April 19, 2024, 08:30:57 AM

Author Topic: What has you PSYCHED about playing mage wars!!!  (Read 7407 times)

Sparkytbg

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
What has you PSYCHED about playing mage wars!!!
« on: August 13, 2012, 03:31:13 PM »
For me I love the power that is placed in your own hands in crafting just your kind of Mage.  Do I want to play the wizard who has such a versatile spellbook that he can choice from any of the elemental schools and then also arcane.  Or do I want the priestess who has healing and great creatures like the Gray Angel, one of my favorites, and the royal archer, who is one of the best ranged creatures hands down.  I really like the open idea that a mage might want to learn a spell outside of their school.  It might cost more to learn, but you get to have a pretty wide range of spells to choice from.  Like in any kind of battle you never know what you are up against.  The Priestess can easily have a few fireballs to put down the burn on her opponents.  I really want to see all the ingenious ways people use their spells to become the victor.  I can only see Mage Wars getting better and better with more and more choices of spells and Mages.

I have been lucky enough to be one of the play testers of mages wars and I still get excited about playing each and every game.  Last year when I first saw this great game at Gencon I fell in love with it.  I have played board games and D&D like games for over 30 years.  And Mage Wars just felt right when I started playing it.  From the time I sat down at the demo to the two tournaments I played in.(I came in first and second place.  Both great well played games.)  I could not get enough of it.  Brian and the whole team are just awesome.  I have felt quite lucky to be part of such a spectacular game.

Darkfox101

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: What has you PSYCHED about playing mage wars!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 03:44:48 PM »
I'm relatively new to board games you can't find at Wallmarts.  I first played Mage Wars earlier this year and loved the fact that I could choose what spells I was going to use each turn instead of having to hope I got lucky on each draw.  I was lucky enough to be asked to playtest Mage Wars just a few days after the first time I played.  The thing that really gets me excited that I learned about during play testing was the plans to have players affect the world of Etheria.

That's what I love the most.  Players getting to change the game blows my mind.  Every time I find more out about the story I eat it up.
”Do you feel your life’s blood turning to poison,
ravaging you? Perhaps if you are quick, you may
drain enough of it to live? No, perhaps not.”
— Tellas Vane, Warlock

Klaxas

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 04:57:54 PM »
the short answer.  everything has me PSYCHED.

the concept isnt terrably new, mages battleing eachother have been done time and time again.  but this has such a different feel to it.  not relying on the draw is a huge change in concept.  if you were really a mage and really fighting another mage you wouldnt be thinking "now only if i draw my fireball spell"  no, youd just BLAM throw a fireball.

it feels more like a battle of witts than any game i have heard of in a while.  (down to just days before i can play it WOOT)  gotta run real life calls.
Favorite Mage: The one I am using.

Mage Warrior

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 09:35:30 PM »
Agree with Klaxas - the whole package just oozes strategy and wits. I love the fact that you build your mage, and have everything that you want from the beginning of the game, and don't have to panic about not getting the right card during your draw step since there is none!! I got my pre-order in this past Saturday, so I am looking forward to picking it up soon (along with the Core Tome expansion)!!!
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

Ayumi

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 02:04:33 AM »
Quote from: "Mage Warrior" post=548
Agree with Klaxas - the whole package just oozes strategy and wits. I love the fact that you build your mage, and have everything that you want from the beginning of the game, and don't have to panic about not getting the right card during your draw step since there is none!! I got my pre-order in this past Saturday, so I am looking forward to picking it up soon (along with the Core Tome expansion)!!!

In order:
Customizable, not CGC format.  There won't be an advantage to those who have the wherewithal to find and purchase uber rare 'chase' cards for casual play
Multiple strategies and tactics
Arena style Wars,  We know we're here for battle.
Mage Types and Schools of Magic in balanced competition, and cooperation in team play
The Priestess, and an openness to having a set of very powerful holy/good characters.  Courage and self sacrifice are part of character nature, and I would love this game for the Gray Angel character concept, alone
Female mages--this game has much more gender balance to offer, and this is greatly appreciated. I think that women gamers will find a real connection to the game
Balance.
All the thought and playtesting that has gone into developing the game
Beauty of the art
Infinite possibilities!!

Mestrahd

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 09:13:14 AM »

How did you get your pre-order in already? The game doesn't even officially release until Thursday...

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 09:40:23 AM »

Quote from: "Mestrahd" post=556
How did you get your pre-order in already? The game doesn't even officially release until Thursday...

I know of several stores that have been taking per-orders since May. In-fact at Origins we handed out preorder card for stores.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Klaxas

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 12:19:17 PM »
he might be meaning picking it up at gencon?
Favorite Mage: The one I am using.

Mestrahd

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 12:46:24 PM »
Oh I think I misread it. I thought he meant his store GOT the game last Saturday and he was waiting to pick it up.

Proof

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2012, 12:44:43 AM »
Add my name to the list of people who are psyched about EVERYTHING this game has to offer.

The fact that I do not have to shuffle a deck and rely on chance to draw a spell that should be on the tip of my mages tongue is most exciting.

The artwork looks beautiful and the cards are laid out so well.

The customizability is handled wonderfully. I see this game growing bigger, and bigger.

The randomness of dice in combat adds an exciting element. I like games where a weaker creature has the chance of getting lucky and taking out a stronger one. So even if you feel on the brink of losing, you never know when your minions may get a critical blow in and slay the demon that was about to crush you.

I could go on, so I will just repeat myself and say EVERYTHING!

Hekireky

• Playtester
  • Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2012, 09:50:39 AM »
I just love the game for its theme. I enjoy looking at the cards artwork, especially projectile spells. Knowing, that there will be tons of mages to choose from in the future, I will be like a kid waiting for Christmas, except it will be happening more than once per year, because as we all know, expansions come out quite quick if the game is successful :) ! And the most important part is the spellbook, which is going to become more like of a hobby for me to put up all sorts of different decks, like decks for e.g. for beginners or an adept deck!