April 29, 2024, 07:06:28 AM

Author Topic: Helm of Fear  (Read 23046 times)

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Helm of Fear
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2013, 12:58:35 PM »
Currently the meta is solo style Mage + 1-2 threat creatures are the strongest builds. This may change as we move closer to convention season.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

DarthDadaD20

• Dark Father of Random Occurrence/TeamRocket Grunt
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2013, 01:21:41 PM »
^ Thats what I thought....Bashcon was taken by a solo warlock (That includes 1-2 threats....by definition of the build, I guess I should of said that?) So I dont know why solo mage is being dismissed as "Non-competitive."

Also...I would call my forcemaster build with a invisible stalker and four thoughtspores a "Solo mage build" because thats what it is.

I dont mean to sound like a jerk (Or Im clarifying that Im not being a jerk rather).....but what meta are you guys playing in that a solo mage build is not considered competitive???
Where does my greatest enemy lie?
It has been around since the dawn of time,
it follows your loved ones as well as mine,
takes the form of a mountain as well as a flower,
it cannot be outrun by the greatest of power.
Within Shad0w.

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2013, 01:52:00 PM »
If you're using creatures, it's not a solo build.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

Koz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2013, 02:51:27 PM »
Quote from: "sdougla2" post=11835
If you're using creatures, it's not a solo build.

Exactly!  People need to use better terminology.  Solo means just that, SOLO!  Saying that a mage + 1-2 creatures is "solo" is like saying my Beastmaster is "solo + swarm".  It just makes no sense.

Koz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2013, 02:56:25 PM »
Quote from: "DarthDadaD20" post=11833
^ Thats what I thought....Bashcon was taken by a solo warlock (That includes 1-2 threats....by definition of the build, I guess I should of said that?) So I dont know why solo mage is being dismissed as "Non-competitive."

Also...I would call my forcemaster build with a invisible stalker and four thoughtspores a "Solo mage build" because thats what it is.

I dont mean to sound like a jerk (Or Im clarifying that Im not being a jerk rather).....but what meta are you guys playing in that a solo mage build is not considered competitive???

This makes no sense.  You're basically saying anything that isn't a swarm is "solo".  If you have other creatures out, you're not solo.  BY DEFINITION.

A true "solo" mage would get roflstomped into the floor by any competently played Daze/Stun lock build or Weak/Cripple build.  The ONLY mage that might have a chance in that situation is the Forcemaster due to her Forcefield.  Maybe.

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2013, 02:58:45 PM »
Saying 1-2 big creatures plus mage beatdown/equipment makes much more sense to me than 1-2 big creatures plus solo mage.

reddawn

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2013, 03:00:15 PM »
Quote from: "Koz" post=11822
Quote from: "DarthDadaD20" post=11800
against a solo mage....helm is amazing. Its only a 8+ (I believe) but thats a 8+ on top of any other defenses for that attack....not to mention that its not ready/used ability....plus...what other helm are you going to use for the warlock??

Does anyone actually play a true "solo mage" build anymore?  Absolutely worst build, hands down.  Way too easy to counter and shut down.

I know I don't.  Even with a Battleforge, solo builds are just too action inefficient/starved; the Forcemaster is about as close as you can get to a fully solo mage, but even then she uses a couple creatures.

Point being, you COULD spend several turns pumping out equips until you're ready to mount some kind of assault...or you could just summon Adramelech T2, or Goran T1 and a Slayer T2, and then immediate go to town.

@Darth: It's not like the Warlock somehow always needs his Helm.  Competitively, that certainly isn't the case with aggro builds, and thematically, a less-armored, more berserker-like Warlock makes a lot more sense for those builds.

The Helm is a good card and has a place in very controlling Warlock builds.  I've played the Warlock 3 ways; Aggro (Adramelech + friends), Midrange-Aggro (heavy use of Pentagram), and Control (bleed out other mage with Idol and DoT effects).  For me, at least, the Helm has only ever pulled its weight in the control build.
  • Favourite Mage: Arraxian Crown Warlock

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2013, 03:06:23 PM »
Most of the time I think "Solo" as Solo + 1/2 baddies if needed to augment against action deficiencies of swarms.  The style of play doesn't change much, my mage is the primary vehicle to deal damage on the opposing mage.  But I do see how it could be confusing for some.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Cyborgs Gaming

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2013, 03:52:45 PM »
I think the closest thing I could find reasonable for truely solo Mage is a Forcemaster with only an invisible stalker.  I could kind of see going on.  I think a solo Warlock is reasonable too.  I only have 7 in mine right now.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2013, 06:41:18 PM »
That is why in my post I said solo style build.

