April 28, 2024, 11:47:36 PM

Author Topic: Forged in Fire (Unofficial) Review  (Read 21979 times)

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
  • www.magewars.weebly.com
    • View Profile
Forged in Fire (Unofficial) Review
« on: June 06, 2014, 12:53:34 PM »
Hello all, my unofficial review of FiF is up on my blog -->HERE<--

Check it out and let me know what you think!

Edit: I would like to add that this is my own personal review. I am not affiliated with Arcane Wonders in any way, aside from loving Mage Wars. I was not given a copy of this expansion to review, I am just basing this off of all the cards that have been revealed.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 02:07:05 PM by Lord0fWinter »
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
Visit my Mage Wars blog at www.magewars.weebly.com, also check me out on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MageWarsBlog and on twitter at @MageWarsBlog

LetsLevelUp

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Forged in Fire (Unofficial) Review
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014, 02:10:14 PM »
Awesome write up Lord0fWinter!

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 03:32:36 PM »
Very nice write up, one more thing on Talos, that I picked up on my last game. He is hard to enchant (being non-living) but easy to cast an incantations on. Since his 6 dice attack is a Quick Attack, a Charge + Battle Fury is a great game ender, especially since most mages are going to try and run away from him.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Bluebaron

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 03:43:40 PM »
Very nice. Thanks a lot for the review. A lot of thanks also for the blog. It is great.

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 03:50:14 PM »
Thanks for the support everybody. I really do appreciate it.

Very nice write up, one more thing on Talos, that I picked up on my last game. He is hard to enchant (being non-living) but easy to cast an incantations on. Since his 6 dice attack is a Quick Attack, a Charge + Battle Fury is a great game ender, especially since most mages are going to try and run away from him.

Shh, don't reveal my strategy ;) In all seriousness though, that's a very good find. I had thought about Battle Fury individually but not combined with Charge as well. That would be awesome to do! I just want to be able to get him out. The feeling you get when bringing him into the Arena must be epic.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 03:55:20 PM by Lord0fWinter »
Visit my Mage Wars blog at www.magewars.weebly.com, also check me out on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MageWarsBlog and on twitter at @MageWarsBlog

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2014, 04:31:21 PM »
I won the other day with this combo :) . In all seriousness you need to be good at playing control style books to get him out and be able to win. Your opponent will try to nick you up and then when they can no longer prevent him from coming out, will turn to rapid fire spike damage to try to take you out before he can have an effect on the game.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2014, 04:43:49 PM »
Minor thing, you wrote "As I already mentioned, the two Mages included in this expansion are the alternate Warlock and the alternate Warlord" but you didn't mention it before that :P

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2014, 04:48:23 PM »
Minor thing, you wrote "As I already mentioned, the two Mages included in this expansion are the alternate Warlock and the alternate Warlord" but you didn't mention it before that :P

I did. "Forged in Fire (FiF from here on out), is a small expansion that takes another look at the Warlock and Warlord."

I suppose it could be a bit more clear though. I can see how that could be interpreted as taking a look at their schools of magic and not the mages themselves. I'll change it :)

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2014, 05:00:09 PM »
Oh wow i totally missed that line. My bad :)

Arlemus

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2014, 08:21:31 PM »
Good review LoW, overall solid points and explanations.  The layout was nice, I dig the card sliders  8).  I feel like the end was a bit too opinionated for my taste, but sharing your opinions is half, or more, of the reason why reviews exist so it makes sense. 

The biggest thing for me is that the review sounds like it was written by someone who at least SEEMS to understand/actually plays mage wars, where in contrast, while they're popular, Tom Vasel, Joel Eddy, etc, don't sound like they have a good fundamental understanding of the game when they talk about it, and it really detracts from their review.  Not the case here.

Just to hit on a few of the new cards...

I'm trying really hard to like Harshforge Monolith, but for some reason I'm having a logic block on it.  I know it's going to be really good (and I'm going to use it), it can easily pay for itself in 2 turns with even a moderate quantity of enchants, but the problem I have is that upkeep +1 might not be that big of a deal, unless there's a HUGE amount of enchants out.  I'm sure it'll be great anyway.

