April 29, 2024, 02:12:05 AM

Author Topic: Forged in Fire (Unofficial) Review  (Read 21981 times)

Schwenkgott

• Thunderdome
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Re: Forged in Fire (Unofficial) Review
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2014, 05:13:18 AM »
Nice review, was fun to read. But ....

<The Warlord is indeed getting a much needed upgrade.>

<I don't see Wizards losing their spot as the "best" Mage. Their cheap access to Arcane staples like Teleport and Dispel, along with the powerful Wizard Tower still give them an advantage over the rest of the competition>

I disagree with you here. If you know what you do, the old warlord without the new FiF cards is very powerful. Especially veteran tokens can ruin the day of your enemy.
I dont see the wizard as the best mage at all. You can always prepare your spellbook in a way to beat other spellbooks you've seen.
After watching tons of games on octgn (where we have all the promocards available for everyone), in my opinion the priest and the beastmastress need more love, not the warlock :)
Akiro, I have never prayed to you before. No one will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that one stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Akiro... so grant me strength! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
  • www.magewars.weebly.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2014, 08:20:17 AM »
Nice review, was fun to read. But ....

I disagree with you here. If you know what you do, the old warlord without the new FiF cards is very powerful. Especially veteran tokens can ruin the day of your enemy.
I dont see the wizard as the best mage at all. You can always prepare your spellbook in a way to beat other spellbooks you've seen.
After watching tons of games on octgn (where we have all the promocards available for everyone), in my opinion the priest and the beastmastress need more love, not the warlock :)

Well, this is where my opinion comes into play. I will say, this discussion has been had countless times, so we don't need to have it again on another thread.

However, you are completely entitled to have your own opinion, & I am actually glad you disagree. If everybody on here had the same opinion about things, this forum would be quite a boring place :)
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
Visit my Mage Wars blog at www.magewars.weebly.com, also check me out on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MageWarsBlog and on twitter at @MageWarsBlog

isel

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2014, 09:03:08 AM »
fantastic review!!! congratulations.

I see new cards, but im not sure if those are all the cards of F&F, if that it´s true im sad for my druid, too many power for warlord and warlock and the others mages are forgotten, specially druid, priest and beastmaster, i was waiting a new plant for my druid, and i believe i dont like this pack because warlock and warlord have now too many power and that meaning that this game become unbalanced, i like this game because all mages normally are balanced but if you put too many cards for one type of mage it´s the same that when i play Warhammer, if you didnt bought the last army normally you had more difficult to win.

please arcane wonder, dont do that!!!, your game it´s fantastic!!! dont broke it!!!

Maybe im wrong, but its my opinion and i hope dont disturb anyone.

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2014, 11:31:50 AM »
Dear Isel,

expansion is named Forged in Fire, not Born in Jungle. Its main protagonists are Dwarf King, not Dwarf Gardender and Warlock lady. I am very satisfied about current form of this expansion. I disagree, that Warlord and Warlock gain too much power. They just have a wide variety of tools to choose from. Thats all. If warlord win every tournament and force earth wizard into retairment, i will appologize but not know ;)

Also, stating that game is unbalanced even before FiF get into your country and onto your table is ... well... not very... thoughtful.

Schools (not mages) that are now in queuve is Water, Mind and Holy. If you check numbers of all cards, nature school is pretty big :)
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

isel

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2014, 11:35:43 AM »
Dear Isel,

expansion is named Forged in Fire, not Born in Jungle. Its main protagonists are Dwarf King, not Dwarf Gardender and Warlock lady. I am very satisfied about current form of this expansion. I disagree, that Warlord and Warlock gain too much power. They just have a wide variety of tools to choose from. Thats all. If warlord win every tournament and force earth wizard into retairment, i will appologize but not know ;)

Also, stating that game is unbalanced even before FiF get into your country and onto your table is ... well... not very... thoughtful.

Schools (not mages) that are now in queuve is Water, Mind and Holy. If you check numbers of all cards, nature school is pretty big :)

yeahhh i know pal, but after the release of CoK that had spell for all schools, i expect something similar.

Arlemus

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2014, 01:02:37 PM »
fantastic review!!! congratulations.

I see new cards, but im not sure if those are all the cards of F&F, if that it´s true im sad for my druid, too many power for warlord and warlock and the others mages are forgotten, specially druid, priest and beastmaster, i was waiting a new plant for my druid, and i believe i dont like this pack because warlock and warlord have now too many power and that meaning that this game become unbalanced, i like this game because all mages normally are balanced but if you put too many cards for one type of mage it´s the same that when i play Warhammer, if you didnt bought the last army normally you had more difficult to win.

please arcane wonder, dont do that!!!, your game it´s fantastic!!! dont broke it!!!

I don't think FiF is about giving certain mages "too many power" but filling in gaps in their accessible card pools.  In this expansion the Warlord gains a level 3 ranged creature, a level 4 non legend big, a ring to support Bloodwave, a few nice commands, etc.  The Warlock finally gains a level 2 demon, another good target for blood reaper (blood demon), a few cards to support pentagram (previously unplayable), etc.  The priest isn't forgotten, he's finally getting a level 2 target for holy avenger in a good body (asyran defender).

