April 20, 2024, 05:18:44 AM

Author Topic: Blue Gremlin and Teleport  (Read 53313 times)

Jon.Ambriz

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Blue Gremlin and Teleport
« on: October 13, 2012, 10:56:04 PM »
In the rule book, the rules on teleport say that a creature that has teleport can move through walls to another zone. However, if a wall is blocking LOS how can such a teleport happen?

I ask this because a couple nights ago there was a starter match that I sat in on and a Wizard summoned a Blue Gremlin and then on the next round used a mana point to give the Gremlin Fast, which on the card says this trait counts as a teleport. But, Warlock has casted a Wall of Fire to block off the Gremlin's route the previous turn. Does the Gremlin bypass the wall even though the Wall blocks off LOS?
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
That's a nice spell you have there. It'd be a shame if something happened to it.

Hedge

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: Blue Gremlin and Teleport
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 02:07:35 PM »
Because Teleport the Spell requires LoS. A Creature just moving to the next Zone does not require LoS. Nowhere in the Rule book does it state that you need LoS for your Creature's move action.

Hedge

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 03:11:13 PM »
This is from another thread that can be found here.
Quote from: "Shad0w" post=1987

Quote from: "fas723" post=1986
Can I teleport something through a wall?
Does it depent on which side I start the teleportation?

Shad0w Wrote:

Teleporting
Teleporting is an effect that moves a creature directly from one zone to another. The teleported creature
does not move through any zones in between, and bypasses all walls, creatures, and objects along its
route.
Everything that is attached to the teleported creature, except conjurations, including all conditions, damage, enchantments, equipment, and mana, always moves with the teleported creature to its new zone. Any attached conjurations do not move with the creature when it teleports, and are destroyed. In this way, a creature can effectively escape from conjurations like Tanglevine. A creature may teleport into the same zone it started in (effectively teleporting zero zones) to escape from attached conjurations. Unlike a Push, teleporting can affect Unmovable creatures.

So it would be correct to say you can teleport a creature past a wall but not through it.  Also in order to do this you would need LOS to both the Creatures Zone and the intended zone if using the Teleport spell.

I hope that helps

With the current wording if a creature has a teleport ability it could even go past objects that block LoS unless otherwise stated in that ability. Because the teleport keyword does not require LoS, where as the teleport spell does.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

NovemberAdam

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 03:51:00 PM »
I'm curious as to how the gremlin moves for this teleport.  Can it only teleport 1 square away, or can it teleport further away?  Is it in essence moving like other creatures, as in one zone at a time, but is just blinking from one zone to the other?

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 06:48:25 AM »
One zone at a time via its Fast Teleport ability.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

yo_predator

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 06:23:53 PM »
Hello to everybody in the forum and congratulations to the creators of this marvelous game. Wish you to make it even greater!
I want to add to the question. I hope it wasn't answered elsewhere. Does Blue Gremlin with activated ability becomes hindered by enemies?

Drealin

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 12:39:59 AM »
Quote from: "yo_predator" post=6491

I want to add to the question. I hope it wasn't answered elsewhere. Does Blue Gremlin with activated ability becomes hindered by enemies?

I would say yes, simply because the Gremlin's ability doesn't say otherwise.  A creature is hindered if it enters a zone with enemy creatures.  The only possible loophole would on page 14 in the Teleporting sidebar where it says:
"The teleported creature does not move through any zones in between, and bypasses all walls, creatures, and objects along its route."

However, I would not say this is a strong enough argument to stop the Gremlin from being hindered.

yo_predator

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2013, 04:06:43 AM »
Quote from: "Drealin" post=6496

The only possible loophole would on page 14 in the Teleporting sidebar where it says:
"The teleported creature does not move through any zones in between, and bypasses all walls, creatures, and objects along its route."

This rule is the reason for my question.

klempad

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2013, 07:50:00 AM »
This came up in my game the other day. I can see both sides of the question, and although we ended up playing that the gremlin was hindered, my sense of
spells work the way you think they should, and affect the battle in a way that makes sense.

tells me me it wouldn't.
Can we get an official ruling on this?

Hedge

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 02:33:07 PM »
Quote from: "klempad" post=6561
This came up in my game the other day. I can see both sides of the question, and although we ended up playing that the gremlin was hindered, my sense of
spells work the way you think they should, and affect the battle in a way that makes sense.

tells me me it wouldn't.
Can we get an official ruling on this?

I agree that he shouldn't be hindered.

Drealin

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2013, 06:42:46 PM »
I understand why it would make sense for him not to be hindered, but for gameplay that could make the Gremlin too powerful.  His attack isn't that bad, especially with piercing.

HeatStryke

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2013, 02:40:22 AM »
The question is more if teleport obeys hindering or not.

To be hindered you simply need to be in a zone with enemy creatures or entering a zone with enemy creatures. So purely by the rules the Gremlin would be hindered. This much is clear.

I would have to go with the simple caveat to the wording of teleport that it bypasses creatures, this would logicly include hindering. It basicly has to for teleporting to work.

That and it makes no sense that I can only teleport a zone away just because somethings trying to hit me. Seems like a good reason to go farther.

Baring offical rulings otherwise (I'll see if I can poke someone about it cause this a good question) I'd also agrue that while teleporting itself ignores and will not cause you to be hindered, if you were hindered at the start of the round you'd continue to be after the teleport.

Yeah that doesn't make a great deal of sense, but thats what the rules would lead me to believe.

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2013, 07:48:04 AM »
Discussion started in another thread:
http://forum.arcanewonders.com/index.php?topic=12635.15

What is the Intention of Blue Gremlin's Special ability?

While ability activated can the gremlin:

1)
Move unhindered?

2)
Ignore walls?

3)
Escape restrained effects such as tanglevine and quicksand?

4)
Still perform its teleport when crippled?

5)
Move directly from zone A--> C and never touching Zone B in between?
If 1) is a "no". Then it could potentially skip a zone with enemy creature and allow for 2 zone movement.

6)
Avoid movement penalizing effects such as suppression orb and chains of agony?

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2013, 08:13:48 PM »
Discussion started in another thread:
http://forum.arcanewonders.com/index.php?topic=12635.15

What is the Intention of Blue Gremlin's Special ability?

While ability activated can the gremlin:

1)
Move unhindered?

2)
Ignore walls?

3)
Escape restrained effects such as tanglevine and quicksand?

4)
Still perform its teleport when crippled?

5)
Move directly from zone A--> C and never touching Zone B in between?
If 1) is a "no". Then it could potentially skip a zone with enemy creature and allow for 2 zone movement.

6)
Avoid movement penalizing effects such as suppression orb and chains of agony?

I don't know what the intent of the teleport ability is, but I think it's a pretty cool effect. I have four of these guys in my Wizard spellbook and love them. They are great for getting into a fortified enemy position, or bypassing walls that an opponent puts around your spawnpoint, among other things. In addition, they are relatively inexpensive to cast, and come with a defense and a reasonable attack considering the level of the creature.

To see if I can help with your questions:

1) The Blue Gremlin is not hindered when it moves using its special ability to teleport. Teleporting can move creatures even if they are "unmovable." He still would be attacked by Mangler Caltrops for example as he still is entering the zone, but the hindrance caused by them would be ignored while teleporting.

2) Teleporting creatures never are affected by walls (see the section on teleporting on p. 10). Note: the teleport spell (card) requires the caster to be in LOS of both the creature and the destination zone, but this is not the case for the Gremlin's special movement; he can move directly through a wall from one side to the other whether or not the wall blocks LOS.

3) Yes, since teleporting in general releases a creature from conjurations.

4) Crippled creatures are considered "restrained" and "restrained" creatures can teleport, so crippled creatures can teleport in general.

5) The Blue Gremlin still takes move actions to move between zones and gains the Fast trait, so he can not skip a zone to go from A to C, just as any other fast creature taking move actions to move two zones can not skip the zone in between when they move. It doesn't matter whether there is a creature in the "B" zone, as the Gremlin will continue to teleport out, ignoring the hindrance.

6) The Blue Gremlin's teleport ability still requires him to take move actions. Chains of Agony and such that specify that certain things happen when he moves still have their effect.
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2013, 12:48:18 AM »
I think this should be re-posted or moved to the rules forum, and I think answers are going to require authority or citations.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 01:58:19 AM by ringkichard »
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.