April 26, 2024, 09:31:46 PM

Author Topic: 'Wizard's Castle' Turtling Strategy  (Read 12767 times)

Fentum

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
'Wizard's Castle' Turtling Strategy
« on: July 02, 2013, 11:56:42 AM »

I came up against a very nice turtling strategy using a few new cards. Gave me a hernia trying to think about how to beat it. Any and all ideas welcome!

The basic set up is

Wizard stays in home corner
Ballista
Mana Crystal
Mana Crystal
Iron Golem
Iron Golem
Wizard's Tower

Golems Guard
Ballista and Tower shoot.
Mage deals with any issues.

I was running an old school BM and figured Cervere might be helpful but the Mage was force holding her in place, tanglevining, etc.

Nasty business all round really.

cbalian

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: 'Wizard's Castle' Turtling Strategy
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 01:39:08 PM »
Hmm that does sound nasty.

Maybe force hammer that ballista/tower to get rid of those, or use zone wide AEs, or Chain Lightning might be fun to toss in the mix.

Maybe teleport mage out of his cozy home and send your pack of animals to tear him up.

TricksterHat

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 01:52:03 PM »
As a BM or in general?

As BM: Rush before its setup? Cat-attack wih bobcats Cervere and Makuna maybe?

Fentum

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 02:40:04 PM »
Thank you gentlemen.

The rush would be a good option, but he had that lot up in 3-4 turns. I had little guys rushing him by then, just to harass whatever he brought out. When he guarded with golems, my critters took out the mana crystals. I was thinking that would reduce his mana and put me ahead as ten points of his summoning would be dead and my critters would still be alive as 'blocks' or 'guard bait' later. Cervere was out and raring to go but was forceheld

Zone aoe would be great, but I wasn't packing many (any). My next move would be the teleport, but if he plays a wizard as I do, he would teleport straight back.

My general plan here would be to ignore everything and focus on Mage with elusive guys, or tele and tangle vine.

Problem is, ignoring the ballista and tower causes me a lot of damage.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 02:41:40 PM by Fentum »

Texan85

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • Game Free, or Die!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 03:18:28 PM »
Cheeta Speed the QC
Then teleport or Mage specific item depending if I have initiative.
When I dont have initiative I'd cast teleport as a quick cast after my second move and use a late QC to then open with initiative to pull the wizard to me.

If this is like a king castling in a corner IMO the best response is to rip him out of his corner, and force a wholesale change of strategy. And by hopefully putting him on a defensI've will shut down the strat.
Ipsa Scentia Potestes Est

Fentum

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 04:50:43 PM »
Cheeta Speed the QC
Then teleport or Mage specific item depending if I have initiative.
When I dont have initiative I'd cast teleport as a quick cast after my second move and use a late QC to then open with initiative to pull the wizard to me.

If this is like a king castling in a corner IMO the best response is to rip him out of his corner, and force a wholesale change of strategy. And by hopefully putting him on a defensI've will shut down the strat.

Agreed. Getting the wizard out of his castle is a good move. There is a fair bit of heavy flak coming your way in the process.

nitrodavid

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
    • East Coast Hobbies
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 08:32:33 PM »
back some reverse attacks.

both wizard tower and war machines are predictable, that is you know when they will attack. for machine it is every 2nd turn while tower is when wizard  gets enough spare mans. try to time your siege accordingly
Being Aussie we place all our cards face down, apart from enchantments which are face up

wolf88

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2013, 06:24:54 PM »
back some reverse attacks.

both wizard tower and war machines are predictable, that is you know when they will attack. for machine it is every 2nd turn while tower is when wizard  gets enough spare mans. try to time your siege accordingly

If you are pinned into the golem's nest already, it won't work. Arcane Zap takes care of that.

If you are 2 squares away it doesn't matter because the Ballista won't shoot you unless 100% sure of the shoot being beneficial.

What would help is Nullify to avoid being teleported.

