July 01, 2024, 02:06:21 AM

Author Topic: Forcemaster Builds  (Read 204172 times)

MrSaucy

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
Re: Forcemaster Builds
« Reply #135 on: June 11, 2013, 07:16:37 PM »
You don't really need Psi-Orb, Dancing Scimitar, or Force Ring. They're good cards, but they're not mandatory like Galvitar is.

Psi-Orb: agree. I can equip that once upkeep starts becoming a problem.

Dancing Scimitar: I would like to cast it sooner than later, but I can understand leaving it out of the opening.

Force Ring: This I disagree on. My reasoning is that the quicker you get out Force Ring the better. It saves you 1 mana for every force spell you cast, so why not get it out before you cast any other force spells?

As far as creatures go, I am pretty indecisive. Are thoughtspores helpful? I was thinking of running 2 and binding force push or knockdown to them. I know Invisible Stalker looks cool and all, but I am currently convinced that he is only helpful against creature-light builds. Is it better to bring him out early or late? If I am playing against a BM I plan on conjuring Mordok's Obelisk and Suppression Orb instead of bringing out any creatures at all.
"See you space cowboy..."

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 11, 2013, 07:43:55 PM »
I have played the FM vs BM match. The conjurations are great once the BM gets some critters out, if you pop it right off the bat you are going to force a few big from him instead. Force Ring is good to Equip but I am looking at your first five opening (with some edits):
Turn1: Force Ring + Psi Orb (cast Ring first) - Force / Mana
Turn 2: Defense Ring + Force Orb / Force Sword (choose depending on matchup) - War / Force, Defense or Force
Turn 3: Galvitar + Forcefield (face down, reveal it next turn) - Force / Force
Turn 4: Scimitar + Bear Strength (face down, reveal it next turn)
Turn 5: Gauntlets of Strength + Attack

There are 4 Force Spells you are going to cast after the Ring which costs 3 Mana (and an Action) to save 4 Mana, it might be worth it if the 1 saved Mana is more valuable than the action used to cast the Force Ring.

Now once later into the game if your were to move Turns 1 and 2 in to a Post opening period it might make more sense as then you can add in your Force Crush/Holds etc into the saving mix.....
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

MrSaucy

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 11, 2013, 08:34:18 PM »
I have played the FM vs BM match. The conjurations are great once the BM gets some critters out, if you pop it right off the bat you are going to force a few big from him instead. Force Ring is good to Equip but I am looking at your first five opening (with some edits):
Turn1: Force Ring + Psi Orb (cast Ring first) - Force / Mana
Turn 2: Defense Ring + Force Orb / Force Sword (choose depending on matchup) - War / Force, Defense or Force
Turn 3: Galvitar + Forcefield (face down, reveal it next turn) - Force / Force
Turn 4: Scimitar + Bear Strength (face down, reveal it next turn)
Turn 5: Gauntlets of Strength + Attack

There are 4 Force Spells you are going to cast after the Ring which costs 3 Mana (and an Action) to save 4 Mana, it might be worth it if the 1 saved Mana is more valuable than the action used to cast the Force Ring.

Now once later into the game if your were to move Turns 1 and 2 in to a Post opening period it might make more sense as then you can add in your Force Crush/Holds etc into the saving mix.....

I was also considering this opening, which I posted earlier:

Turn 1: Force Ring, Defense Ring
Turn 2: Psi-Orb, Forcefield (face down)
Turn 3: Cobra Defenses, Dancing Scimitar, (flip up Forcefield)

Of course, you guys have convinced me to use Battleforge, so I don't know as of know if I like this opening. Maybe this would work better:

Turn 1: Battleforge
Turn 2: Galvitar
Turn 3: Forcefield

From there I guess I'll improvise.

DevilDave

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 18, 2013, 01:36:28 PM »
I have a final build that I will bring down but will not post till after the show. 8)

Show is over :). Time to uncover cards :).

MrSaucy

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 18, 2013, 04:01:49 PM »
I finally have a FM build I am pleased with. Instead of just listing the cards by type I think I will list them based on function.

>>>Turn 1 Spells:
1x Force Ring
1x Psi Orb

>>>1st Tier Offense:
1x Galvitar, Force Blade
1x Invisible Stalker
2x Dancing Scimitar

>>>2nd Tier Offense:
2x Bear Strength
2x Hand of Bim-Shalla
1x Gauntlets of Strength
2x Falcon Precision

>>>1st Tier Defense:
2x Forcefield
1x Stormdrake Hide
1x Dragonscale Hauberk

>>>2nd Tier Defense:
1x Regrowth
1x Regrowth Belt
4x Minor Heal

>>>3rd Tier Defense:
2x Force Orb
2x Force Sword
1x Defense Ring

>>>Non-creature Control:
3x Dispel
3x Dissolve
2x Seeking Dispel

>>>1st Tier Creature Control:
2x Sleep
4x Charm

>>>2nd Tier Creature Control:
4x Force Push

>>>3rd Tier Creature Control:
4x Force Hammer

>>>Movement / Zone Control:
2x Teleport
4x Force Bash
2x Knockdown
2x Force Hold
(Force Pull fits under this category)

I initially had the spells Force Wave and Repulse but took them out since I never found myself needing them. I think Force Pull is one of the most useful "movement/zone control" spells to be honest.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 04:03:48 PM by MrSaucy »

Alpha

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 18, 2013, 08:42:28 PM »
Dear Mr. Shad0w,

Will you be posting your build and match results any time soon? I'm really curious to see what has changed from your build that was previously posted. I would also be very curious to know which wins and losses were against which mage/strategy and to understand against what kind of things you had problems with.

