March 28, 2024, 04:21:18 PM

Author Topic: Blue Gremlin and Teleport  (Read 46619 times)

Alex319

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Re: Blue Gremlin and Teleport
« Reply #60 on: August 26, 2013, 07:16:37 PM »
The next rules update will change some of the terminology about movement related actions, specifically to clarify this type of situation.

The way we are planning to do it is that Blue Gremlin's teleport ability is not actually a move action; it is something you do "instead of a move action". This means that it counts as a move action for the purposes of what actions you can do in a round, but does not count as a move action for purposes of Suppression Orb, Restrained, etc.

Similarly, the use of the "Climbing" trait counts as a full action for purposes of what actions you can do in a round, but also counts as a move action for purposes of Suppression Orb, Restrained etc. (We don't want it so you can climb while Restrained!)

Alex319

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 26, 2013, 07:18:00 PM »
In other words, sdougla2 is correct about the three questions he answered, and the answers to the other two questions are:

- He can teleport out of a Tanglevine, etc.
- He is not affected by Hindering, because Hindering only matters if you are actually taking a move action.

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 26, 2013, 10:11:34 PM »
Excellent! This came up during play recently, and I'm glad to have a definitive answer. Thanks for all the great work!
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 26, 2013, 10:35:05 PM »
Good, that's what makes sense to me, it's just not clear how that should work in the current iteration of the rules.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 26, 2013, 11:55:51 PM »
Blue Gremlin's teleport ability is not actually a move action; it is something you do "instead of a move action". This means that it counts as a move action for the purposes of what actions you can do in a round, but does not count as a move action for purposes of Suppression Orb, Restrained, etc.
I think this was what I was trying to explain earlier in the thread but could get it quite across like this. Exactly how I thought it would work and I think the changes described will help in the future.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 27, 2013, 06:37:00 AM »
So... any official ruling on this, Shad0w?

during a teleport move action the gremlin: 

WILL set off traps  (?)
WILL take a passage attack from a wall with the trait  (?)
WILL be able to teleport thru a wall with no LoS(like a stone wall)  (?)
CANNOT move out of a conjuration of effect that Restrains him  (?)
WILL be hindered  (?)

The last two look as if they're the most open to rule interpretation... but are the first three correct?

WILL set off traps?
yes it still enters the zone

WILL take a passage attack from a wall with the trait?
Nope because it teleports past the wall

WILL be able to teleport thru a wall with no LoS(like a stone wall)?
Yes

CANNOT move out of a conjuration of effect that Restrains him?

Currently no BG can not

WILL be hindered ?
Currently yes
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 27, 2013, 06:37:44 AM »
The next rules update will change some of the terminology about movement related actions, specifically to clarify this type of situation.

The way we are planning to do it is that Blue Gremlin's teleport ability is not actually a move action; it is something you do "instead of a move action". This means that it counts as a move action for the purposes of what actions you can do in a round, but does not count as a move action for purposes of Suppression Orb, Restrained, etc.

Similarly, the use of the "Climbing" trait counts as a full action for purposes of what actions you can do in a round, but also counts as a move action for purposes of Suppression Orb, Restrained etc. (We don't want it so you can climb while Restrained!)

Alex is correct this is under review.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Moonglow

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 27, 2013, 06:46:02 AM »
Shadow, isn't your clarification a little ummm confusing? You've made two 'currently not' calls that seem to contradict Alex's clarification. If there is an rule clarification in the works to say that the BG isn't restrained or hindered when it telemoves, then doesn't that suggest that that should be the answer for this thread?

tarkin84

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 27, 2013, 07:01:04 AM »
I believe that what Shadow is saying is that under the current rules BG cannot teleport out of tanglevine and is hindered by creatures but that in the next rules update this issue will be addressed and modified BG's ability so that it will work differently.
My Mage Wars blog (in Spanish): www.gatetovoltari.blogspot.com

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 27, 2013, 07:07:30 AM »
Shadow, isn't your clarification a little ummm confusing? You've made two 'currently not' calls that seem to contradict Alex's clarification. If there is an rule clarification in the works to say that the BG isn't restrained or hindered when it telemoves, then doesn't that suggest that that should be the answer for this thread?

Currently BG teleport requires a move action. Restrained currently says the creature CAN NOT take move actions.

Hinder
If a creature begins its Action Phase in a zone with any enemy creatures, it is hindered and may only move 1 zone during its Action Phase (even if it has the Fast trait). If it moves into a zone occupied by an enemy creature, it is hindered, and must stop and cannot take any more move actions this Action Phase. Incapacitated, Restrained, or Pest creatures cannot hinder movement. Flying creatures cannot hinder the movement of non-Flying creatures, and visa-versa. Elusive creatures cannot be hindered by other creatures.

So to me it is clear.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 07:12:04 AM by Shad0w »

Alex319

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 27, 2013, 09:03:00 AM »
Tarkin84 is correct. This will be changed in the next rules update.

Moonglow

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 27, 2013, 02:55:58 PM »
Yes, but since its being changed, then its kinda wrong...

I mean I get/appreciate that basically Shadow is saying that these are the rules of today and play by the rules. 
But essentially it sounds like the rules are wrong and the card isn't being played as intended.  So why not provide advice that allows the card to function as intended rather than perpetuating an inaccuracy that will create confusion for anyone seeking to clarify this in the future?

I believe that what Shadow is saying is that under the current rules BG cannot teleport out of tanglevine and is hindered by creatures but that in the next rules update this issue will be addressed and modified BG's ability so that it will work differently.

Wiz-Pig

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 27, 2013, 03:03:35 PM »
Yes, but since its being changed, then its kinda wrong...

I mean I get/appreciate that basically Shadow is saying that these are the rules of today and play by the rules. 
But essentially it sounds like the rules are wrong and the card isn't being played as intended.  So why not provide advice that allows the card to function as intended rather than perpetuating an inaccuracy that will create confusion for anyone seeking to clarify this in the future?

It may be best to let it go. It was previously ruled that we should ignore hinderance, but still enforce restrained... I think we should just wait for the new rules to come out. At this point there is going to be confusion no matter what.

Moonglow

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 27, 2013, 05:43:08 PM »
Fair call :)

It may be best to let it go. It was previously ruled that we should ignore hinderance, but still enforce restrained... I think we should just wait for the new rules to come out. At this point there is going to be confusion no matter what.

gaspode77

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 31, 2016, 09:01:11 AM »
Is there an official statement about BG getting hindered and restrained by conjurations?

Enviado desde mi Edison 3 mediante Tapatalk