April 28, 2024, 09:00:47 PM

Author Topic: Reel 'em in!!!  (Read 20428 times)

MrSaucy

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
Reel 'em in!!!
« on: June 18, 2013, 05:18:33 AM »
I have recently played several games with the Forcemaster (my new favorite). One thing that was crucial to all of these games was getting the opponent mage into my zone... and keeping them there! Here are my thoughts on this.

In most cases the opponent mage will be either 2 zones away, 1 zone away, or in the same zone as your FM.

Case 1:

When they are 2 zones away, the best option is to use Teleport to move them to your zone. Then you can get a doublestrike in with Galvitar. If you are out of Teleport, the next best spell to use is Force Bash. This won't move them all the way into your zone, but it will move them 1 zone closer and incapacitate them, preventing them from moving further away. If you are out of Teleport and Force Bash, then just use Force Pull to move them 1 zone towards you.

Case 2:

When they are 1 zone away, the go-to spell should be Force Bash. Otherwise, use Force Pull. Force Bash is the go-to instead of Force Pull because it incapacitates the opponent mage, preventing them from moving away.

Case 3:

When they are in the same zone as your FM, you might feel like you don't have a job to do. However, you should do all you can to KEEP them there. The go-to spell for this situation is simply Knockdown. If you are out of Knockdown, use Force Hold instead.

So anyways, this is how I think when it comes to reeling the enemy mage in for punishment. Consequently, Teleport, Force Bash, and Force Pull are some of my most-used spells.
"See you space cowboy..."

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
Re: Reel 'em in!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 05:33:27 AM »
I dont have the cards in front of me.... but dont force bash give a slam token?

If thats the case then you dont prevent anything from moving... Consider slam a stronger version of daze.
In fact consider it a daze that also removes flying, guard and defenses until the creature is activated.
When the creature is activated replace slam with a daze token and then the creature is free to take whatever action it wants including moving.

The way you put it, it sounds (to me atleast) like you misunderstood slam and knockdown.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 05:36:39 AM by jacksmack »

nitrodavid

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
    • East Coast Hobbies
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 05:56:23 AM »
force bash gives the Slam condition, which incapacitates them until the start of there action phase. this means that while slammed a creature can't use defenses or guards and is not flying. at the start of that creatures action phase slam converted to daze, which means a creature could still move away (if 1 zone they would also be unhindered).

Note that while a mage is incapacitated (ie the quick cast action) the mage can still cast a quick non-attack spell. so you could knockdown the opposing mage, they can then choose to teleport/forcepush them selves with there quick cast and then start there action phase by removing slam to daze.
Being Aussie we place all our cards face down, apart from enchantments which are face up

szendroib

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 05:59:25 AM »
Let's talk about slam than:). I might play it wrong but slam says target is incapacitated. Incapacitated means that when he is activated (if a creature) it misses its turn, you just flip its activation token over:

"An Incapacitated creature still takes an Action Phase during the round, but it cannot perform any actions during its Action Phase (normally, the action marker is simply flipped over)."

Wouldn't it mean that when a slammed creature gets it's turn, you flip it's activation token, he misses his turn, and than it gets dazed for the next round? The codex doesn't really go deep into this, so which way do we use it?

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 06:04:57 AM »
Let's talk about slam than:). I might play it wrong but slam says target is incapacitated. Incapacitated means that when he is activated (if a creature) it misses its turn, you just flip its activation token over:

"An Incapacitated creature still takes an Action Phase during the round, but it cannot perform any actions during its Action Phase (normally, the action marker is simply flipped over)."

Wouldn't it mean that when a slammed creature gets it's turn, you flip it's activation token, he misses his turn, and than it gets dazed for the next round? The codex doesn't really go deep into this, so which way do we use it?

check the codex from ForcemastervsWarlord.

Unfortunately i cannot check it because im at work.
But i believe that Slam is described something like this:
At the beginning of the creatures action phase replace slam with a daze.
This makes the creature dazed during this action phase. And at the end of the action phase remove all daze counters.
So it can move, attack, guard etc only being subject to daze.

szendroib

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 06:08:35 AM »
Yeah I read it, but thought he won't be able to do anything that turn:). So slam is a glorified daze than, that could be removed right away if the enemy hasn't activated that creature this turn yet. Thank you for the clarification, so much to learn:)

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 06:12:27 AM »
Yeah I read it, but thought he won't be able to do anything that turn:). So slam is a glorified daze than, that could be removed right away if the enemy hasn't activated that creature this turn yet. Thank you for the clarification, so much to learn:)

yes. But you still get the luxuary of it being dazed - sometimes this is enough.

If its a flying creature that you want to attack with ground forces, then you wanna wait till it HAS activated this round in order for slam to last until next round thus making ground forces able to attack it this round.
A unit with defense(s) likewise.

nitrodavid

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
    • East Coast Hobbies
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 06:14:48 AM »

from Forcemaster warloard rule book

Slam: Creature is incapacitated. when this creature is activated remove slam and replace with a Daze condition. unmovable creatures receive a Daze condition instead of Slam. has removla cost of 8.

so Slam incapacitates the creature but the incapacitate is removed before the turn. the creature does not loose it's turn if it has been Slamed.

Note Slam and Stun and Daze are conditions and are resolved in different ways. while Incapacitate is an effect which is controlled by a condition.
Being Aussie we place all our cards face down, apart from enchantments which are face up

MrSaucy

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2013, 03:44:07 PM »
"Slam
Creature is Incapacitated. When this creature is
activated remove Slam and replace with a Daze condition.
Unmovable creatures receive a Daze condition instead of
Slam."

"Incapacitated
An Incapacitated creature cannot take any actions, including moving, attacking,..."

The mage can still cast certain spells, but the point is they can't move away from you.

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2013, 04:40:29 PM »
"Slam
Slam."

"Incapacitated
An Incapacitated creature cannot take any actions, including moving, attacking,..."

The mage can still cast certain spells, but the point is they can't move away from you.

wtf?

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2013, 05:13:40 PM »
"Slam
Slam."

"Incapacitated

They are not incapacitated during their activation for Slam or Knockdown, just until the beginning of their activation. Otherwise Knockdown would single handedly shut down the Forcemaster...
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

nitrodavid

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
    • East Coast Hobbies
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2013, 08:59:01 PM »
if it lasted the action you knock down bound to mage wand, have enough mana to cast it every turn. and unless other mage has purify or nullufy/reverse you stun them indefinatly. that's why it does not last through action phase, no reusable spell should ever stun 100%. currently mind control stuns 100% but it is not permanent

MrSaucy

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2013, 01:38:03 AM »
"Slam
Slam."

"Incapacitated

They are not incapacitated during their activation for Slam or Knockdown, just until the beginning of their activation. Otherwise Knockdown would single handedly shut down the Forcemaster...

That moment when you realize you have been playing a card incorrectly... and everybody you have been playing with has been making the same mistake...

Alrighty then. That certainly changes things  :-[

MrSaucy

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2013, 01:40:46 AM »
This reminds me of a person I played with just the other day. They tried to use Teleport to move themselves across the entire arena. I had to explain to them that the target creature and the target zone must both be within 0-2 zones away. He felt pretty stupid. Now I know how he felt  ;D

I overlooked that part "or until activation... whichever comes first" part.

Edit: I forgot to mention that the guy who tried to teleport tried to do so across 6 zones.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 11:14:12 AM by MrSaucy »

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2013, 01:49:45 AM »
Yeah, if I missed that part, I would have been running 6 Knockdowns in all of my builds.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster