April 27, 2024, 09:44:16 AM

Author Topic: The Blasting Banker  (Read 41759 times)

Charmyna

• Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • Dark Destroyer
    • View Profile
Re: The Blasting Banker
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2014, 12:58:32 PM »
My thoughts about Acid Ball: Corrode tokens are nice for sure but with only Acid Balls you will never be able to lower the opponents armor below two (unless he has only one body armor in his book). In the case of Druid its even worse since he can always go back to 4 armor with recasting his Barkskin+body armor and the Priestess just laughs about tokens . In addition many players use at least one card that allows to get rid of tokens in general (Wand of Healing or Renewing Spring).
So this tells me that even if I go the multi Acid Ball route I need at least enough Dissolves to get rid of all his body armor but one and his Wand of Healing. Then I need at least two dissolves against his two Mage/Dispel Wands (many got two at least).
Even with 4 dissolves I often feel the need of more. Therefore in most builds I run 6 dissolves. Equipment is just too good. Btw its also important to note that Dissolve is much more flexible than Acid Ball since the latter does not help against Mage Wands, Regrowth Belt, Reflex Boots etc.
In the end, since I spend quite some points into dissolves I dont want to spend even more points into a couple acid balls for tokens which might get removed at some point. I just stick to the dissolves which destroy the item for sure and are more flexible.
The reason I still play one Acid Ball in this build is the Wizards Tower. That way in some situations I can mimic a Dissolve with the Towers Action. Actually with the current build I dont cast the Tower till the Blast starts and at that point I prefer to have a Fireball/Flameblast on the Tower anyway. So I consider to remove even the last Acid Ball.
Still, I cant tell if other Octgn players share the same thoughts about Acid Ball and if this explains the low amount of Acid Balls at the moment.

@Removing corrode tokens with this build: In this spellbook there are two ways of removing corrode tokens: First, Wand of Healing and second, moving Rhino Hide with Transfusion and reequipping Body Armor. I admit, both are not action efficient. Still, they help giving the Banker the time needed to bank. Oh and I forgot: Acid Ball is the reason for Force Orb! If you consider that nearly half of the opponents Acid Balls go into Force Orb, Wand of Healing isnt that action inefficient any more.
If I feel like corrode tokens become a real problem, I might include Reflex Boots and Deflection Bracers in this Book. If the opponent Acid Balls me to zero Armor, I will replace the Leather Boots/Gloves with those two items. Then work my armor up from there.
If he Dissolves the Reflex Boots/Deflection Bracers later, I can equip the Leather Stuff again. In the end, I hope the opponent will regret to not have used Dissolve in the first place.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 01:06:12 PM by Charmyna »

tarkin84

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2014, 01:57:28 PM »
@Removing corrode tokens with this build: In this spellbook there are two ways of removing corrode tokens: First, Wand of Healing and second, moving Rhino Hide with Transfusion (...)

If I recall correctly, the latest FAQs stated that you can't use Enchantment transfusion to move one enchantment from a creature onto the same creature (i.e. no transfusion at all). So you would have to move Rhino hide to an opponent's creature and spend a second Enchantment transfusion and quick action to move the enchantment back to you.
My Mage Wars blog (in Spanish): www.gatetovoltari.blogspot.com

Charmyna

• Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • Dark Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2014, 03:09:49 PM »
@Removing corrode tokens with this build: In this spellbook there are two ways of removing corrode tokens: First, Wand of Healing and second, moving Rhino Hide with Transfusion (...)

If I recall correctly, the latest FAQs stated that you can't use Enchantment transfusion to move one enchantment from a creature onto the same creature (i.e. no transfusion at all). So you would have to move Rhino hide to an opponent's creature and spend a second Enchantment transfusion and quick action to move the enchantment back to you.

That was the plan ;). As I said, its not action efficient. You get one armor per action - same as with the Wand of Healing.

tarkin84

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2014, 03:22:04 PM »
That was the plan ;). As I said, its not action efficient. You get one armor per action - same as with the Wand of Healing.

But Wand of Healing is a permanent item and can be reused if corrode continues to be a problem; hence, you include it in your build. In addition, having this equipment on the table acts as a deterrent, i.e. you're opponent will be less likely to throw an Acid ball on you if he sees a Wand of Healing.

