April 28, 2024, 03:21:33 PM

Author Topic: Reel 'em in!!!  (Read 20427 times)

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Reel 'em in!!!
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2013, 12:57:19 PM »
Everybody good now?
 8)
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2013, 01:07:44 PM »
Everybody good now?
 8)

Good but sad
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

MrSaucy

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2013, 01:23:32 PM »
Teleport is still extremely useful. It is one of those spells I run in every spellbook (except for Warlord... darn that triple arcane cost!!!) The strength in Teleport lies in its versatility.

And when I said paying to Teleport yourself across the arena (an illegal move) was cheap, I didn't mean "cheap" as in mana... I meant "cheap" as in a little unfair.

Does that mean I think Divine Intervention is a little cheap? Perhaps. But at least Divine Intervention is balanced by the facts that you can only run one of them in your spellbook and it is a one time deal. Teleport, however, can be used extensively with the aid of a Mage Wand and you can run up to 6 in your spellbook.
"See you space cowboy..."

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2013, 02:06:50 PM »
You can run up to 4 in your spellbook, but Thoughtspore/Mage Wand let you cast them repeatedly, so your main point stands.

I run at least 1, usually 2 Teleports in all non-Wizard builds. In my Earth Wizard build I'm running 4, and in my Fire Wizard build I'm running 3. They are still the most versatile/efficient position control in the game (aside from Divine Intervention which is Epic and Priestess only).
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

Fentum

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2013, 04:55:59 PM »
SURELY every Wizard has four teleports at the very top of the book? Plus a nice shiny wand for them to be bound to?

I don't want to be too controversial given all he recent love for Bim, but in my book, teleport goes first, with Bim a distant, though still very good, second.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 04:58:12 PM by Fentum »

MrSaucy

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2013, 06:06:32 PM »
SURELY every Wizard has four teleports at the very top of the book? Plus a nice shiny wand for them to be bound to?

I don't want to be too controversial given all he recent love for Bim, but in my book, teleport goes first, with Bim a distant, though still very good, second.

Am I the only one who feels like the Wizard has an unfair advantage when it comes to including "mandatory" spells in his spellbook? since many of these spells are Arcane? Seeking Dispel, Dispel, Teleport, Nullify. Very common spells. All Arcane.

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2013, 11:12:21 PM »
On the other hand, the Wizard has the worst melee options in the game, and all of his in school big creatures are slow, so he needs way more position control to function properly.

I'll agree that Teleport is the most generally versatile, universally strong card in the game, but that doesn't mean that every Wizard necessarily needs 4. My Fire Wizard runs 4 Force Push and 3 Teleports (I really like Wall of Thorns in that build). I don't run Mage Wand in that build because the build is much too aggressive for wands. When I first put the build together, I included Elemental and Mage Wands, but after playing 4 games with it, I realized that I would never actually use those cards, so I pulled them out.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

MrSaucy

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2013, 02:40:39 AM »
When I first put the build together, I included Elemental and Mage Wands, but after playing 4 games with it, I realized that I would never actually use those cards, so I pulled them out.

I have been doing the same lately. I used to always run Mage Wand but then I realized that I never had to use it. So I just started taking it out of my builds. Haven't really missed it. I guess it is because I like to mix up my incantations and be as unpredictable as possible. Don't like relying on wands either because all it takes is 1 dissolve and poof... no more wand.

Fentum

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2013, 09:46:34 AM »
This is all interesting stuff.

I tend to build my Wizard with TWO Mage wands. 4 teleports. Fairly arcane creature heavy. Have him moving his own creatures and / or enemies for lots of position control. Also mix in teleport traps. The elemental wand is in there too, coming in with lightning bolt in the mid to end game. Creatures are gorgon, basilisk, hydra, iron golem.

Essentially it is hold the enemy in place whilst crippling and weakening them. The wand seems to work well for that. I run nullify on the Mage to protect it and have a second on standby. Not too expensive n a build with mostly arcane. Spells.

MrSaucy

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2013, 03:56:02 PM »
This is all interesting stuff.

I tend to build my Wizard with TWO Mage wands. 4 teleports. Fairly arcane creature heavy. Have him moving his own creatures and / or enemies for lots of position control. Also mix in teleport traps. The elemental wand is in there too, coming in with lightning bolt in the mid to end game. Creatures are gorgon, basilisk, hydra, iron golem.

Essentially it is hold the enemy in place whilst crippling and weakening them. The wand seems to work well for that. I run nullify on the Mage to protect it and have a second on standby. Not too expensive n a build with mostly arcane. Spells.

Right. That is Wizard though. When I play Wizard I have Elemental Wands and Mage Wands in my spellbook, but otherwise I never tend to use Mage Wands.

nitrodavid

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
    • East Coast Hobbies
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2013, 06:36:18 PM »
if only the wizard had a cheap reliable source of restrain. sure stone gaze but that's only cripple 1/2 time. hydra + tangle vine is a good combo if you have the points for it run 4 vines. quick sand has the same book cost but the mana required is very high compared to tangle for larger creatures (mage would cost 12). most efficient solution is to use the promo card stumble to keep creatures still for 1 turn.

if you manage to keep something in the same zone as hydra you can still get 9 dice on unarmoured creature
Being Aussie we place all our cards face down, apart from enchantments which are face up

Fentum

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2013, 06:47:14 PM »
if only the wizard had a cheap reliable source of restrain. sure stone gaze but that's only cripple 1/2 time. hydra + tangle vine is a good combo if you have the points for it run 4 vines. quick sand has the same book cost but the mana required is very high compared to tangle for larger creatures (mage would cost 12). most efficient solution is to use the promo card stumble to keep creatures still for 1 turn.

if you manage to keep something in the same zone as hydra you can still get 9 dice on unarmoured creature

I'm not feeling much love for the Hydra right now. Most creatures I face have armour so 3 dice are not cutting much mustard, even x3.

nitrodavid

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
    • East Coast Hobbies
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2013, 07:28:58 PM »
try adding a piercing strike to the combo. unlike +melee, +piercing effects every double/triple strike. so you can reduce the armour by 3. best thing is they will likely leave an armoured creature next to hydra because they think its useless. reduce there armour by 3 then see who's useless now. and as a novice spell and 2 mana you can safely spam these on mage or bird. very few creatures have more then 3 armour. note do this combo once and hope you pack some dispel because an agony is coming.
Being Aussie we place all our cards face down, apart from enchantments which are face up

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2013, 07:33:36 PM »
try adding a piercing strike to the combo. unlike +melee, +piercing effects every double/triple strike. so you can reduce the armour by 3. best thing is they will likely leave an armoured creature next to hydra because they think its useless. reduce there armour by 3 then see who's useless now. and as a novice spell and 2 mana you can safely spam these on mage or bird. very few creatures have more then 3 armour. note do this combo once and hope you pack some dispel because an agony is coming.

piercing strike only Works for the first hit in tripple strike.

nitrodavid

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
    • East Coast Hobbies
« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2013, 08:01:13 PM »
rule book codex for +melee and +piercing.

+ melee : .........if the attack makes multiple attacks against the same or different objects it only gains the bonus for the first attack......

+piercing: this attack subtracts x from targets armour when determining damage dealt......

key note is piercing dies not limit the effect for first attack so therefore it can be used for all multi hits. unless I missed a wording in the FAQ which I already searched through.

so placing +3 pierce on hydra will reduce the armour of opponent by 3 then triple that new armour value.

note incantations like sniper shot specifically say on card "effects only first target"