April 27, 2024, 05:22:21 PM

Author Topic: Paladin and Siren speculation  (Read 62019 times)

Death-from-above

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • This is some really personal text
    • View Profile
Paladin and Siren speculation
« on: June 03, 2014, 06:57:56 AM »
Hey guys. So I know that this particular expansion won't be out for a long while, but I can't help but contain my excitement for these two particular mages, mainly the Paladin. I was wondering what people were thinking that these two spellbooks could contain in terms of types of creatures, enchantments etc.?

For the Paladin, I can't wait to see what kind of big creature that Arcane Wonders decides to use for him. Ever since Talos and Sardonix has been spoiled, Ive been wondering what sort of creature it could be. I was thinking of an Archangel type of creature that was in charge of all the angels for Asyra that came with a pretty awesome power.

Something that would be cool, and this is just my opinion, is if the special ability of the Archangel could be something like, when he is summoned, the Paladin can choose a certain amount of holy creatures that had been killed (by an opponents creature) and whatever the number he chooses, thats how many Wrath tokens the Archangel comes into play with, but at a cost. For every creature chosen, the Paladin must pay an increased amount of mana for each killed creature chosen. That way, if you want a really strong Archangel, you have to save up a pretty hefty amount of mana for him. Not to mention you have to lose a certain amount of creatures to attain that strength and herein lies that choice that the opponent needs to make. Do I try to control how many creatures I kill so he can't get too many Wrath tokens? Do I just ignore his creatures and just go straight for him? In doing so, they may reduce the power of the Archangel, but they will end up having to contend with a larger army of creatures that they have to avoid.

This is just one of the few ideas I had for that. I want to hear from everyone else. What do you think each mage will bring to the table?
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Why am I not a banana?"
"Because your genetic code dictates that you are human. However it should please you to know that you share 50-60% of your DNA with a banana."
"Thanks man"
"Are you telling me that some people are 10% more banana than other people?"

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Paladin and Siren speculation
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 04:26:06 PM »
Keep guessing people  8)
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 05:11:29 PM »
I suspect that PvS will introduce frost (finally) and dramatically increase the psychic component of the mind school. I'm hoping it adds terrain conjurations. I've been wondering about those since someone mentioned that they won't be included in FiF.

I suspect the Siren will be fairly psychic focused. It would be interesting if she was trained in psychic mind spells and water, but in that case both psychic spells and water would need to be significantly expanded. Particularly since the Necromancer and certain Wizard builds use entirely Psychic Immune creatures, and the Siren would need to be able to deal with that.

I have less idea what the Paladin will bring to the table. The Anvil Throne Warlord already covers equipment pretty well, and both Warlords and the Priestess already cover midrange army building. The Priestess already covers healing.

At the moment, the most underdeveloped major schools are mind, war, and holy. I'm hoping that PvS fleshes those 3 schools out, and gives them all some more utility. FiF will already help with war, but it needs the most work. I'm hoping that PvS will give the Priest a significant boost and give more flexible build options to the Forcemaster in addition to giving us 2 new mages and evening out the utility in the different major schools.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
  • www.magewars.weebly.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 05:17:56 PM »
Yeah hopefully we'll see both frost and terrain added. Terrain is gonna be awesome and I've been wondering what frost did ever since I opened the base set and saw creatures with resistances to it.

I agree about the Siren, Mind and Water seems about right, but like you said, they'll both need to be dramatically expanded for her to be viable. I see her having a bunch of aquatic creatures, fish, sharks, octopi, etc. She'll probably rely on Terrain quite a bit (assuming it comes out in that set) and have things like Whirlpools and Tsunamis to throw at enemy creatures.

For the Paladin, I see him being more of a Solo type Mage who perhaps has a few creatures. Hopefully a War horse to ride on. Maybe we'll see the first Mage who starts with 1 armor.
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
Visit my Mage Wars blog at www.magewars.weebly.com, also check me out on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MageWarsBlog and on twitter at @MageWarsBlog

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 11:50:04 PM »
Keep guessing people  8)

I prefer wild speculation. As such:

The Paladin should have a "Smite Evil" power as well as an immunity to poison to represent their natural resistance to disease. As for a big creature: Malakai. The head arch angel and big bad of the heavenly host.

