July 03, 2024, 01:15:22 AM

Author Topic: Forcemaster Builds  (Read 204227 times)

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Forcemaster Builds
« Reply #120 on: June 10, 2013, 06:38:56 AM »
Smells like a last minute nerf they knew they wouldn't have time to playtest, so had to be extra thorough. Just guessing, though. Maybe someone built a really killer warlord conjurations book that we just haven't found yet.

I knew in that state it was unplayable but people argued against the version Heat and I voted for. I can not say what it was because it may get used later.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 10, 2013, 06:42:34 AM »
The reason I use hand is for 5 mana it has some of the best utility in the game.

I have a final build that I will bring down but will not post till after the show. 8)
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

DevilDave

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 10, 2013, 07:01:35 AM »
Cool. Looking forward to that.
After show u mean Origins?

Koz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 10, 2013, 09:02:21 AM »
Smells like a last minute nerf they knew they wouldn't have time to playtest, so had to be extra thorough. Just guessing, though. Maybe someone built a really killer warlord conjurations book that we just haven't found yet.

I knew in that state it was unplayable but people argued against the version Heat and I voted for. I can not say what it was because it may get used later.

I can sympathize with this quite a bit since I have quite a bit of playtest experience (for several AEG games, FFG games and many old FASA games).  It can be tough to get people to see that a particular game aspect is underpowered/overpowered mostly due to the fact that playgroups differ so dramatically in both skill level and playstyles. 

I had a feeling looking at the Goblin Builder that there was a "better version" out there somewhere that didn't see print due to playtest concerns.  Unfortunately a sub-par card ended up seeing print, but that happens.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 10, 2013, 11:46:34 AM »
@ Devil and Koz: Yup

@Koz
Brent Keith from AEG used to play at one of the shops in the area. We have had to talk to John Zinser before.

Koz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 10, 2013, 12:21:56 PM »
@ Devil and Koz: Yup

@Koz
Brent Keith from AEG used to play at one of the shops in the area. We have had to talk to John Zinser before.

Brent was awesome when he was working on Warlord for AEG and Zinser is just a great guy, he really cares about his games, is very interactive with the fans, and goes out of his way to "do the right thing".  I love AEG, always have. 

MrSaucy

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 10, 2013, 07:17:25 PM »
Shadow's FM build seems to have a super aggressive opening. I'm wondering if it is viable to do something different, like spend the first 3 turns shrouding yourself with defenses and protection and THEN switching to offense. Maybe something like:

Turn 1: Force Ring, Defense Ring
Turn 2: Psi-Orb, Forcefield (face down)
Turn 3: Cobra Defenses, Dancing Scimitar, (flip up Forcefield)

At this point, you have Forcefield and 3 Defenses up. Then you start bringing out the goods: Galvitar, Mage Wand (+BF), Hands of Bim-Shalla, Bear Strength, Gauntlets of Strength. While you are gearing up, you can use positional spells to keep the opponent at bay. After that you could either buff up your defense with things like stormdrake hide, dragonscale hauberk, regrowth belt, force orb/force sword.... OR you could go all out with the Battle Fury + Galvitar / Force Pull + Galvitar combos.
"See you space cowboy..."

DevilDave

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 11, 2013, 08:07:07 AM »
U have 3 + forcefield - FM has it's own defense, Scimitar can defense, Cobra Reflexes and finaly Forcefield.
But u can use just 1 defense per atack, so with this u expect to be hit 3 times a round to use all defenses (without Forcefield which is not really defense but is canceling attacks and it must cancel it before u can use any defense).

MrSaucy

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 11, 2013, 01:21:18 PM »
On one hand, I want to run armor and regrowth belt with the FM because those will always work. On the other hand, if I don't run a lot of Defenses I feel like I am not getting the most out of the FM's abilities  :-\

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 11, 2013, 01:43:35 PM »
Sauce,

From what I played the idea is to "get" there but not early like you typically would. Once you get past the open (3-4 rds) you should be attacking and that will leave you a QC to continue to build up on the equipment....
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

The Dude

• Hitchhiker of sorts
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
  • It's like... good gracious...bodacious.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 11, 2013, 02:03:23 PM »
Battle Forge. The best Forcemaster card ever. Letting you cast battle fury round three 100 percent of the time, all the time (tm).
  • Favourite Mage: Johktari Beastmaster
Always carry a towel...

MrSaucy

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 11, 2013, 02:57:23 PM »
Sauce,

From what I played the idea is to "get" there but not early like you typically would. Once you get past the open (3-4 rds) you should be attacking and that will leave you a QC to continue to build up on the equipment....

But wouldn't that QC be better spent on Battle Fury?

Battle Forge. The best Forcemaster card ever. Letting you cast battle fury round three 100 percent of the time, all the time (tm).

Battle Forge is mentioned frequently, so I will try it. The thing is, there are certain equipment spells I will need to put on ASAP (force ring, galvitar, psi-orb, dancing scimitar) before attacking. Battle Forge won't be able to help too much when it comes to these spells.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 11, 2013, 03:40:52 PM »
While very true Battle Fury is needed as a part of the attack strategy, if you spam it, counter measures will be taken. But If you drop some equipment then pull out the Battle Forge at random it is a lot harder to plan for and counter...

note to self it is easy to mix up BF for Battle Forge/Battle Fury....

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 11, 2013, 03:41:36 PM »
You don't really need Psi-Orb, Dancing Scimitar, or Force Ring. They're good cards, but they're not mandatory like Galvitar is.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 11, 2013, 03:45:56 PM »
You don't really need Psi-Orb, Dancing Scimitar, or Force Ring. They're good cards, but they're not mandatory like Galvitar is.
I agree, early in the game they are not needed. But if the game gets out a bit longer then you can start dropping them as needed.