I think Conquer is the best card the Warlord is getting in this set.  Battleforge and Wizard Tower are both really strong (like you mentioned) and relatively hard to deal with, and having the ability to effectively dissolve them is really strong.  I also like the fact that this card will likely force more players to play more creatures, which will make Vet stronger, so this card is not only a direct buff to War Mages but an Indirect buff to Bloodwave and pretty meta changing I think.

Blood demon is awesome but I think he's going to be more situational than DPS's.  Flying is obviously pretty annoying to deal with (outside of having access to certain counters) but I think the piercing +2 of the DPS is what really makes blood reaper versions of them hit so hard, whereas blood demons, while rolling the same dice essentially (1+2+3=4+2) will have more trouble with armor.

I think players should pay more attention to Infernian Scourger.  Sure, there isn't much on the card, but I bet that with that counterstrike they're going to be really annoying to take down  :P.  I bet they see lots of play.

Oh and last thing is concerning your teleport/dispel section.  There's really nothing to be done about the Warlord, or any (non wizard) mage really, paying more for dispel but hopefully this set puts lets emphasis on the absolute need for multiple copies in a book.  But more importantly, I think this expansion will do more than you let on to deal with teleport.  Between rolling fog, the new, easily included, earth wall, and fumble, I feel like there's a lot of good ways to deal with knowing you might get teleported.  I wish rolling fog wasn't 4 points for every mage except possibly the wizard, which is ironic considering I doubt any wizard would ever use it, lol. 

But more to the point, I think by the time your opponent is in a situation where teleporting you into a big creature is worthwhile, it will be pretty easy to rolling fog in the first QC step, or drop a wall if you're mana starved, or fumble his big creature.  Hell, if you're REALLY mana starved you can drop Brace Yourself and be pretty okay even against multiple big attacks for only 2 mana.  Between obscured, the new low cost wall, fumble, and the even lower cost brace yourself, I think the dominance of teleport might not be so strong after this expansion.

That's all just my 2 cents though.  I agree with pretty much every card explanation, well thought out, and again props on the layout.

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2014, 08:48:55 PM »
Good review LoW, overall solid points and explanations.  The layout was nice, I dig the card sliders  8).  I feel like the end was a bit too opinionated for my taste, but sharing your opinions is half, or more, of the reason why reviews exist so it makes sense. 

Thanks Arlemus. Yeah, opinions tend to take up large parts of reviews. Instead of filling the post with my opinion throughout, I figured I would condense it and put it at the end.

The biggest thing for me is that the review sounds like it was written by someone who at least SEEMS to understand/actually plays mage wars, where in contrast, while they're popular, Tom Vasel, Joel Eddy, etc, don't sound like they have a good fundamental understanding of the game when they talk about it, and it really detracts from their review.  Not the case here.

Yeah I have huge respect for those guys and they do alot for these games publicity-wise. However, that being said, I thought the community needed a person who plays this game all the time to write some reviews and do some other stuff. That was part of the reason I made the blog in the first place. Literally most of my day is spent here on the Forums and on the blog.

Just to hit on a few of the new cards...

I'm trying really hard to like Harshforge Monolith, but for some reason I'm having a logic block on it.  I know it's going to be really good (and I'm going to use it), it can easily pay for itself in 2 turns with even a moderate quantity of enchants, but the problem I have is that upkeep +1 might not be that big of a deal, unless there's a HUGE amount of enchants out.  I'm sure it'll be great anyway.

Well, in my meta there is a LOT of enchantment stacking. At one time my opponents will have around like 3-5 enchantments on a single creature. In my group, at least, this card will absolutely destroy those strategies, or at least make them think twice. Same with Curse spellbooks. I think many metas will agree, maybe not to the same extreme extent though. I think it's one of the most powerful cards in here since it isn't limited to any Mage or school of magic. Even at 4 spellbook points, it's quite a powerful card.

I think Conquer is the best card the Warlord is getting in this set.  Battleforge and Wizard Tower are both really strong (like you mentioned) and relatively hard to deal with, and having the ability to effectively dissolve them is really strong.  I also like the fact that this card will likely force more players to play more creatures, which will make Vet stronger, so this card is not only a direct buff to War Mages but an Indirect buff to Bloodwave and pretty meta changing I think.

Agree 100% here. I think overall it's probably the best card in the set, but that's just my opinion. I'm not sure it'll force them to play more creatures, but I know for a fact that they'll have to be more careful with them. No more Wizard dropping the Tower on turn 1 in his FC.

