April 20, 2024, 04:01:34 AM

Author Topic: Defeating the swarm?  (Read 23086 times)

Tllmdjd

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Defeating the swarm?
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2012, 09:23:55 PM »
There are, I believe, four different temples. I dont have my cards in front of me, but the holy spawnpoint, Bim-Shala, damage temple (remember, that structure is itself a temple and gets an attack die for itself), and one other that lets you re-roll dice under certain circumstances, pump the damage temple to four fairly quickly.

I've used a temple spell book twice, and it runs fairly well IMO.

paradox22

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • MOKAN Mage Wars
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2012, 11:51:16 PM »
Wow, I'll have to check my cards when I get a chance...  Had no idea those were "temples".  Hell, I had the the hand of bim-shalla out along with the other 2, and I was only rolling 2 dice to attack with.  ...Fail   :pinch:

Gonna restructure my spellbook tonight, and probably all week.  Hopefully have another game this Friday. really wanna utilize some walls with the priestess and try to "turtle up".  Now, which wall do I want to use...   Hmmmmm
Si vis pacem para bellum

paradox22

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • MOKAN Mage Wars
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2012, 11:56:08 PM »
Quote from: "kamishev" post=1123
And after all that on the battlefield The Beastmaster was able to kill you ? With all the support from the card that you mentioned? What happened ?

Not sure which card youre talking about Kam, but the short answer is:  After my BIG angel got pwned by his character bird w/ bear strength (the skyhunter), I simply got out mana'ed and swarmed with animals.  I couldnt summon my expensive defensive troops as fast as he could summon 2-3 of his cheap offensive troops per round.  It's what the beastmaster excells at, especially when he has his spawnpoint out (+ a mana flower and the mana amulet)...which is why I wish I'd had my Angel destroy that thing before she died and not focus on the giant bird.  

Oh well... lesson learned.   :)
Si vis pacem para bellum

Klaxas

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2012, 12:23:50 PM »
as for which wall to use, currently i would say wall of stone.  its the only one that completely prevents movement till its destroyed.

also another thing you could have considered is using your angel to kill his lair off.  remember the lair is epic so once you kill it he cant get it back.
Favorite Mage: The one I am using.

paradox22

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • MOKAN Mage Wars
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2012, 01:35:56 PM »
Yep, I agree, already added in two stone walls.  Also agree that before my Angel died I should have had her destroy the lair.  Next time I'll know better.
Si vis pacem para bellum

Klaxas

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2012, 04:32:15 PM »
and if he kills off your angel with skyhunter, you could always shoot him down with archers then resurect your angel.

paradox22

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • MOKAN Mage Wars
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2012, 11:54:27 PM »
Quote from: "Klaxas" post=1151
and if he kills off your angel with skyhunter, you could always shoot him down with archers then resurect your angel.

Oh, I have two Gray Angels in my book.  Speaking of...How many creatures do you guys think is optimal for the priestess?  I figured since she provides alot of staying power for her creatures she might not need that many.  Between +armor from the crown, Aegis from enchantments, and healing/regen, they should stick around fairly long.  

Think I've got the following:  2 clerics, 1 archer, 2 gray angels, 2 knights, a unicorn, Smandrial and Brogan Bloodstone.

I dunno, feels like I don't have enough though... :unsure:
Si vis pacem para bellum

Foton

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2012, 12:56:54 AM »
One thing I noticed tonight playing my Wizard against swarm is using reverse attacks and and aoes really helps. I'd generate a ton of mana. Then zap all his stuff then use a big spell on him. Anything you can do to get them to waste actions helps. Set him on fire so he has to dowse his burn instead of buffing. Play decoys so he goes to disenchant them. Teleport a lot so he has to move a lot. Unpredictability seems to be the key against the swarm. A tactic I wanna try is baiting them all into a corner zone, walling it off then teleporting.

Klaxas

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2012, 01:20:37 AM »
except if you wall it off you couldnt teleport out as you have to see the zone you want to teleport too.  which you cant if there is a wall.  unless you want to fly.

Tllmdjd

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2012, 08:07:54 AM »
Quote from: "Klaxas" post=1158
except if you wall it off you couldnt teleport out as you have to see the zone you want to teleport too.  which you cant if there is a wall.  unless you want to fly.

You can teleport anywhere you want.  You need line of sight from the caster to the target. Since, in this scenario, the Mage is targeting himself, line of sight is irrelevant.

Furthermore, the section in the rule book on teleporting (pg. 14) specifically says that teleportation bypasses all walls.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2012, 08:45:58 AM »
Plan your turns and you will be good. Your are correct let the swarm player be the person who overextends.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Klaxas

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2012, 01:12:00 PM »
if you have an ability that lets you move as a teleport (ie the blue gremlin) yes it bypasses walls, but if you look at the teleport card it doesnt say target creature, it says target creature and target zone, you move target creature to target zone so both have to be in line of sight.

and both have to be within the 0-2 range so you cant teleport yourself 4 squares.  although you could teleport one creature 2 squares away to a zone 2 squares on the otehr side of you.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2012, 02:22:40 PM »
Quote from: "Klaxas" post=1177
if you have an ability that lets you move as a teleport (ie the blue gremlin) yes it bypasses walls, but if you look at the teleport card it doesnt say target creature, it says target creature and target zone, you move target creature to target zone so both have to be in line of sight.

and both have to be within the 0-2 range so you cant teleport yourself 4 squares.  although you could teleport one creature 2 squares away to a zone 2 squares on the otehr side of you.

That is correct we talked about this at Gencon.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Tllmdjd

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2012, 02:28:54 PM »
I stand corrected.

I did not notice that the teleport spell has 2 targeting requirements.

Good to know.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2012, 02:57:34 PM »
most people do not notice it. I even missed it after a 14 hour day of demoing.