Nonetheless, your plan is still useful to save important enchantments. You evil trickster! :D

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2014, 03:32:59 PM »
My question stay... What do you do against a purge magic?

Charmyna

• Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • Dark Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2014, 03:55:35 PM »

But Wand of Healing is a permanent item and can be reused if corrode continues to be a problem; hence, you include it in your build. In addition, having this equipment on the table acts as a deterrent, i.e. you're opponent will be less likely to throw an Acid ball on you if he sees a Wand of Healing.

Nonetheless, your plan is still useful to save important enchantments. You evil trickster! :D

Sure, against corrode tokens the Wand of Healing is better. Still, it might get dissolved quickly if my opponent plans to use more Acid Balls. So I could either include two Wand of Healings or one Wand of Healing and two Enchantment Transfusion. I prefer the latter since they can be used against corrode tokens if in desperate need of armor, but they also can be used for other tricks.

My question stay... What do you do against a purge magic?

This is one reason for putting in three Enchantment Transfusion and four Nullify: In an ideal case, both my mage and the opponents mage have a Nullify+ Enchantment Transfusion on them. So, before the opponent can Purge Magic his or my mage, he first needs to get rid of three of these enchants! Otherwise his Purge Magic gets either nullified or the enchants are moved away from the Purge Magics Target.
You might think: Thats alot of actions for enchants that might never be used. Youre right, so in most games I just cast one Enchantment Transfusion on the mage that has the biggest number of my enchantments stacked - often thats my Wizard. Still, since in those situations I got like two or three hidden enchants on the Opponent as well, I guess he often is afraid of a double Nullify+Transfusion combo.
Anyway, I think because of the Nullify+Transfusion combo the majority of non-wizard builds and even most of the wizard builds dont include Purge Magic. Another reason not many include it might be that Purge Magic removes your own enchants as well. So if you plan on using Poisoned Blood, Marked for Death etc. on your Opponent you might not feel like Purge Magic is worth all those spellpoints.
Think about it in this way: Wont you prefer to have two more Dispel and a Seeking Dispel in most of your Spellbooks instead of a really seldomly used Purge Magic that has the risk of failing? I definitively prefer the Dispels!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 04:10:04 PM by Charmyna »

DeckBuilder

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2014, 07:41:13 PM »
This is one reason for putting in three Enchantment Transfusion and four Nullify

I'm sorry, Charmyna, but I'm daring to take issue with you here (gulp). Apologies if my explanation is very obvious to you but I think that, just like I took issue with your "It's all about the spell points!" claim, you are overselling control in MW.

Not unexpectedly considering Golem Pit's trap, I'm a big fan of Enchantment Transfusion, a combo enabler in this game as it allows more than 2 consecutive spell actions (without resorting to ready marker actions) and action bursts (or fleeting "windows of opportunity" as I called it) which is what combo is in a game of pick any 2 spells you can freely sequence.

However, I've seen a few posts recently that place Enchantment Transfusion on this pedestal as some sort of "pinnacle" of control.
If you have Transfusion Nullify on a bystander creature (even enemy), you have "true control" as opposed to "soft control" of just Nullify.
That is why you never waste an action: it only costs 1 mana (with Ring) to place a Nullify or Transfusion on an ally, setting up defenses.

However, let's not forget these facts: using Enchantment Transfusion means you have additionally paid...
+1 spell point (assuming Wizard)
+1-2 to cast it
+1 mana per enchantment moved (Arcane Ring discount on Nullify)
most importantly, +1 quick action

You pay this Premium for a timed counter of a spell, whether Dispel, Seeking Dispel, Dissolve (assuming Nullify ready as well) etc.
The designers have deliberately made it hard to put a "stranglehold" of control on the game as such denial cleverness is just not fun.
Because you do pay a steep premium but sometimes it's worth it as denying some critical spells are more important than others.
I contend a proper Aggro book will play at such a fast tempo that you should never get a chance to set up 2 card combo defenses.

As for...

Wont you prefer to have two more Dispel and a Seeking Dispel in most of your Spellbooks instead of a really seldomly used Purge Magic that has the risk of failing?