I think what AW did with this set was ask themselves which mages had the biggest gaps to fill card-wise, and did their best to fill those spots in the context of a tome expansion.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2014, 02:26:50 PM »
Btw, you made a mistake when describing how vine markers work, LoW. Spells cast through a vine marker can only target at range 0-0 of that vine marker. If you destroy a vine marker to cast a tanglevine, for instance, the vine marker can only target a creature in the same zone as the destroyed vine marker was.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Toxziq

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • "Now... bring me that horizon..."
    • View Profile
    • Crits Happen
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2014, 05:15:45 PM »
Good write up!  Considering we didn't send you a set to review, this is an amazing write up.  Keep up the great work, it's fan sites like yours that help drive awareness of such great games and infuse others with a passion for playing! :)
  • Favourite Mage: Anvil Throne Warlord

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2014, 07:57:53 PM »
Isel i can understand where you're coming from, I figured there'd be a new plant too but ah well. However the other mages do get a little something fromt he set:

Beast Master: Lions Savagery. Words can not describe how I look forward to putting this on Cervere. Or for that matter a simple Thunderift Falcon. The Johtari Beast Master herself will benefit from it too if you go hard and up close with her instead of range sniper. This card also stacks with Bear Strength, so you can make a VERY disgusting creature.

Priestess: Asyran Defenders. A good solid Level 2 Soldier that's no joke in a scrap. It'll make a good Holy Avenger for the Priest and a good early game defender for the Priestess. Honestly she needed a good Level 2 more than anything else in my opinion.

Force Master: Yeah Disarm is a Novice spell but I honestly plan to put it on a Thoughtspore more than anything else. It saves you the effort of having to Dissolve equipment and frees you up to do other attacks. Not the best spell but still not horrible.

I don't think they're going to break the game with this set but I can understand your concerns. I would urge you to play with a few of the cards for a while and see how they work for you. The strong focus on the Warlord and Warlock is because a lot of people were clamoring for it. I'm in the "Warlords not horrible" camp but I can understand Arcane Wonders desire to give the fan base what they're wanting most. From what I understand the new Warlord was eventually going to be a new Wizard for example.

• Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

isel

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2014, 10:32:57 PM »
Isel i can understand where you're coming from, I figured there'd be a new plant too but ah well. However the other mages do get a little something fromt he set:

Beast Master: Lions Savagery. Words can not describe how I look forward to putting this on Cervere. Or for that matter a simple Thunderift Falcon. The Johtari Beast Master herself will benefit from it too if you go hard and up close with her instead of range sniper. This card also stacks with Bear Strength, so you can make a VERY disgusting creature.

Priestess: Asyran Defenders. A good solid Level 2 Soldier that's no joke in a scrap. It'll make a good Holy Avenger for the Priest and a good early game defender for the Priestess. Honestly she needed a good Level 2 more than anything else in my opinion.

Force Master: Yeah Disarm is a Novice spell but I honestly plan to put it on a Thoughtspore more than anything else. It saves you the effort of having to Dissolve equipment and frees you up to do other attacks. Not the best spell but still not horrible.

I don't think they're going to break the game with this set but I can understand your concerns. I would urge you to play with a few of the cards for a while and see how they work for you. The strong focus on the Warlord and Warlock is because a lot of people were clamoring for it. I'm in the "Warlords not horrible" camp but I can understand Arcane Wonders desire to give the fan base what they're wanting most. From what I understand the new Warlord was eventually going to be a new Wizard for example.

Thanks for understand meeeeeee thanks  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

i only was waiting for a new plant for my little druid, because i´m boring for playing with the sames, druid its very good but have a poor variety of creature plants.....well i wait for the next pack, and if i saw a warlock....i put in my suitcase a little of oil for her to see the true fire!!! muahahahah xd

lil_drag_n

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2014, 06:21:05 PM »
I also love the druid but she is a very new mage.  She will definitely get some support with the paladin vs siren expansion. Obviously siren will intro more water spells maybe even a plant or level 1 water creature.

The holy mages are getting a bigger boost than just asyran defender.  People are forgetting that lots of their creatures are soldiers. Which is getting so love in FIF.
Jedi vs that orc guy from L of the R, wow what a mix,... i wonder if AW would consider Dhalsim a mage.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2014, 08:56:38 PM »
I totally agree the Barracks is an awesome idea for Holy books as well. Lot of cool stuff in this set.
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2014, 11:43:32 PM »
Arent barracks warlord only?
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
  • www.magewars.weebly.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2014, 11:47:54 PM »
Arent barracks warlord only?

Yeah they are.
Visit my Mage Wars blog at www.magewars.weebly.com, also check me out on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MageWarsBlog and on twitter at @MageWarsBlog

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2014, 11:50:23 PM »
Argh. Wrote Barracks. Meant Armory.