March 28, 2024, 02:03:51 PM

Author Topic: Vassal?  (Read 10754 times)

wolf88

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Vassal?
« on: September 08, 2012, 07:58:38 AM »
I was wondering if a Vassal module for this game will be encouraged or at least tolerated.
Summoner Wars has one and as far as I have seen it has only helped its popularity.
Any comment on that from the owners? :)

paradox22

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • MOKAN Mage Wars
Re: Vassal?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 06:24:19 AM »
I hope a vassal mod comes to fruition.  Its a wonderful tool for practice games.
Si vis pacem para bellum

wolf88

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 07:56:09 AM »
Indeed, since the game focus seems to be on league play, a vassal module would be an invaluable tool! It is actually quite easy to build one, the real problem would be getting permission to use the game art and text assets.

patrickconnor

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 12:06:39 PM »
Quote from: "wolf88" post=986
I was wondering if a Vassal module for this game will be encouraged or at least tolerated.
Summoner Wars has one and as far as I have seen it has only helped its popularity.
Any comment on that from the owners? :)

Interesting question guys! Right now we are focused on getting our game out into the world and setting up organized play. However, in the near future we will be looking at every possible way to enhance our players' experiences. This may or may not include Vassal.

Thanks for the interest, we will keep you posted.

paradox22

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • MOKAN Mage Wars
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 06:25:40 PM »
Sweet!  Does that so include an android/iphone verson... ?
Si vis pacem para bellum

wolf88

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 01:30:57 PM »
If Summoner Wars is a good example, as soon as the game gains in popularity, a Vassal module will be produced by members of the community itself. The module is still running and regularly updated by a community member even after the ios version has come out, so it is not seen as a problem by either Plaid Hat or Playdek... Also, as a small OT, if you ever consider going digital i really hope you work out a deal with Playdek, they are my favourite games company right now!

Klaxas

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 10:18:35 AM »
im not 100% sure but i believe the vassal module for summoner wars was made and maintained by plaid hat playtesters to help playtest the new stuff....  but they also decided to make the older stuff available to the public.  again not 100% sure on that.
Favorite Mage: The one I am using.

wolf88

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 10:25:23 AM »
There is an internal playtest module, but it is kept private. The module that is available on the Vassal website is fan made

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012, 10:02:46 AM »
I copied this to the  Alternative Play section of the forums.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Klaxas

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2012, 12:33:06 PM »
i was under the impression (and i could be wrong) that the playtest module and the public module was the exact same module.  they just added the assets for the newer cards.  the person who runs the public vassel module (clarismus i think) is a playtester if i remember correctly.

again maybe i am just operating under some false assumptions, it has been a while since i have been very active on the summoner wars forums

wolf88

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2012, 05:21:33 PM »
i'm not sure but i think clarissimus isn't mantaining it anymore, another user has taken over... i remember reading that they used different solutions for the same things and that it took some getting used switching back and forth between them. but it's a moot point really, what's important is that anyone with some time on his hands could do it :)

Klaxas

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2012, 09:27:08 AM »
true true.   and access to the art assets.

wolf88

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2012, 10:36:39 AM »
that's the reason I haven't started building one already! I am reading all the necessary documentation in hope that permission will be granted though, so i might be able to make at least a mock-up or something in about a week! :)

Klaxas

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2012, 12:10:53 PM »
well i wish you the best.  programing can be frustrating at times lol

wolf88

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2012, 12:25:44 PM »
oh vassal does not require programming :) it supports java if a designer wishes to use it to automate certain functions, but it's not required at all!