April 29, 2024, 01:13:06 AM

Author Topic: Who has received their expansion? Thoughts?  (Read 20289 times)

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
Re: Who has received their expansion? Thoughts?
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2013, 07:50:49 PM »
Got mine in today!  About to start sleaving....
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

DarthDadaD20

• Dark Father of Random Occurrence/TeamRocket Grunt
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2013, 01:53:22 AM »
I preorderd mine from hobbytown, and ordered for multiple people, they only got one in?!?! They said it would take a week to three weeks for the rest. Not to pleased. But boy is it a great set! Tons of great new cards for every mage, the mages are balanced.(We switched around and at the end it was 2-2. So that was nice.) I would of had a comment on building new books with them, but since my group only has one copy as of now, I'm going to keep the "Starting" books as is. But I couldn't be happier. My favorite part is that it comes with plenty of each spell, so I dont fell the need to buy two at all, and the spells are really good,not better or have any kind of power shift from the core, but they different, and allow new strategies, it really gives you many more options, but not this staggering advantage to someone who doesn't have it. And the components looked great. The spell books are crisp and clean (although the hair dryer trick work perfectly for me.) I give it a 10/10 easily, surpassed what most other game expansions do and have by a long shot.(For the price especially)
Where does my greatest enemy lie?
It has been around since the dawn of time,
it follows your loved ones as well as mine,
takes the form of a mountain as well as a flower,
it cannot be outrun by the greatest of power.
Within Shad0w.

Tacullu64

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2013, 08:32:44 AM »
Quote from: "DarthDadaD20" post=7931
My favorite part is that it comes with plenty of each spell, so I dont fell the need to buy two at all,

Sorry to cut most of your post, but I wanted to focus on this part. I would rate the set a 9 (that's prior to playing it). The one negative for me is that for a set that includes 216 cards we got a proportionally small number of different new cards. I can't help but feel that all the extra copies of the cards is the reason we didn't get some of the cards we thought would be in the set. I hope we can find a happy median between this expansion and the core set. I may be the only person that feels this way since increasing the number of copies of individual cards in the expansion was one of the hot topics on the forum last year. If AW does keep this model for the expansions I hope they at least put in 2 copies of each Mage so that we can play the forcemaster vs forcemaster. I would hate to have to buy a second set just to get a duplicate copy of the mages.

Overall I am pleased with the expansion.

cymyn

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2013, 08:36:24 AM »
I played mine last night.

The new mages are awesome.

In the first game my buddy played the warlord, and I played the forcemaster.

I thought he was going to crush me with his obscene lineup of creatures, but I closed with him quickly and kept sucking him in with the FM's "force pull" ability, where I had an invisible stalker waiting. The FM's sword doublestrikes for 8 dice!  He didn't last.

The second game was EPIC. He began with a solid lineup of outposts that spit out a motly rabble of goblins. My Warlord was on the ropes the entire game but through careful use of fire walls was able to stymie his assault for a very close victory. There were so many twists and turns in this game that it was tense the entire time.

Such a good game.

DarthDadaD20

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2013, 08:45:00 AM »
Quote from: "Tacullu64" post=7947
My favorite part is that it comes with plenty of each spell, so I dont fell the need to buy two at all,

The one negative for me is that for a set that includes 216 cards we got a proportionally small number of different new cards. I can't help but feel that all the extra copies of the cards is the reason we didn't get some of the cards we thought would be in the set. I hope maybe we can find a happy median between this expansion and the core set. I may be the only person that feels this way since increasing the number of copies of individual cards in the expansion was one of the hot topics on the forum last year.

I felt there were plenty of new cards for just one set, but you certainly are not the only person that feels that way. A good number of people feel the same way you do.(They wanted more verity of spells, but were overall pleased) It was a split for my group in who felt ether way. Honestly, I wouldnt be surprised if they had more cards that were intended to make the cut, but they wanted to try and keep the promised deadline. Being the first expansion, I'm sure they had a lot of tough decisions to make, and I bet they will keep getting better and better. As for the mirror matches, a lot of people have said that too, but anything close to that will not be an issue to me since my group all buy our own sets, but you know you can always print or photo copy the mage cards. This set really has just the right number to do two of each book with just one box.
Within Shad0w.

