March 29, 2024, 04:51:05 AM

Author Topic: Reverse Atack and Defence  (Read 2706 times)

kamishev

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Reverse Atack and Defence
« on: November 19, 2012, 10:44:41 AM »
This came up our last game. Creature with reverse attack is attacked. The same creature has a defence. My opponent said that he does not have to use reverse attack if he succeed to escape with defence. I think that this doesn`t matter because the reverse attack trigger is a attack and it`s a must reveal. And the fact that the attack missed does not mean that it never happened. So any opinion here?

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Reverse Atack and Defence
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 11:33:34 AM »
Quote from: "kamishev" post=4621
This came up our last game. Creature with reverse attack is attacked. The same creature has a defence. My opponent said that he does not have to use reverse attack if he succeed to escape with defence. I think that this doesn`t matter because the reverse attack trigger is a attack and it`s a must reveal. And the fact that the attack missed does not mean that it never happened. So any opinion here?

This was covered in a few other threads but I will break it down for you. A few thing to remember before I start.

Making an Attack
When you attack, you must follow these steps in order:

1. Declare Attack

2. Avoid Attack
Most Defenses are optional. You can choose to use them or not. Even with an “infinite” Defense, you can always chose to not use the Defense. A mandatory “Reverse Attack” enchantment must be revealed, but you can always choose to not pay its reveal cost.

3. Roll Dice
4. Damage and Effects
5. Additional Strikes
6. Damage Barrier
7. Counterstrike
8. Attack Ends

Reverse Attack:
When an attacker (which we will call Object A) attacks the creature enchanted with Reverse Attack (which we will call Creature  , Reverse Attack must be revealed during the Avoid Attack Step. If the Reverse Attack effect occurs, the entire remainder of Object A's attack sequence is canceled, and instead Creature B must immediately make an identical attack action targeting Object A. (This is a "free action"; it does not require Creature B to spend its action marker.) All traits on the original attack, as well as traits on Object A that affect the attack (such as Melee +X), are carried over to the reversed attack. (These traits apply instead of any traits on Creature B that would normally affect attacks made by Creature B.) This reversed attack action is then resolved as normal. If Object A's original attack action consisted of multiple attack sequences (i.e., attacks against different targets), Object A picks up the series of attack sequences where it left off.

My opponent said that he does not have to use reverse attack if he succeed to escape with defense.
Incorrect per step 2. He can still use his defense but regardless he must flip reverse attack.

I think that this doesn`t matter because the reverse attack trigger is a attack and it`s a must reveal.
Correct per step 2

And the fact that the attack missed does not mean that it never happened.
The attack did happen but if he he made the defense roll it would be cancelled before damage and effect roll.

I hope that helps
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage