April 29, 2024, 04:50:05 AM

Author Topic: What's your first mage going to be?  (Read 13628 times)

Dragkin

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
What's your first mage going to be?
« on: August 04, 2012, 07:40:55 AM »
So, its day 1. You've just cracked open the box, took in the beauty that's inside. Isn't new game smell so great? Anyway, you reach into the box and start to make your very first game - what mage will you be?  I think I would probably chose Warlock. Why? Because, as I am learning the game mechanics and such I think a more straight forward, in your face style would work better than the others. And - fire's pretty darn cool.

What about you guys? Let's put some life in this place!:)

C0ntAct HiGh

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: What's your first mage going to be?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 08:47:55 AM »
Well I already know that my son Nevin is going to be the beastmaster.  He is already pumped up for idea of summoning hordes of forest creatures.  Me tho, will probably have to go to the wizard.  I like the idea of the subtle tricks the wizard can play on the battlefield to mess with my opponents plans.  (Even tho my son will find some way to turn it against me! :cheer: )
\"Guilt resembles a sword with two edges.  On one hand it cuts for justice, imposing practical morality upon those who fear it. But there is another side to that weighted emotion.  Conscience does not always adhere to rational judgement.  Guilt is always a self-imposed burden, not always rightly imposed\" --Drizzt Do\'Urden

Klaxas

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 10:58:38 AM »
for me it will also be the wizard.  although my pool of choices was smaller as my girlflriend wants the beastmaster and one of my friends wants the warlock, thats ok though the mage im really hyped about is the forcemaster who wont be out for a while.
Favorite Mage: The one I am using.

Borg

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 11:14:11 AM »
Looking forward to play all four but eventually will wind up with the Priestess as the Mage-to-beat I guess.
Being able to heal, defend and outlast the opponent is a strategy I'm comfortable with.
This strategy gives the added advantage that you can react to what your opponent is playing and maybe get more "efficiency" out of your spells.
We'll see ...

C0ntAct HiGh

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 02:20:02 PM »
As the wizard I am really hoping there is a way to reflect curative magic from my opponents creatures to my own
\"Guilt resembles a sword with two edges.  On one hand it cuts for justice, imposing practical morality upon those who fear it. But there is another side to that weighted emotion.  Conscience does not always adhere to rational judgement.  Guilt is always a self-imposed burden, not always rightly imposed\" --Drizzt Do\'Urden

Arcanus

• Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012, 02:49:32 PM »
With Steal Enchantment you can move an opponents enchantment to your Mage.  For example, steal a Regrowth spell (an enchantment that lets you regenerate 2 damage each round).

C0ntAct HiGh

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2012, 04:02:51 PM »
That's awesome!  I love the balance and how quickly the tide can change for either mage.

Dragkin

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2012, 05:23:02 PM »
That really is great. I hate it when a game lacks surprise factors so that you could tell who will win early on. I have played matches in Magic where, since I knew what my opponents deck was and what my deck was, I could tell you who would win within the first couple of plays.

With this game, though, with all of its nasty tricks and possibility for attacks not working - it makes the game much less easy to see who will win. It makes for a much more exciting game.

Hekireky

• Playtester
  • Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2012, 06:02:10 PM »
First of all, I am very hyped for the game to come out already in EU.

Once I crack open the box and sort through its contents, I think I will stick for the first match with a Warlock, letting my girlfriend pick a Wizard, even though I would have chosen him as a second choice once I got to know the spells better, but now I am just here to decide on the theme and the theme is darkness :)!

I was always interested on how every single board game or video game defines a warlock, hope this won't disappoint me, because summoning demons, drawing pentagrams on the floor,wielding flamy stuff and shooting curses at people is really a stereotypical choice :) For instance I hope I will find a card that will define a pact between a demon and a mage, that connects them both to conquer or be beheaded by the opponent or create a complex curse, that will hinder you and your enemies, however the latter suffering the consequences in so many indefferent ways more.

I just hope I don't lose to my girlfriend all the time, because the first choice is always the most important for me and if she is going to become good with a mage, then I hope the necromancer will save me :)

Dragkin

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2012, 06:07:50 PM »
Hehe, its funny that you mention drawing pentagrams. When I saw the card with a pentagram on it, I was thinking - 'Oh my, this will go well with some conservative moms'. I remember being at my LGS one day and a mom going crazy at the seller for selling her 13 year old son a booster pack of Magic, it was kinda funny.

Nikoli Ranvier

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2012, 10:08:57 AM »
I will be using the Priestess due to her style and stability. She has the best grip on every battle being able to heal, negate, and prevent damage to keep the game moving in your favor. She is my favorite by far and the Royal Archers are just my favorite way to oversee every duel.

Arcanus

• Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2012, 10:56:12 AM »
Hekireky, We have some great Curses in the game for the Warlock to choose from.  

You mentioned a pact with a demon: The Warlocks innate ability is called"Bloodreaper", which allows him to bind himself to a demon on the board.  That demon becomes more powerful and bloodthirsty, and the Warlock heals damage each time it attacks (kind of like life stealing).  However, in order to bind the demon he must first lose life up front as part of the pact.  

Sounds like you have some interesting ideas - we'd love to hear about the Curses YOU want to see.

Mage Warrior

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2012, 10:57:03 PM »
I am definitely going to try out the Warlock first - reading the details on the Warlock, it seems like it will be very interesting. I will eventually try all four of the initial mages when my local retailer gets the Mage Wars game stocked - looking sooo forward to this game!!!   :cheer:
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

Dragkin

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2012, 01:27:29 AM »
Game on first Warlock brother. Game on.

Mestrahd

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2012, 12:57:11 PM »
I've been most excited about the Wizard. I can't put my finger on it, but denial seems like a strong strategy. Priestess would be my second choice, but the one I'm really waiting for is the Necromancer that they've announced. If given the choice in any game, I'll always go with the Necromancer.