I've looked over your original deck list many times and in reading your succeeding comments I know about a few cards that you mentioned you usually run with such as Falcon Precision, Mongoose Agility and Teleport but my question is how do you deal with flyers? It seems the obvious answer is that you don't and instead just focus all on the enemy mage. If things get a little out of hand you have various equipments and enchantments to help you such as various armors/cloaks, forcefield, vampirisim and many other things. The problem I see is when faced against not just any flyers but the ones such as Valshalla or Samandriel. The kind that do pretty decent damage but more importantly have a fairly good chance to Daze or Stun you. It would seem Daze and Stun is just as devastating to the Forcemaster as the Weak tokens from the Gorgon Archer are. (Of course you can attack the Archer but based on your decklist you can't really do anything against those daze/stun flyers. Missing or not being able to attack a turn with the Forcemaster seems pretty huge. Not only that but if this happens it gives the opposing mage more time to 'do stuff' which is exactly what we don't want which is why we rush over there to end the game as fast as possible in the first place.

Now if some kind of flyer handling is needed then what do you think would be the best course of action? One route could be the charm, sleep or mind control route, the other could be running maim wings or eagle wings but all of these options take up quite a bit of spellbook points... Of course as you pointed out for your decklist there are only 'some' core spells and the rest are meta but when I built my own version 'based' on your deck I have a hard time deciding what could possibly be worth removing to add in these flyer handling cards.

I would really like to understand what you think about this. Thanks a bunch for your time!

Alpha

MrSaucy

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 18, 2013, 09:54:36 PM »
my question is how do you deal with flyers?

Here are some ways the FM can deal with flyers with mind spells (in no particular order):

1) Force Hammer: not the best option, but still an option nonetheless.
2) Charm / Mind Control: not specific to flyers but still counts as general creature control.
3) Sleep: in the same realm as Charm/Mind Control.
4) Force Hold / Force Crush: flyers lose flying when they are restrained.
5) Knockdown: incapacitated creatures lose flying.

Of course, there are other ways to deal with flyers. I recommend checking this out:

http://magewars.com/jsite/strategy-guides/item/84-strategy-guide-example

Good luck!

DevilDave

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 19, 2013, 02:39:09 AM »
Also Shad0w has Gravikor in his build he posted here.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 19, 2013, 08:28:38 AM »
As the great Homer Simpson says...mmmm Gravikor!

This better be in the next expansion! Galidor pfft!
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 19, 2013, 08:46:42 AM »
I have a final build that I will bring down but will not post till after the show. 8)

Show is over :). Time to uncover cards :).

If I have time this week . I will list the build I played against Padawan.

(Sunfire does work BTW. I wanted to test it and it did pay off.)
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

The Dude

• Hitchhiker of sorts
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
  • It's like... good gracious...bodacious.
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 20, 2013, 12:10:12 AM »
Sunfire is a definite one of. The build is strong, but more combo than aggro.
  • Favourite Mage: Johktari Beastmaster
Always carry a towel...

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 20, 2013, 10:10:35 PM »
I agree in essence it is a 1-3 hit combo deck (since damage rolls are random)
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

MrSaucy

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 21, 2013, 03:15:26 AM »
I changed two things about my FM that seemed to help a lot:

1) Dropping Defenses from my spellbook entirely
2) Putting on armor BEFORE casting Forcefield

I realized that with enough armor, health regeneration, Vampirism, and Forcefield, Defenses like Force Orb/Force Sword really become last tier protection. I just don't think the FM needs any Defenses other than her natural one.

I also realized that opponents were dispelling Forcefield very early on and getting a free shot as me when I was armorless. So, I have started putting on armor before casting Forcefield and it has helped me out quite a bit.

DevilDave

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 22, 2013, 02:10:15 AM »
Sunfire is a definite one of. The build is strong, but more combo than aggro.

What 'sunfire' stands for?

The Dude

• Hitchhiker of sorts
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
  • It's like... good gracious...bodacious.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 22, 2013, 03:12:49 AM »
Sunfire Amulet from the new Conquest of Kumanjaro expansion. It reads:

At the beginning of each upkeep, Mage gains one life.
  • Favourite Mage: Johktari Beastmaster
Always carry a towel...