April 28, 2024, 03:35:55 PM

Author Topic: Kumanjaro Tactical Review  (Read 4379 times)

reddawn

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
Kumanjaro Tactical Review
« on: July 11, 2013, 08:48:03 PM »
Just my take on the cards in the Kumanjaro expansion that I have experience with thus far:

Dire Wolf: very, very good.  Adds a keener edge to Redclaw openings, and makes for a very powerful Pet.  Regularly rolling for 6-7 dice + 50% Bleed is no joke, and it has as much hp and even more armor than Adramelech with Redclaw around :o.  Won't help you against powerful non-living guards like Golems, but you can't have everything in life I guess.

Giant Wolf Spider: I used in a controlling Warlock build so far and it's been good.  Being able to restrain creatures every turn is solid, but it works best in combination with other restraining effects, because some turns you need the extra chance for Tainted, or need the Spider to guard with its considerable bulk.

Guardian Angel:  As you might expect, it's a rather good guard.  Very hard to kill, between the defense and Aegis 1.  I find that its Flying trait is a little misleading, though, because it is pretty much always going to be on guard.  Restraining it is easier than you think.  Definitely pulls its weight in its role, but it's not nearly as intimidating to swing into as a Knight. 

Makunda: I've only tried him once, in an effort to do a cat tribal opening, but at least at the moment, I don't think cat tribal is viable on the offense like dog tribal is.  Piercing +1 isn't a good enough reason to summon cats, and the cats that we currently have access to are situational.  I could see Makunda being a good opening as part of a non-tribal pair or group of large animals, but don't try to force cat tribal.  It just ain't there yet.

Healing Charm:  Useful spell.  It's not a substitute for more efficient healing spells like Minor Heal, but it's a nice surprise.  I'll take 1 less die for the opportunity to bluff (even though I usually suck at bluffing)  :'(

Drain Soul:  Probably about as close to a "kill" spell as Mage Wars is going to get.  Really makes control Warlock much better, honestly, especially because I'm not a big fan of Drain Life.  It allows you to make a Blood Reaper without hesitation, and the life gain can't be simply removed like Bull Endurance can.  You're probably not going to be able to cast it more than once or twice a game, even with extra channeling, but when you do, you'll really appreciate the 12 point life swing.

Priest of Malakai:  Definitely a good mage.  For those of you used to playing against the Priestess and her relatively lower dice count, you're going to develop a grudging respect for Holy Avenger.  Holy Avenger plays similarly to how Invisible Stalker plays, interestingly, since your opponent will usually wait until near the end of the round to swing with it so that the buff can be in effect.  Knight of Westlock makes arguably the best one, and easily rolls 7-9 dice with little mana investment, which is very intimidating.

The times I have underestimated Holy Avenger, I've severely regretted it.  Really, do your best to avoid it attacking your important creatures; anticipate and manipulate creature activations as best you can, because there are very few creatures that can withstand consecutive Avenger swings.

Well that's it for now.  I'll post more when I play with the other stuff. 
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 03:54:22 PM by reddawn »
  • Favourite Mage: Arraxian Crown Warlock

The Dude

• Hitchhiker of sorts
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
  • It's like... good gracious...bodacious.
    • View Profile
Re: Kumanjaro Tactical Review
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 03:52:48 PM »
Giant Wolf Spider + Archer's Tower + Sniper + Rouse = Dominance of the most awesome kind.
  • Favourite Mage: Johktari Beastmaster
Always carry a towel...

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 04:19:30 PM »
Isn't tower restricted to soldiers?
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

reddawn

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 04:44:16 PM »
Isn't tower restricted to soldiers?

I think he means the Sniper?  ???

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 04:48:23 PM »
Derp, yes, of course.
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

dexmark

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 01:44:45 AM »
I like this release.

Played the Beast Mistress. Cool abilities. That Wound Marker is really cool. All small creatures hit hard with the Wound Marker. Her range +1 with the Hawkeye rocks.  Best strategy with her - mass swarm. The Dire wolf is so solid.

Haven't played the priest yet. But soon.

All the cards that came in the release - rocks..

The cards that I may not use much is the Makunda card and transfusion enchantment yet because they are very pricey to use. Overall I like the release a lot - too many good cards to use.

reddawn

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 05:50:40 PM »
update:

Makunda: My feeling about Makunda being much better without forcing cat tribal was correct.  He's a lot better if you're using him to kill other creatures than if you're using him to kill the opposing mage.  Bleeds are fine on a mage, but they're a lot better on creatures.  Fits well with big cats (particularly male ones) being solitary hunters.

Johktari Beastmaster: Had trouble playing her at first because I tried to force her to do aggro, which she just doesn't do as well as the Straywood BM.  She is a lot more about killing opposing creatures and control, which Wounded Prey helps out with a bunch.  Her Sprint is also good for getting away from enemies, usually once you've webbed them with Spiders or Tanglevine.  Now the nature school has an aggro and a control Beastmaster, which is cool.

Hunting Bow:  Disappointing, honestly.  I guess it lets the nature school have access to ranged dice, which is ok, but I just don't find enough opportunities to spend a full action to attack with it to actually make casting it worth it.  At 11 mana and 2 actions, I can have another Dire Wolf, or Emerald Tegu/Timber Wolf + Rouse the Beast, etc, and I still get extra dice from Wounded Prey.  Using a Full Action to attack with it also has a lack of synergy with her Sprinting.

I guess it's probably meant to be just a flavorful card, but after playing it several times and not feeling it carry its weight, it's going back on the shelf.