brogan and the Knight of Westlock.

Sorry I do not have the cards in front me, I would keep subtypes consistent and add any new ones as needed.

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 03, 2015, 02:10:37 PM »
Its very rare you want to both spend an action on sleeping a creature and then afterwards spend more actions damaging it.
Its a weird boardcontrol strategy i doubt it will ever be worth to pursue except in very rare cases.

Right now its already painful enough to awake a sleeping creature. In fact it can be so difficult that i have lost several games because of it.
(Thoughtspore with sleep - oh i hate you.)

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 03, 2015, 02:30:15 PM »
I believe the nightmare's attack would not wake up the creature?

I like the dissipation for life a lot but 9 seems too much. Essentially, you need exactly 9 attacks on it, which is a lot.  :) Maybe 5?

I like them all, and don't really mind the upkeep cost for the forcemaster.

What is the nightmare part of the knight and the force nightmare?
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 03, 2015, 02:33:26 PM »
I like the dissipation for life a lot but 9 seems too much. Essentially, you need exactly 9 attacks on it, which is a lot.  :) Maybe 5?

It still has dissipate, so it would naturally lose a counter each round as well. That is why it has 9 counters.

Moonglow

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 04, 2015, 12:05:38 AM »
I like all the creatures, but I don't quite see the connection to the ideas posted - laddin, do you want to talk to your inspiration/concept development a little?

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 04, 2015, 12:38:35 AM »
I like all the creatures, but I don't quite see the connection to the ideas posted - laddin, do you want to talk to your inspiration/concept development a little?
I have the same feeling, these are interesting but but seems new ideas...