I believe this is disingenuous. Sometimes, when I know I've been so aggressive as to remove all Nullify protection, 1 quick spell action to remove 3 enchantments that cost 3 quick spell actions and more mana than the 11 (ring) to Purge is key to regaining Tempo Advantage. Forcemaster uses it with Steal Equipment against Dragonscale in an Armour Ward meta or a canny Wizard may use Steal Enchantment in a meta full of Wizards with Rhino Hide + Regrowth + Divine Protection. If I spend the same mana but less actions than you, I am up on the deal (because I am playing short game tempo, not long game attrition, I'm willing to pay more SPs). Just the knowledge I'm a Wizard is enough to prevent enchantment stacking against a potential Purge Magic. Else for just mere 12-1 mana and a quick action, you lose Bear Strength + Mongoose Agility + Forcefield.

You claim "I have Enchantment Transfusion and Nullify ready to counter" but how do you trade 2 actions for my 1 to deny me?

Transfusion Nullify is great in theory. Yes, it does sometimes work and I love it when it does. But it's overrated. Because a good player shouldn't give you time to gain 2 actions when he only had 1. A good player doesn't attack when he sees no possible Nullify protection. He Dissolves your Armour instead. Just like you state how you systematically Dissolve an enemy Wizards' Armour.

Enchantment Transfusion is best used for multiple enchantments (like Force Crush + Curses on the turn that you cast 2 Wardstones) because the penalty paid (mainly +1 extra banked action) is minimised for a sudden burst of banked actions that you get.

I don't understand where you find time to cast all of these control enchantments. As players should pressure you long before you have cast 7 Armour + Veterans Belt + Regen 2 + Aegis 1 (which, even with a Forge, takes time).

I used to play a game called Diplomacy. I was good at it, a force at European and Worlds. What I learnt is just a "name to be feared" is enough to psychologically defeat an opponent. Good players made mistakes against me they would never otherwise make. Because they had mentally accepted they would lose. So they did. Even though they could have easily beaten me. A feared reputation becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I sometimes watch your excellent podcasts and ask: "why are your opponents so afraid, giving you so much time to gain control?"
You're an amazingly strong player, Charmyna. But if you're honest, you'll admit you shouldn't be given time to do these "tricks".

The 2 Grizzlies Forcemaster build does not care that she spends 24 points on just 2 creatures. Because it's NOT "all about the spell points". It's quite often having the perfect spell for that tiny window of opportunity you have. And yes, 1 quick action Purge Magic when you know he has no Nullify protection can be priceless in turning the tempo to your advantage as you just spent less actions and mana.

Even the concept of negative denial is very difficult to execute in MW (thank goodness else it will be as dull as playing against Magic Control decks). You have 6 Dispels for my 6 Bear Strengths on my 4 Raptor Vines? All it means is you have spent equal to me (less Ring discounts) - yet I have gained 6 attacks with +2 dice when I reveal them. Denial in MW is by definition giving opponent who plays well at least 1 use of that spell you deny. As with Enchantment Transfusion, the designers have deliberately put control at a disadvantage. Otherwise, it would be too strong. Not all opponent spell actions are equal. Sometimes, it's worth spending more actions with Transfusion Nullify to prevent a spell action (like Purge). But it's a mistake on your opponents' part if they do not see the possibility and guard against it.

I watch your play and I have nothing but admiration at the quality of your play, Charmyna.
However I also get frustrated at watching some of your opponents' Fear at attacking you.
It's this Fear which allows you to feel Transfusion Nullify protects you from Purge Magic.
That you can freely Dissolve all your opponent's Armour but they can't do it back to you?
What are they doing instead then?

Your success is richly deserved and I've always said you're one of the best players in the world.
However, I hope you'll agree part of the reason why these builds work for you is because of fear.
You've psychologically beaten most of your opponents with your reputation before the first move.

But the main reason is the game rewards skill more than book-building and you're incredibly skillful.

Transfuse Nullify is hard to repeatedly pull off against good opponents (it's better used for multiple shifts to bypass Nullify).
Purge Magic is a meta card in the game: even if you don't play it, you have to account for it when playing against a Wizard.
Just as with your "it's ALL about the spell points!" claim that I disagreed with, I'm sorry that I have to disagree with you here.
I hope you don't take this disagreement of "always being in control" in the wrong spirit as I have the utmost respect for you.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 04:37:39 AM by DeckBuilder »
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye. And then it's just fun.

