April 29, 2024, 02:08:01 AM

Author Topic: Reel 'em in!!!  (Read 20430 times)

MrSaucy

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
Re: Reel 'em in!!!
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2013, 01:51:16 AM »
Should I just delete this thread or keep it up as a learning experience?

Also, now I am thinking that cards like Knockdown and Force Bash really aren't that great...
"See you space cowboy..."

Fentum

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2013, 01:56:29 AM »
They are good to cast in the current round as long as you have creatures ready to take maximum advantage, you Saucy devil.

MrSaucy

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2013, 02:11:06 AM »
Wait... what is the point of incapacitation preventing a creature from taking actions when the effect of spells like Knockdown, as I have just learned, expires BEFORE an unactivated creature takes an action? I must be missing something here. Is this just the deal with Knockdown? Or does this apply to Force Bash as well?

« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 02:16:32 AM by MrSaucy »

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2013, 02:18:11 AM »
wait... what is the point of incapacitation preventing a creature from taking actions when the effect of spells like Knockdown, as I have just learned, expires BEFORE an unactivated creature takes an action? I must be missing something here...

Incapacitation also prevents using defenses, flight, counterattacks, guarding, hindering and so on as well. 

I like to use force Bash to slam one flier into another flier, which causes both of them to slam and thus both lose flying...then Sweep+Dancing Scimitar them to death.

It basically serves as an "ability strip" to open up your attacks, or let you bypass a creature and its defenses until its activated.

MrSaucy

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2013, 02:22:56 AM »
wait... what is the point of incapacitation preventing a creature from taking actions when the effect of spells like Knockdown, as I have just learned, expires BEFORE an unactivated creature takes an action? I must be missing something here...

Incapacitation also prevents using defenses, flight, counterattacks, guarding, hindering and so on as well. 

I like to use force Bash to slam one flier into another flier, which causes both of them to slam and thus both lose flying...then Sweep+Dancing Scimitar them to death.

It basically serves as an "ability strip" to open up your attacks, or let you bypass a creature and its defenses until its activated.

Yeah, that all makes sense. So really spells that incapacitate, like Knockdown, are more valuable when you have the initiative, right? Then you can use your QC to Knockdown a flier, the opponent gets their QC turn, and then you can attack the grounded flyer. Otherwise, if you didn't have the initiative, they could activate the flyer you cast Knockdown on... meaning Knockdown didn't really do anything.

Also, the one ability it doesn't strip is damage barriers, which makes sense I guess.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 02:24:57 AM by MrSaucy »

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2013, 02:30:18 AM »

Yeah, that all makes sense. So really spells that incapacitate, like Knockdown, are more valuable when you have the initiative, right? Then you can use your QC to Knockdown a flier, the opponent gets their QC turn, and then you can attack the grounded flyer. Otherwise, if you didn't have the initiative, they could activate the flyer you cast Knockdown on... meaning Knockdown didn't really do anything.

Also, the one ability it doesn't strip is damage barriers, which makes sense I guess.
They work best when used during the main phase, not during the quickcast phases.  You can just quickcast right before the activation you want to capitalize on (the attack on the creature, or when you want to move past it).  then that creature stays that way until the opponent decides to activate it (which could vary depending on the target, the number of creatures he has and the overall arena situation at the moment)

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2013, 02:32:54 AM »
If they activate the creature early in a round, you can incapacitate them for the rest of the round so that you can land a second attack if necessary, but yes, it makes more sense to use Knockdown/Force Bash right before making the first attack you want to capitalize on.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

MrSaucy

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2013, 02:44:51 AM »
Alrighty then. Thanks you guys.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2013, 08:23:08 AM »
the target creature and the target zone must both be within 0-2 zones away

I do no think the target zone has to be 0-2 I think the zone that the target creature is in. The target zone has to be in LOS but can be anywhere on the board. Otherwise it is quite a useless spell. Well not useless....would run all Divine Interventions if that was the case.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Tanto89

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2013, 09:07:03 AM »
the target creature and the target zone must both be within 0-2 zones away

I do no think the target zone has to be 0-2 I think the zone that the target creature is in. The target zone has to be in LOS but can be anywhere on the board. Otherwise it is quite a useless spell. Well not useless....would run all Divine Interventions if that was the case.

The target criteria for Teleport incantation is '0-2' 'Creature & Zone'

The first line of the card states the targeted creature is moved to the targeted zone.

If I understand your assertion, I do not believe it is correct:

It means that the casting mage must have LOS and range to the target Creature and the target Zone determined individually relative to the casting mage.

Therefore the farthest this spell could teleport the target Creature is 4 total zones, and in order to do that the casting mage would need to be 2 zones away from the target Creature and the target Zone.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 10:53:23 AM by Tanto89 »

MrSaucy

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2013, 11:10:37 AM »
The way I read Teleport is that you pick a target zone and a target creature. It says "0-2 Creature & Zone" which leads me to believe:
1) the target creature has to be 0-2 zones away, and
2) the target zone you are moving the target creature to has to be 0-2 zones away from the target creature

So basically what Tanto89 said.

Regardless, you definitely cannot use Teleport to move yourself 5-6 zones. That would be cheap.

Sorry for not being clear with my original statement.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 11:18:49 AM by MrSaucy »

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2013, 11:57:13 AM »
Regardless, you definitely cannot use Teleport to move yourself 5-6 zones. That would be cheap.

Range: You may only cast a spell at a target that is in range. Range is always listed as a minimum and a
maximum. If the target is too close or too far away, you cannot cast the spell.

Target: Every spell must be cast at a target. You may select the target only if it matches the requirements listed
on the spell you are casting. Some spells may target objects with particular traits or subtypes.

Target creature is Teleported to the target zone. X = 3 mana per zone moved away from its current zone. You must pay at least 3 mana even if the target is teleported to the same zone. This does not count as a move action for the creature.

All of the evidence says yes. Looks like I drop a teleport for another Divine Intervention. 

Is the target Zone from the casting mage or the creature. I understand the Mana cost is the number of zones the creature moves.

The more I have learned about Teleport the less and less I like it. 15 Mana to get across the board is not cheap btw.

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2013, 12:16:20 PM »

Range: You may only cast a spell at a target that is in range. Range is always listed as a minimum and a
maximum. If the target is too close or too far away, you cannot cast the spell.

Target: Every spell must be cast at a target. You may select the target only if it matches the requirements listed
on the spell you are casting. Some spells may target objects with particular traits or subtypes.

Target creature is Teleported to the target zone. X = 3 mana per zone moved away from its current zone. You must pay at least 3 mana even if the target is teleported to the same zone. This does not count as a move action for the creature.

All of the evidence says yes. Looks like I drop a teleport for another Divine Intervention. 

Is the target Zone from the casting mage or the creature. I understand the Mana cost is the number of zones the creature moves.

The more I have learned about Teleport the less and less I like it. 15 Mana to get across the board is not cheap btw.

You are really complicating teleport.

Tanto described it very well, and all i can add is:

DI is priestess only so its not an option for most of the mages.
DI is epic, so you can only add one in your book.
If you teleport yourself it will be a maximum of 2 zones.
You can teleport the target to the same zone if you wish (in order to remove tanglevine) but you still pay 3 mana because thats minimum.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2013, 12:21:44 PM »
So much minutia to the game, I am still learning after owning for 6 months.  Sigth and sigh Di and Tele (Tele is really useless other than Tanglevine etc...)

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2013, 12:33:41 PM »
So much minutia to the game, I am still learning after owning for 6 months.  Sigth and sigh Di and Tele (Tele is really useless other than Tanglevine etc...)

Teleport has many uses:

Get the opponent mage to the zone you want him to be in.

Escape creatures and getting rid of hindering with a QC before your activation phase.

Move a creature to the other side of a wall if the caster has vision to both sides of the wall (huginn or your mage if positioned correct).

Skip a trap you suspect to be a teleport trap.

Get out of quicksand (currently its the only garuenteed way).

Teleport slow creatures away from your side of the board making them spend several rounds getting back in the fight unless your opponenent chooses to spend actions and mana getting them back.

Teleport creatures with regen away from hindering enemies and make the creature take a few steps further away by itself.

Take that gorgon Archer out of tanglevine and put it in a better position where it can do its ranged attack.

etc etc.

With all the spellbooks i have made only one had 0 teleports... and thats because i was out of copies tbh.