April 29, 2024, 03:31:36 AM

Author Topic: What's your first mage going to be?  (Read 13627 times)

Klaxas

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: What's your first mage going to be?
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2012, 01:40:49 PM »
i agree.  id also like to get my hands on the force master
Favorite Mage: The one I am using.

Hekireky

• Playtester
  • Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2012, 02:44:33 PM »
Indeed, I would always pick a necromancer first too.

Arcanus,

I like to think of curses as something, that is not there to hinder you physically all the time( I don't disagree to remove it either, it is just that there are so many times that a game repeats it over and over again and there is almost nothing new entirely, that it has gained popularity and acceptance of the community of players.) but to actually make you say "Sh*t, now I am cursed" and think of how miserable your game has just become. Warlocks inflict despair, pain, horror , so taking this kind of feeling and presenting it towards the player who plays it against is the supreme purpose for me, that should be achieved. An example curse I would like to see is:

Adramelechs Pride

Fullcast, Range 1-2, 16 mana, Dark Magic School

Target hostile creature(can also be the opponent's mage) is inflicted with a curse. If this creature moves less zones than the other of the friendly creatures combined zones that they move at the end of this Action Stage, then at the end of the Action Stage an effect die is rolled by the caster, which effects are: 1-4 Cripple, 5-10 Cripple,Rot, 11+ x3 Rot.

What this means, by moving this creature and after him an another one of your friendly creatures - you are fine.Sure you could move the cursed creature two zones and buy time, but you would lose a valuable spell or action he could do in case of trying to avoid the curse. However, if you would move afterwards one more friendly creature, you will face horrible consequences. This could be a complete game-breaker for the beastmaster, as he likes to summon more creatures than himself AND to target him with this curse, would be extremely unpleasant. I am not sure if there are cards that could Cleanse from status effects (Should be), but they could really help against it. I mean, this is really a matter of balancing. Shutting down mobility, is a grudge, because by being less mobile than the others you are greeted by a curse.

I am running out of time here, maybe later or maybe even in a different section of the forum I should post this stuff :)

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2012, 06:23:03 PM »
I have played them all and they are extremely customizable and versatile. Remember Just because your a priestess does not mean you can not set stuff on fire. Of the base 4 mages none of them is my favorite. I would most like make a Wizard book just because it can choose what elemental school he belongs to.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Skunkstrype

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2012, 06:53:25 PM »
I would probably choose a Necromancer as well. Having said that however, the Warlord looks interesting as well.

Ayumi

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2012, 05:43:54 AM »
Priestess has much appeal for curative powers and ability to outlast.  My strategy is always outplan, outwit, and outlast.

Of course, the aspect of the game that I really appreciate is the element of surprise in choosing spell cards.  Outside of school cards may cost a bit of mana, but the joy of blasting somebody from behind with an unexpected spell attack from their OWN SCHOOL is simply diabolical fun. >;0  Great design element, that!

Can't wait to get my copy!

SpellSlinger

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2012, 06:25:22 PM »
I think I'll be going with The Wizard once I get into the game more.

I've been able to play a full game as the Warlock (I chose him simply because I love Fire Magic) and while it was fun, The Wizard allows me to cast all the fire spells without all the evil demony stuff!

Also, I think The Wizard's expertise in mana denial is going to be quite powerful if played correctly.
“A wise man once wrote: Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger. Tolkien had that one mostly right.

I stepped forward, let the door bang closed, and snarled, \"F*** subtle.”

wolf88

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2012, 04:11:00 AM »
Probably i'll play a manaengine wizard and an equip heavy 9 or 10 dice melee warlock... after that a priestess! not much love for the beastmaster!

kamishev

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2012, 05:30:43 AM »
I think my first choice will be mana burning/control/heavy creature Wizard. And then may be some strange Priestess build with focus on damage/healing.

Can`t wait for the game!

Klaxas

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2012, 07:20:51 AM »
@Ayumi actually out of school cards cost more spellbook points but once they are in your spellbook they work exactly the same for everyone, cost the same mana etc

Scarob

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2012, 09:59:51 AM »
I've always liked the idea of a fire or earth mage, however a healy warlock, or a damage priestess intrigues me hehehe, or maybe a beastmaster of wall summoning........ il have to se how the game works best for me once i get my copy

Klaxas

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2012, 12:30:57 AM »
there are ways to do a fairly agressive priestess build.  not sure about the healy warlock.

as for the beastmaster wall deck i was actually thinking of doing this.  get 6 wall of thorns, and tons of level 1 creatures.  the wall of thorns attacks any creature that moves through it with 1 (2 attack die) attack per level of the creature -1.  so a level six creature (like a mage) gets 5 (2 die) attacks, and level 1 creatures get 0 attacks against them.

so i throw up tons of walls and summon 2 or 3 bitterwood foxes and/or fearal bobcats every turn they can walk through the walls all the want.

bowlkart

« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2012, 12:41:03 AM »
I wanted do aggressive warlock cause they start with more hp. Just can't decide if I should go with a priestess or wizard for higher channeling.

Klaxas

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2012, 12:43:48 AM »
regardless of who you pick you can up your channeling pretty easy.  the warlock and beastmaster both get +1 die to thier first melee attack every turn

the warlock has the best weapon though (lash of hellfire)

bowlkart

« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2012, 01:22:32 AM »
I can't wait to get the game though. I think I'm going to try warlock depending on how spell book build goes.

Klaxas

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2012, 02:46:38 AM »
you can find the stat cards for all the mages posted on facebook.  that plus the cards you can see should give you some idea what to expect.  i know before i got mine i was looking through them all the time getting ideas.