Not solo mage bulid.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

DarthDadaD20

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2013, 03:09:49 AM »
Really?.....whatever. :P And a build that focuses on buffing/equipping a solo mage and has a creature (for whatever reason) is a solo build to me....(Playing a forcemaster and using thoughtspores as living mage wands....thats a solo build.)

The game is in its infancy.... terminology created by players is far from written in stone.

What is being said (not everything obviously! :lol: ) is akin to saying that a counter spell deck in MtG cant have a creature or two....or its not a counter spell build. (a lot control does have a few fattys to drop at the end)

(If you play MtG or any game for that matter...you would know that each archetype has very different builds, it is ment to be a BROAD idea of decks or strategies that have been prevalent in several tournaments and have showed results repeatedly)

And I never said the warlock needs his Helm of Fear ....Im just trying to argue the applications and worth of the card.

I don't even have to say any of this really.......But there you go. ;) And I guess if it makes you happy..."Solo style" (New song idea for Psy song.....)
Within Shad0w.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2013, 01:34:56 PM »
We often see eye to eye on things like this. I knew some people would disagree so I chose my wordiing carefuly.

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2013, 01:52:09 PM »
I can kind of see the argument for Thoughtspores, but not if you're using an Invisible Stalker or Lord of Fire or something. Thoughtspores are essentially autonomous wands, although they are actually creatures, so solo still seems a little off if you're using them.

While solo style is certainly better than solo as a descriptor for those builds, I still think it would be better to use other terminology because you're using creatures. When I think of solo style, I think about how a solo mage's style would differ from one with creatures, so I usually think about using cards that punish creature plays like Mordok's Obelisk, Idol of Pestilence, or Suppression Orb.

The counter spell deck comparison is not very good, since a counter spell deck does not include the information in the name that it doesn't use creatures. It just says that it uses counters. Using creatures does not preclude having your strategy centered around counter spells. Using creatures does preclude playing solo.

DarthDadaD20

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2013, 07:12:12 PM »
Using cards that punish creatures (Mordok's Obelisk, Idol of Pestilence, or Suppression Orb) are more in the realm of control. But unless that is your entire strategy...they could just be cards that are some extra options in a different build. ie.....a solo warlock deck can use these cards and is still a solo build....so I dont know why a creature as a tool would make it any different.

When I think of solo mage......all that matters is that you spend all your resources pumping up your mage.....and non stop using him as your beatstick. If you play a few different cards then what your focus is along the way....that doesnt change your build.

I play creatures to take the heat off and preform a goal in a solo mage build......Im always the threat, and that never changes. I always focus the majority of resources on my mage.

My opponent plays non-stop creatures...buffing them, not focusing on himself at all....staying in his starting zone, playing conjurations that pump up his creatures more. Using a build that focus is one canines and then sending out a Alpha Claw. Then enchanting the Alpha Claw with six enchantments......that is a swarm build. (Tribal would be the correct name for this example, conjurations serve as "banners")

Im only going to argue what my points are....if you dont agree thats fine...Im not going to try and change your views or ideas....I will say, I wouldnt even argue them if I didnt feel that I was correct though.

But if thats your opinion great. To be honest, if I didnt just enjoy talking to you guys here and respected your opinions, I would just ignore the conversation all together...as I dont play chess with pigeons. :P
Within Shad0w.

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2013, 12:54:56 AM »
Beatdown makes more sense than solo as a descriptor of that strategy. You're focusing on hitting things with your mage, but you may use creatures to support your mage. Solo is not equivalent to direct attacks with your mage. Most solo plays I've seen have revolved around hitting things with their mage, but that doesn't mean that a solo control build is impossible. Solo doesn't imply beatdown to me. It implies not using creatures, which is not what you're actually going for. Buffed mage, equipment, or beatdown strategy make sense as descriptors for what you're talking about, solo mage does not.