Blood demon is awesome but I think he's going to be more situational than DPS's.  Flying is obviously pretty annoying to deal with (outside of having access to certain counters) but I think the piercing +2 of the DPS is what really makes blood reaper versions of them hit so hard, whereas blood demons, while rolling the same dice essentially (1+2+3=4+2) will have more trouble with armor.

I think the DPS is an overall better Blood Reaper because he is less situational, but Blood Demons are pretty nasty on their own. I wasn't commenting on terms of him being a Blood Reaper and I think I even mentioned that the Bloodthirsty can hurt instead of help if you aren't careful.

I think players should pay more attention to Infernian Scourger.  Sure, there isn't much on the card, but I bet that with that counterstrike they're going to be really annoying to take down  :P.  I bet they see lots of play.

Agreed. I was debating whether to take a closer look at him or not but decided not to. He's really self explanatory. Very solid level 2 Demon.

Oh and last thing is concerning your teleport/dispel section.  There's really nothing to be done about the Warlord, or any (non wizard) mage really, paying more for dispel but hopefully this set puts lets emphasis on the absolute need for multiple copies in a book.  But more importantly, I think this expansion will do more than you let on to deal with teleport.  Between rolling fog, the new, easily included, earth wall, and fumble, I feel like there's a lot of good ways to deal with knowing you might get teleported.  I wish rolling fog wasn't 4 points for every mage except possibly the wizard, which is ironic considering I doubt any wizard would ever use it, lol. 

Well, perhaps someday we'll get a card from another school that does something similar to either of those. I agree somewhat, but in my opinion, teleport will still be king. There are ways to make them pay more to target you with it if you are the Warlord, but if the enemy mage is looking to teleport you, they're still going to do it.

But more to the point, I think by the time your opponent is in a situation where teleporting you into a big creature is worthwhile, it will be pretty easy to rolling fog in the first QC step, or drop a wall if you're mana starved, or fumble his big creature.  Hell, if you're REALLY mana starved you can drop Brace Yourself and be pretty okay even against multiple big attacks for only 2 mana.  Between obscured, the new low cost wall, fumble, and the even lower cost brace yourself, I think the dominance of teleport might not be so strong after this expansion.

This is where we disagree. You can Fumble their creature but you're still likely to be in a bad position even if they can't attack with it. They'll just do it next turn (unless you do another Fumble). I guess you could do Rolling Fog but that might mess you up as well, and it doesn't stop them completely from targeting you. They can move one closer and cast it to move you 2 zones. Not as much as the 4, but still. I see what you're saying but I just still think teleport will be one of the most important spells. Just my opinion though, and we can agree to disagree if necessary :)

That's all just my 2 cents though.  I agree with pretty much every card explanation, well thought out, and again props on the layout.

Thanks again for the input :)

echephron

• Player
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • The finest in mage wear...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2014, 10:11:00 PM »
Awesome review. i hate it when the reviewers mess up the rules in their explanations or playthroughs, so i'm glad you are an expert. I think your review will be the page i go to when i want to think about the new FIF cards and how they fit into my game.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2014, 10:19:23 PM »
Awesome review. i hate it when the reviewers mess up the rules in their explanations or playthroughs, so i'm glad you are an expert. I think your review will be the page i go to when i want to think about the new FIF cards and how they fit into my game.

I would hardly call myself an expert, just a normal guy who loves this game very, very much :) I appreciate the sentiment though. I'm glad you have found the review informative!

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2014, 10:39:00 PM »
That's pretty cool Winter. I'm also looking forward to playing the new Warlord mostly cause I've never really messed with the War school much.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Arlemus

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2014, 12:49:26 AM »
Awesome review. i hate it when the reviewers mess up the rules in their explanations or playthroughs

Seconded x 1000.

I like Drive Thru Reviews taste in games, and I realize that the video reviewers have it rough in terms of editing, but geez oh man did it get painful to watch.  After a while I of being facepalming I had to remind myself I was just watching to see the spoilers  :P.  Watching is a lot easier than reading though, and the video reviews tend to get a lot higher volume than written reviews, so that's a really good positive growth factor (as I'm sure AW recognizes).  That being said, while Let's Level Up's video was a really nicely put together, but then was too slow, so it seems hard to strike the right balance between all those factors...
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 11:29:53 AM by Arlemus »