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2014, 09:31:20 PM »
I so much agree with you here DeckBuilder.

tarkin84

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2014, 04:23:29 AM »
I really love this sort of debates! :D

To be honest, even though I see all the theoretical potential of Enchantment transfusion (I love this combo-ish cards and I've even written an article in my blog about it), in my MW career I haven't had the opportunity to take my time and settle a Transfused Nullify more than once or twice. My opponents are so rude that will go after me since the very beginning of the game and I will be busy enough trying to survive to waste precious actions on Enchantment transfusion. But that's just my experience and I don't get to play as much as I'd like to.

Charmyna

• Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • Dark Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2014, 06:54:15 AM »
First, I really dont mind your disagreement DeckBuilder! I am really grateful for it since such discussions help many of us (me included for sure) to learn alot and to rethink our positions. I guess the most important things I learned about MW came from this forum - especially from my own wrong assumptions that were revealed by this great community.

@Enchantment Transfusion: In general I agree with you. Transfusion has some considerable extra costs - especially the extra action. So, if the opponent is a solo mage investing the majority of his actions into getting rid of my defensive equips/enchants, I will not be able to use Transfusion. In this situation I guess I would only use Nullify and the two most important enchants (IMO): Rhino Hide and Regrowth. Well I might add Force Orb if he starts using Acid Ball. But im not sure about that.
I cant tell you why, but in the last twenty games played via Octgn if I remember correctly I never played against a solo mage! The opponent had at least one big creature and most of them had three creatures or more. In those matches the opponent focused the Obelisk and the Forge before my mage, which gave me plenty of time to setup my armor and often I had time to add Nullify+Transfusion - especially if the opponent used his mages action to attack.
Against a solo mage that focuses my mage quickly with curses and/or dispels/dissolves+direct attacks I am sure this build will have a hard time - but thats not a great surprise since its somehow a mirror match and its quite natural to have 50% win chance in mirror matches. I guess my own medicine will taste bitter ;).
I dont know if the psychological component you talked about plays a role in my matches. My guess is that the more important factor is the absence of solo mages. Non-solo mages naturally use actions/spellpoins for other stuff besides equip/enchants on their mage and removing those from my mage. This action difference allows me to cast all the defensive stuff which makes all their small/medium creatures barely hurt me.
Talking about getting armor up quickly: I start with Battle Forge+Crystal in round 1. If the opponent starts slowly (i.e. casting spawnpoints/crystals etc) I get some more channeling increasing stuff in round 2. If he plays very aggressively and moves twice in round 1, I can still cast a Dragonscale Hauberk with the Forge and a Rhino Hide in QC phase of round 2. So even if the opponent has Initiative in round 2, before he can target me with anything (he needs to move again to do so), I got 4 armor. The second card I would prefer in that scenario is a regrowth since I will benefit from that even if I cast it on me after he attacked me. If he used curses on my mage (e.g. Magebane, Ghoul Rot, Poisoned Blood) the Regrowth will either "counter" the Ghoul Rot or make him reveal Poisoned Blood which allows me to Dispel it soon.
In round 3 if he attacked me, I would get a Veterans Belt, Leather Gloves and a Hand of Bimshalla. So we are talking about 5 Armor now, Vet Belt, Voltaric Shield and 3 healing per round. So I doubt an Opponent mainly relying on attack spells would be successful.
The more realistic case is an opponent which uses curses and many Dispels/Dissolves. His disadvantage will be that he can only use two actions per round to remove my defensive stuff (unless he got a Familiar/Wizards Tower) and I got three actions to build up stuff with the Forge. My disadvantage will be that I have to react - in the case of curses this means I might not be able to prevent the damage.
In the end against such a solo mage this build will surely be not as successful as described in the OP. Especially using Transfusion might be too costly action wise.

@Its all about spellpoints: I admit this is not the case for all builds. Still, a provocative thesis helps starting a fruitful discussion :). I furthermore admit that a Purge Magic might be very useful for certain builds. Its just Ive always found it hard to justify in my own builds - even as a Wizard. There are soo many nice cards I dont want to miss and which are used much more often than Purge Magic. Maybe if I play against you (DeckBuilder) and you show me how devastating Purge Magic is (im sure it can be in the right situation) I will hole up (for a while) ashamed ;).

@Transfusion tricks:
Recently I had quite a long game I partly lost because of Transfusion: I played Druid against a Warlock who casted Adramelech in round 2. Guess my first mistake was trying too desperately to defend my treebonded Vine Tree. Thereby I lost so much resources which should have been invested into the post Vine Tree battle. Thanks to the awesome survivability of the Druid I somehow managed to get up a Grizzly with Bear Strength and Eagle Wings. I was so happy to use the grizzlies 10 dice attack (with HoBS) against his soo annoying Adramelech!!! Guess what? He revealed Transfusion on his Mage and moved Reverse Attack to Adra. NOOOOO! If I remember correctly my Grizzly survived, but from this Hit I could never recover. Maybe next time I play a Falcon Precision even if the Opponent has no defence at all!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 07:55:43 AM by Charmyna »

webcatcher

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2014, 08:03:12 AM »
This is good information.  My problem with banking actions has been that my opponent will often be in my face before I feel like I have enough actions banked.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2014, 09:37:27 AM »
Its the fricken Wizards Tower too, if that mage comes on that quickly you bound for a Dissolve  (being this aggressive means one piece of armor) and WoT Push Push, game. He didn't put that piece in his write up. He lost with a Druid not a Wizard.

This is why the Wizard is still the top dog in the OCTGN meta. Next game the last one only lasted 20 minutes. So now you slow down, armor up, pull out a big. In the interim 4-5 rounds, he's dropped BF 2=3 crystals, has a ton of armor, Nullify hidden, and a Dissolve Wand. And guess what, he is waiting on you to come for him. So you do fatty at your side (picture in your mind a fatty of your choice remember your at no later than round five and had to armor up, get a Nullify on, try to get the Dice up on your attack, and get a fatty out), he ignores your big as he is five armor, vShield, and such. He first tries to teleport you mage from your big so as to separate you, you Nullify counters, he Dissolves your armor. If he has played his typical game, it is the end of your initiative, he puts on more equipment (Veterans Belt), QC's a Jinx on you, and brings out the Wizards Tower. Now you have a dilemma, next thing I cast, is a lost action. Do I wait and seeking dispel it next round? Or do I know this is coming (I do) and have something throw away planned (note I am now at an even bigger action advantage). Since he is only running himself he passes, I cast armor, he Dissolves and WT hits me with a Flameblast. Note now he is channeling 13-15 depending on how long it took me (did I mention amulet on him?). 

I think you can see where the game is going. Unless he is running an very experimental deck it is just a very rough go at it. 30 or so games trying all manner of permutations and I still have nothing to beat a Wizard + Wizard Tower other than another Wizard and Wizard + Wizard Tower.

You might even say Ballista, surely those bad boys can hurt the WT. Well yes, but they burn so freaking easily, a fireball get 8 dice, they can not attack into the same zone, so a creature can camp in the zone and take a bite out of it. In may games I can get two shots off one for each Ballista then they are dead before I can fire them again. So now I throw in some Dwarf Panzergardes to protect the Ballista's with Intercept. I have done very little than save mana and get some armor on so as to not fall victim of WoTPP. I can get one Ballista + Dwarf out a turn for 42 mana. Now I don't even have the chance to fire both at the same time, but one at time. So what happens? Push + Fireball and Blue Gremlin in to finish it off. Ok fool me once, put a Nullify/Reverse Magic on the other Dwarf and he is on Guard. He sends the Blue Gremlin over to bite on the dwarf, fireball on Ballista #2. So once again you can see where this going. He has been spending 8 mana on a fireball each round, I have been desperately trying to protect my investment to no avail. In the interim, out of harms way, he has suited up, gotten Enchanters Ring out, and they (hidden Enchantments) are just dripping off of him. He is now ready to move in for the kill and I have almost nothing to show for my efforts.

Now most of my experience playing Charmyna has been pre-DvN, and this build doesn't even carry the hated Gorgon Archers, don't even get me started on those in the Watergate/GrizzWiz books.