The Siren I've no idea. Maybe she can talk to fish or something. I'm allergic to shellfish so maybe her attacks will get +8 piercing against my mages.

Obviously I play more divine casters in DnD than I do water mages  8)

What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

krj

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 05:03:30 AM »
with Siren probably will come Water Elemental :) and there also could be a Kraken! that would be awwwwsome :D

i think fishes would be strange. they need to swim, so i cannot imagine that Royal Archer or foxes now are in the water fighting with Sharks and Pyranhas :) or maybe she would have some sort of spells that would make flood everywhere with similar mechanism to Druid's vines... don't know. still it feels strange for me. i can imagine that she won't rely so much on her creatures, but rather on water (maybe sonic) attacks and confusing enemies to kill themselves/each other.

for frost spells we need some Whitewalker Mage :)

Death-from-above

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • This is some really personal text
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 06:07:56 AM »
For the Paladin, I see him being more of a Solo type Mage who perhaps has a few creatures. Hopefully a War horse to ride on. Maybe we'll see the first Mage who starts with 1 armor.

I can definitely see him as a solo mage. I would like to guess that he is going to be the bridge between the Priestess and the Priest. The Priestess is all about support while the Priest is of the aggressive type. That's not to say those roles can't be switched between them. I think the Paladin will have a variety of support spells that will help back up him and his potentially aggressive creatures.

The Siren I've no idea. Maybe she can talk to fish or something. I'm allergic to shellfish so maybe her attacks will get +8 piercing against my mages.

Haha yeah, I'm not too sure what AW could have planned for the Siren. Maybe Aquaman will be her super creature. I can definitely see the potential for terrain spells in this expansion
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Why am I not a banana?"
"Because your genetic code dictates that you are human. However it should please you to know that you share 50-60% of your DNA with a banana."
"Thanks man"
"Are you telling me that some people are 10% more banana than other people?"

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2014, 09:47:07 AM »
I can definitely see him as a solo mage. I would like to guess that he is going to be the bridge between the Priestess and the Priest. The Priestess is all about support while the Priest is of the aggressive type. That's not to say those roles can't be switched between them. I think the Paladin will have a variety of support spells that will help back up him and his potentially aggressive creatures.
Very interesting, I always thought Pali's as leaders of an elite squad, being all knight like and such. But who knows, I am an old AD&D (there were no editions) player who favored the Paladin.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

ozmo

• Playtester
  • Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2014, 12:39:54 PM »
Paladin & Siren.. Hmm... I know what I want.

Sharks with frickin' Temples of Light attached to their heads.

It has to be in this set. It just has to be.

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2014, 12:54:37 PM »
My guess is we will tons of cheap (5-7 mana) temples to combine with ToL.

Myrddin

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2014, 01:20:24 PM »
In terms of sitting between Priest and Priestess (and because the 'lay on hands' stuff has already been done by Priestess), I'd guess that Paladin would give buffs to the rest of his gang.

Maybe he has Aegis 1 and gives it to every creature in his zone, say. Stacked with armour, that would make him a complete tank. Discourage him comboing with angels, too, which could be a design choice (he leads knights and clerics, Priests+Priestesses call on the Celestial Host).

lettucemode

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2014, 01:34:16 PM »
I'm expecting that the paladin will b able to function as a solo mage. After all, paladins have a very wide range of specializations in every game I've played that has one - they can protect, heal, or go to town on their enemies.

What about an enchanment like: Righteous Fury: targets mage, 7 mana reveal, mage gains Fast and Melee +2. Some new temples that he could buff himself with would work out thematically as well.

Bluebaron

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2014, 01:51:04 PM »
When I remember it right. Somewhere was mentioned that he will have some special equipment. The more you put on the better it gets. The description sounded more like a solo mage.

Chriz007

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2014, 01:59:02 PM »
My guess:

Paladin - war & holy
Siren - mind & water

Paladin play with buffs to his creatures focusing on making them stronger (more armour?)

Siren to bring in water creatures? With terrain effect of flooding a zone? Charming effect to try and steal an creature? 
UK Mage Wars Ambassador

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2014, 02:15:00 PM »
I just don't see a mage being trained in two of the main schools even if it's only Level 1 War or something. Though who knows it could be.
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.