Tacullu64

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2013, 08:58:05 AM »
Quote from: "DarthDadaD20" post=7949

The one negative for me is that for a set that includes 216 cards we got a proportionally small number of different new cards. I can't help but feel that all the extra copies of the cards is the reason we didn't get some of the cards we thought would be in the set. I hope maybe we can find a happy median between this expansion and the core set. I may be the only person that feels this way since increasing the number of copies of individual cards in the expansion was one of the hot topics on the forum last year.

I felt there were plenty of new cards for just one set, but you certainly are not the only person that feels that way. A good number of people feel the same way you do.(They wanted more verity of spells, but were overall pleased) It was a split for my group in who felt ether way. Honestly, I wouldnt be surprised if they had more cards that were intended to make the cut, but they wanted to try and keep the promised deadline. Being the first expansion, I'm sure they had a lot of tough decisions to make, and I bet they will keep getting better and better. As for the mirror matches, a lot of people have said that too, but anything close to that will not be an issue to me since my group all buy our own sets, but you know you can always print or photo copy the mage cards. This set really has just the right number to do two of each book with just one box.

The reason I thought that there were more spells ready to go into the set is that some of the spoiled cards were a perfect fit for this set like the Ballista. I think the Minotaur was spoiled too and isn't he being held in the forcemaster's force crush on the box cover. That doesn't mean those cards were meant for this set though, so you could be right.

DarthDadaD20

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2013, 09:08:27 AM »
Quote from: "Tacullu64" post=7950
Quote from: "DarthDadaD20" post=7949

The reason I thought that there were more spells ready to go into the set is that some of the spoiled cards were a perfect fit for this set like the Ballista. I think the Minotaur was spoiled too and isn't he being held in the forcemaster's force crush on the box cover. That doesn't mean those cards were meant for this set though, so you could be right.

Thats really where I get the I get the idea of: They intended for many more cards to be in the set, but wanted to reach there promised dead line. They probably were intended for this set, but for whatever reason, needed to be held back. I'm sure they had to make some cuts they didnt want to. With the game itself being in testing for so long...I have the felling they want to really get things right, before they get it even a little wrong. Just my thoughts.
Within Shad0w.

paradox22

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • MOKAN Mage Wars
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2013, 09:43:37 PM »
I don't think those cards were intended to be included in the forcemaster vs warlord set.  They were simply spoiled as part of the Dicetowers kickstarter promotion.  

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tomvasel/the-dice-tower-2013?ref=live
Si vis pacem para bellum

shapeshifter

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2013, 06:10:34 AM »
Sadly, being in England. I am not expecting the expansion for at least another week :(
Im very eager to have it my hands and play it before mid march. we'll see

Adam Wells

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2013, 04:55:01 PM »
I think the exact words used by the FLGS owner when he recieved the box was 'could kill a small child'.

Anyway, the set is astoundingly good, well worth the price tag!  We get a very cool creature-heavy caster that's a great alternative to the beastmaster, and a hilarious to use and play forcemage that keeps your opponent guessing!

Also, WTF Catapults and Outposts!? AWESOME! :D  that was probably the best and biggest surprise of this box, so i can't wait to see what other crazy tricks Arcane Wonders has up their sleeves.

One thing i have to note: Don't be a Warlord against a Warlock.  Everything you have is flammable.

Doctor taco

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2013, 08:56:49 PM »
I live in Rhode Island. I got my stuff from coolstuffinc last Friday.
I am a happy monkey.

Koy

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2013, 10:13:12 AM »
Mine was waiting for me when I got home yesterday!  Exciting!

DarthDadaD20

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2013, 07:22:30 PM »
Also, has anyone else noticed how much more "glossy" the cards are in the new set? Well they are.
Within Shad0w.

Koy

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2013, 11:00:59 AM »
We did notice that last night, though we just assumed the originals had worn down more than we thought from play.  The new ones are very shiny and very smooth!

Also:  In the three games we played last night (first ones ever with the expansion), using the preset starter books, the Forcemaster won pretty easily for everyone who played it.  While this is likely just a local play group statistic, does anyone else have simular findings?  At least with the starter books?

cymyn

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2013, 01:54:45 PM »
In have recieved the expansion and it KICKS.

Both mages are powerful & fun. (And quite different from the original four.)