I don't fear him, just respect the hell out of him, when he plays he doesn't make many mistakes at all, and when(if) I do he punishes you severely. If you watch my 2nd Necro vs. Druid game with him. I know I need to keep two zones between him and me to keep my Cloak of Shadows away from the Dissolve Wand. I did that, but moved mage so he was two away at the end of my initiative round. I realized quickly that I was in danger of loosing my Cloak, so I put on a Nullify. As I wrote earlier, he passed during 1st QC and I put on the Nullify. He moves down, tries to teleport me away from my zombies and Nullify and he Dissolves, the game went on from there, but that was when the game turned on me.

Why did I write all of this up? I just want people who are not playing on OCTGN to have a bit of a better understanding of the play and flow of play against this fearsome opponent. Truly would love to see some of these high level players from other games get on and play each other, I think they would be Fantastic games.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

DeckBuilder

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2014, 10:46:26 AM »
Touched a nerve here, have we sIKE?  ;D

Thanks for the great response, Charmyna.
All good stuff. We are all learning here.

You say you haven't played against a Wizard with BB?
I assume it will lose against Walled Altar of Skulls cheese?
How does it handle Hyper Aggro like 2 Grizzly FM?
In my only non playtest game recently, I thrashed a Wizard with Zombie Brute Squad.
Pestilence and Deathlock while chased by 4 Frenzied Brutes should hurt?

It's obviously a great build if unbeaten.
Just that I would feel naked playing Solo.
Congrats on your great results with it.

Would reply more but typing on phone.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 10:56:42 AM by DeckBuilder »
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye. And then it's just fun.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2014, 11:40:20 AM »
No not really, just trying to provide some insight into the play here on the OCTGN side of things.

Most of the cheese you refer to doesn't matter as he is focused on your mage and has high armor, shield,  belt so the cheese is not important here. His goal (in practically every game) is to strip you of your armor and then kill you quickly, BB is just the latest iteration. 

Even if you try to separate him from the BF with say walls, since it is not legendary, he runs two in his books (a total of 6 woping spell points) and just brings out another. Time is on his side....
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Alexander West

• Falconer
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2014, 01:03:52 PM »
I think you can see where the game is going. Unless he is running an very experimental deck it is just a very rough go at it. 30 or so games trying all manner of permutations and I still have nothing to beat a Wizard + Wizard Tower other than another Wizard and Wizard + Wizard Tower.

Wizard Tower is a very potent card, giving +1 mana per turn and +1 quick attack spell per round for only 7 mana.  It's main weakness is that it is fundamentally an aggressive card, since the attack spells a are mostly aggressive. (Arguably Geyser and Jet Stream have defensive uses.)  The card is at its best if your build is looking to press an advantage, but I would argue mediocre most of the time because casting an attack spell is not always the action you want to take.  Its other weakness is that its only slightly tougher than a mana crystal.

So what beats a Wizard Tower?  Cards that make attack spells a poorer strategic choice, or that covert mana to damage at a very efficient ratio to attack the tower.

In particular, I feel like Druid + Vine Tree is very effective against Wizard Tower.  Druid's regenerative abilities make her a very poor target for early game damage.  Without needing to spend many resources on defense, the Druid can spend nearly all of her mana playing a grindy game of creature based attrition with plants and maybe a bear or two.  The ability to Vine Summon allows the Druid to gain action/damage efficiency without having to sacrifice full actions, and without the usual spatial delay associated with a Spawnpoint.  Attack spells are a very mana inefficient way to fight creatures, and I have yet to see a match vs. Druid where I felt like Wizard's Tower was a good investment.

In general I feel like almost any Battleforge based strategy that is at least moderately defensive should also be good vs. Wizard Tower.  Other Spawnpoints also seem like they add the right sort of value vs. Wizard's Tower, though Battleforge is the only one that specifically makes Wizard's Tower weaker.

In general, I'm also not even certain that the efficiency of the Druid is required for a summoning based strategy or the positional advantage of a Vine Tree is required to overcome the Wizard's Tower with attrition.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 01:05:51 PM by Alexander West »
"He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes; he who does not is a fool for a lifetime."