You need position control. The golems cannot kite you because they are slow. Nullify is an excellent choicet to delay being teleported. Even if the Wizard Seeking Dispels it, he loses the second action needed to root you in place after a teleport.

nitrodavid

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
    • East Coast Hobbies
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2013, 10:00:52 PM »
the golems will be able to kite because most wizards bind charge magewand.

if you can remember can you tell me the actions he took each turn to get to that setup.
because it looks like a 50+mana setup implying it would take 4 turns at least. I thought you would surely be able to tele in a the cat (or equivalent lvl 4 creature) in turn 2 to disrupt his tempo.

for other mages teleport any elusive/flying creature. use enchantment to achieve this (lord of fire + mongoose agility)
Being Aussie we place all our cards face down, apart from enchantments which are face up

wolf88

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2013, 08:31:14 AM »
the golems will be able to kite because most wizards bind charge magewand.

if you can remember can you tell me the actions he took each turn to get to that setup.
because it looks like a 50+mana setup implying it would take 4 turns at least. I thought you would surely be able to tele in a the cat (or equivalent lvl 4 creature) in turn 2 to disrupt his tempo.

for other mages teleport any elusive/flying creature. use enchantment to achieve this (lord of fire + mongoose agility)

I'm the build's author so i can help you here :)

My "main" setup is 1st turn double crystal,

2nd turn golem, ballista

3rd turn Wizard's Tower (bind hurl rock) if the opponent deployed a flier or an elusive creature into my zone, Turn To Stone or Force hold (depends on the creature) otherwise either hold the mana or harmonize/pendant.

Then it depends on the boardstate.

If my opponent doesn't seem interested in leaving his square I take my time and instead of summoning a second turn golem I double engine the second turn too, with both harmonize and pendant. skip the tower and start summoning 1 golem per turn for 4 turns.

If i see a temple of light i hurl a meteor on it because i hate Temple of Light.

If instead I sense a rush happy opponent i might not use my engine at all and open the game with a Gorgon or Golem + Mage Wand

Wiz-Pig

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2013, 11:48:17 AM »
The best I can offer you is a quick move into to disrupt his build-up

Round 1: 19 mana-Move forward two squares and wait to quickcast until the final phase. QC-teleport for 6 mana bringing you within one zone of your opponent.

Round 2: 22 mana- Use your activation to cast Steelclaw Grizzly then immediately cast either Jinx on your opponent, nullify on your Steelclaw, or decoy on either.

Round 3: 10-14 mana- QC feral bobcat and move in to attack with your steelclaw and mage

Round 4: 12-16 mana- ??

wolf88

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2013, 02:11:02 PM »
That 1st round is broken Wiz-Pig. After running 2 squares you are at range 3 from the enemy mage so no teleport sorry.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2013, 02:19:19 PM »
I think what Wiz-Pig says will work as it will park you mage on the zone next to the opposing mages start zone. Then build the two critters (rds 2/3) and then attack rd 3 with mage and griz. The next round attack with the same + Bobcat. 
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

wolf88

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2013, 05:24:24 AM »
My fault, I misread the description. It might work but you need a plan to deal with the Iron Golems i'll keep summoning. Assuming I went with the "slow" start i can cast a guaranteed golem the second turn (if you enchant me i'll cast another spell before it, just in case) and yet another in the third and another one (or an Earth elemental) in the fourth. Coupled with Voltaric shield when it counts, i can apply the beatdown way faster. That is exactly how I want you to play against me.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2013, 09:11:57 AM »
My fault, I misread the description. It might work but you need a plan to deal with the Iron Golems i'll keep summoning. Assuming I went with the "slow" start i can cast a guaranteed golem the second turn (if you enchant me i'll cast another spell before it, just in case) and yet another in the third and another one (or an Earth elemental) in the fourth. Coupled with Voltaric shield when it counts, i can apply the beatdown way faster. That is exactly how I want you to play against me.

Once you pay for voltaic shield, you will not be able to summon another Golem. With the three actions to your two, he can make sure the grizzly goes last and shreds your mage, if you try to run, the Golem is slow. If it were me on round 4 he moves the mage one zone out and teleports your Golem(s) three zones away. I would think very hard about getting stuck in a corner with a Grizzly with no armor.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest