April 29, 2024, 05:53:42 AM

Author Topic: Helm of Fear  (Read 23045 times)

Cyborgs Gaming

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Helm of Fear
« on: April 25, 2013, 08:06:20 PM »
Lately I've been more interested in playing the Warlock.  I think I have a pretty good spell book put together, but it is hard to really say since only one person locally has as much experience at Mage Wars as I do.  I haven't found any way whatsoever that Helm of Fear is even useable, let alone a good choice.  Has anyone gotten any good use out of it?  Does anyone use it at all?  It seems severely underpowered to me.  There are a lot more efficient ways to accomplish the same thing or get much better effects for the same or lower cost, and these are spells that are usable by all the mages.  only a 1 in 4 chance of the Helm working and even then the attacker can re-target the attack.  It only works on melee attacks and it is rather expensive to cast.  It doesn't even work on all melee attacks or counterstrike.  Normally when I see something that is specific to a particular mage only I expect it to be very useful.  Here I just find it to be a waste of mana.  Any countering views are do most agree with me here?

reddawn

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
Re: Helm of Fear
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 09:08:26 PM »
Helm of Fear is really meant more for very controlling Warlock builds, where you can see it pay off over a longer period of time. It essentially functions as an infinite defense, but is arguably better in that context since it is one of only two spells (the other being Forcefield) that can stop Unavoidable attacks, which can be a nightmare for control builds.

Of course, the additional benefit is that you can also have Deflection Bracers AND the Helm equipped for a pretty solid chance to avoid an attack no matter the situation, since one activates in the declare attack step while the other activates during the avoid attack step.  As it's an equipment, you can still lean on the Battleforge as your main mana/action advantage conjuration.

That said, it's not something you just throw out there like the Whip and expect it to be good.  You should use it mostly against more mid-late game Beastmaster and Warlord builds, which can gain a massive action advantage via hordes (which you're going to inevitably face since, as a very controlling Warlock, you've conceded your early game).
  • Favourite Mage: Arraxian Crown Warlock

Tacullu64

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 09:11:44 PM »
The advantage is that it works against unavoidable melee attacks too. The only other card that counters unavoidable melee attacks right now is the Forcemaster's Forcefield. I will leave it up to you to decide if that makes it worth using. I'm not sure and I don't play warlock much anyways. I'm pretty sure aggressive Warlock builds have better things to spend their mana on.

Cyborgs Gaming

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 09:49:55 PM »
hmm, didn't realize it worked against "unavoidable" attacks.  I thought unavoidable attacks were... unavoidable.  Guess I was wrong.  False advertisment there.

DarthDadaD20

• Dark Father of Random Occurrence/TeamRocket Grunt
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 09:52:47 PM »
Helm of Fear is amazing....if you dont put that in a warlock book....you better have something else thats "amazinger" to replace it.....I dissolve that thing the seconded I see it. It has its down sides, mainly that Invisible stalker, Iron golem, earth elemental, and undead ect. bypass it.

but have that, and some deflection bracers, or a orb/sword (The defense enchantments) and the warlock becomes as hard to hit as the forcemaster.
Where does my greatest enemy lie?
It has been around since the dawn of time,
it follows your loved ones as well as mine,
takes the form of a mountain as well as a flower,
it cannot be outrun by the greatest of power.
Within Shad0w.

reddawn

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 10:09:17 PM »
I wouldn't call the Helm amazing...it's good with a heavy DoT control (Malacoda, Skeletal Sentries, Idol, Poison Gas Cloud, lots of Ghoul Rot, etc) build as a top-curve equip but beyond that I never put it in my book.  Now Sectarus, on the other hand, is really starting to shine as the Warlock's universally best equipment.  Combine it with a spawnpoint and the action advantage is insane, and you don't have to worry about elemental resistance like you do with the Whip.  Though, for pure damage, I don't think anything competes with the Whip.
  • Favourite Mage: Arraxian Crown Warlock

DarthDadaD20

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 12:22:12 AM »
against a solo mage....helm is amazing. Its only a 8+ (I believe) but thats a 8+ on top of any other defenses for that attack....not to mention that its not ready/used ability....plus...what other helm are you going to use for the warlock??
Within Shad0w.

DarthDadaD20

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 12:26:48 AM »
Quote from: "Cyborgs Gaming" post=11786
hmm, didn't realize it worked against "unavoidable" attacks.  I thought unavoidable attacks were... unavoidable.  Guess I was wrong.  False advertisment there.

INB4 anyone ask.
Unavoidable means "Bypassing defenses", and Helms ability is not a defense. Just a "Counter" like ability.
Within Shad0w.

Cyborgs Gaming

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 12:30:33 AM »
Well, I've been convinced that the helm is very much usable.  Now that I think about it also, I only use a few creatures in my Warlock build.  If I'm not using creatures it makes it even better.  I think now maybe I'll see about replacing something else with that.  It certainly isn't as important as the ring of curses, ring of fire, that awesome damage barrier armor, the sword, or that amulet.  I can see now that it is worth having at least.  Even if it doesn't actually get used.

DarthDadaD20

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 12:36:54 AM »
I know I hate to play against it.....maybe the warlock in my group is just lucky....but I hate that card...
Within Shad0w.

dexmark

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2013, 02:22:02 AM »
None of the magewars defenses work against my spellbook anymore (especially my Wizard or Warlock deck). I just use direct damage for the most part or also known as upkeep damages.

If I see the Helm of Fear, I would probably dissove it but better yet if I am playing warlock versus warlock I would Explode it (Incantation).

Most of my game play I don't see it in anybodys spellbook. I don't even put it in mine. For the mana, I would just use other armor enchants or leather boots and gloves.

DarthDadaD20

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2013, 07:40:05 AM »
Im not going to lie...that surprises me. Then again, I most see the warlock as a solo mage, who has a battle forge, and tons of mana to spare.

Even then...I think is a great card.
Within Shad0w.

Koz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2013, 10:22:56 AM »
Quote from: "DarthDadaD20" post=11800
against a solo mage....helm is amazing. Its only a 8+ (I believe) but thats a 8+ on top of any other defenses for that attack....not to mention that its not ready/used ability....plus...what other helm are you going to use for the warlock??

Does anyone actually play a true "solo mage" build anymore?  Absolutely worst build, hands down.  Way too easy to counter and shut down.

Tacullu64

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2013, 11:28:12 AM »
Quote from: "Koz" post=11822

Does anyone actually play a true "solo mage" build anymore?  Absolutely worst build, hands down.  Way too easy to counter and shut down.

Personally I don't care for solo mage. The solo mage really appeals to some though, especially those just playing for fun who don't care if their build can win a tournament or not.

Koz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2013, 11:45:25 AM »
Quote from: "Tacullu64" post=11825
Quote from: "Koz" post=11822

Personally I don't care for solo mage. The solo mage really appeals to some though, especially those just playing for fun who don't care if their build can win a tournament or not.

True enough, and I didn't mean to come off as condescending or anything to any group that doesn't play competitively.  I guess if you don't have at least one competitive player in your group, you can play all the "fun" builds you want and have a blast.  

But I'd guess that anyone playing a solo-mage build isn't playing against too many Daze/Stun lock builds or any Weak/Cripple builds.  Or, if they are, they sure aren't having much fun  ;)